IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)

QuackQuack

I think Gabe said that the price point of the 64GB was painful but necessary. I assume they want to be able to say ‘starting from £350’, while massively disincentivising anyone from buying that model.   

Sounds like using the micro sd card is perfectly fine in most use cases so that is what the 64gb model is for. You can add another 256gb to it for about £22-25 or 512 for about £40

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

Sounds like using the micro sd card is perfectly fine in most use cases so that is what the 64gb model is for. You can add another 256gb to it for about £22-25 or 512 for about £40

Yeah, I ordered the 64gb version and will just put in a 400gb card.

My enthusiasm for this really dimmed since playing the OLED switch.

The screen is such a transformative upgrade that it seems a real backwards step to go to LCD. I know the moneys gone into horsepower instead, but after the Switch and my OLED C9 tv, I'm convinced OLED the biggest upgrade a gaming setup can get. I would recommend a PS4 and an OLED tv, than a PS5 and an LCD one.

Does the topline model have a better screen - I'm getting the middle one - maybe that was a mistake.

15 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

My enthusiasm for this really dimmed since playing the OLED switch. The screen is such a transformative upgrade that it seems a real backwards step to go to LCD.

This is the primary reason I'm not getting an OLED Switch. I'm fine with my LCD one, and my LCD telly thanks. I'm so stoked for the Deck, that I don't want to sour it before it even arrives. Mind you, I had the OLED Vita back in the day, and that didn't blow my mind visually at all (older tech perhaps, but it was just a nice screen to play games on).

Yeah, I saw the Switch screen as roughly the same as the OLED - Vita, but this is a huge jump up.

Really pleased with the 7inch screen on the deck as well. It's so much bigger than the old Switch screen, and so gives me a lot more confidence that PC games will be readable etc.

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

Yeah, I ordered the 64gb version and will just put in a 400gb card.

Same here. Portable emulation machine, with the ability to play Steam collection is an absolute no brainer.

I understand, and somewhat agree, with the OLED sentiments - but raw horsepower is going to blow the Switch out of the water in terms of gameplay response and graphical fidelity. 

It's a good starting point for people new to PC games, and the explanation of why it's verified or not is a lot more nuanced than Big Picture - a lot of early ports and PC games were scuppered to be accessible on BP Mode "out of the box" due to proprietary game launchers that handled settings before being launched.

Having a touchscreen immediately in front of you on the Deck, it's less of a pain in the arse, but I can see why it still needs to be highlighted.

Also, while I'm posting, Valve made a new twitter account that's been posting and sharing videos of developers and themselves playing games on the deck: https://twitter.com/OnDeck

One of the videos on the account shows someone fighting one of the later bosses in DMC5. There's also another video here by the same guy at an earlier point in the game, it just didn't fit into twitter's video sizes I guess: 

I had a go at fighting this particular boss on a 2400G APU setup, and it was *struggling* to maintain 60fps and frequently dropped when loading new assets, even at effectively 540p by ratcheting down resolution scaling. That quad-channel LPDDR5 really does help a standard APU, let alone the custom one Valve has here.

The big boy shit is going to be when I connect a laptop DVD drive via USB-C so I can run Microsoft Encarta 98 via WINE.

Finally, I get the experience of having an encyclopaedia, wherever I go.

(slightly off-topic, but there's also some Aya Neo videos floating around showing performance while playing Back 4 Blood, the PC demo of MH Rise and Metroid Dread via Yuzu, and all are in very respectable states which bodes well for the Deck playing them too. MH Rise hitting around 100fps on a relatively moderate AMD APU at default TDP is pretty fun stuff!)

Looking good! Between this and my Switch Oled I think I can just be 100% handheld. Saves a small fortune not having to buy a new TV and gaming PC, both of which need replacing.

4 hours ago, Sane said:

Looking good! Between this and my Switch Oled I think I can just be 100% handheld. Saves a small fortune not having to buy a new TV and gaming PC, both of which need replacing.

You keep telling yourself that ;)

There's Ryujinx as well, which is preferable if you want to upscale the internal resolution to 4K (which from seeing footage, makes Metroid Dread look amazing) - but Yuzu handles a lot more games smoothly from my understanding, and 4K isn't necessary on the Deck.

Unlike, say, having a CD drive hanging off of the back of the Deck for Microsoft Encarta 98.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my order for the 256gb in 6 mins after it opened and I've got a Q1 22 shipping date :( 

I wouldn't mind but it's supposed to be a Christmas present for the eldest so I'm going to have to give him a piece of paper with one drawn on with a "unlucky, lol" written underneath it.

My favourite part of the entire process thus far is that, whenever someone attempts to make a criticism about the device, it is willingly met with a chorus of people responding with "Yes, [reason] is an absolutely awful thing about the Steam Deck, and that's why you should cancel your preorder immediately".

Which is, really, completely correct. If you're reading this, you should cancel your Steam Deck pre-order.