Jump to content
IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve)


QuackQuack
 Share

Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, shirubagan said:

I'm looking forward to receiving this and having a £600 machine solely dedicated to OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast.

There's some fenagling involved because it doesn't play nicely with a pad out of the box, so to speak. The last time I tried you could alter some shit with an file and a small program but I can't find that anymore  so you might have to Joypadder it (if that's still a thing).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I genuinely believe that Steam input is one of the best things to happen in PC gaming in recent memory. 

 

The control options will be amazing on the Deck. The options and sheer control a Steam controller gives you has to be seen to be believed. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Surely Steam's controller configuration makes that moot? Joypadder is just a version of the same.

I tried to play it a couple of weeks ago through Steam link and it was unplayable without m&k but I've not set anything up, so unless it's in my face going USE THIS AND STOP MAKING LIFE DIFFICULT FOR YOURSELF I have no idea about it. I don't have the internet ATM so I can't even download it and have a look.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Mallet said:

I genuinely believe that Steam input is one of the best things to happen in PC gaming in recent memory. 


I do love me some Steam Input (especially wilder things like Radial Menus, that I used to basically make the otherwise useless right analogue stick hit shortcut keys in PSO: Blue Burst), but honestly after using it, the community and Valve's effort into making Proton has bettered it.

Even after multiple occasions of the compatibility layer just eating shit on certain games, there's something quite amazing about installing Steam on an absolutely foreign operating system, telling it to download a game that definitely has been made by a company that just doesn't care about platform curation, and just being able to play the fucking thing.

Arc Systems probably thinks Linux is a town in Western Europe, and it's not stopping me from having a blast on Guilty Gear Strive. It's great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Valve finally released their own trailer. I hadn't even realised we hadn't seen one from Valve until I saw it, it's a little strange that they didn't release a trailer on the day they announced it. Or did I miss one? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s interesting that they refer to it as a portable PC, rather than a handheld. I’m not sure what makes a system a PC anymore. Maybe the way you can freely load a different OS if you want? Deck is very much focussed on games, launched through their own SteamOS, and while I don’t have any experience with it, I imagine it’s not equivalent to Windows. So even though it’s a gaming handheld first and foremost, that they choose to refer to it as a PC is interesting, and says a lot about the customer base they’re trying to appeal to, I suppose. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The question I have now is.......how do I get my steam account back from my son??

 

I could very easily see myself using this and having watched the trailer I think that could be an amazing piece of kit. I pre-ordered on a whim, he's going to end up being the owner rather than me. Is this really the start of PC gaming without all that bollocks that comes with it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Popo said:

It’s interesting that they refer to it as a portable PC, rather than a handheld. I’m not sure what makes a system a PC anymore. Maybe the way you can freely load a different OS if you want? Deck is very much focussed on games, launched through their own SteamOS, and while I don’t have any experience with it, I imagine it’s not equivalent to Windows. So even though it’s a gaming handheld first and foremost, that they choose to refer to it as a PC is interesting, and says a lot about the customer base they’re trying to appeal to, I suppose. 

You don't need to load a different OS to use it as a PC. It's running Linux where you can do most of the same things you would do on Windows. The deck is essentially a Linux based laptop with a gaming form factor and a steam overlay and streamlining for games 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Uzi said:

You don't need to load a different OS to use it as a PC. It's running Linux where you can do most of the same things you would do on Windows. The deck is essentially a Linux based laptop with a gaming form factor and a steam overlay and streamlining for games 


Fair enough, I admit I haven’t used Steam OS, so I don’t know how versatile it is. It’ll be interesting to see if the Deck can be used to, say, do work on (and by the way, that’s one of the things that interests me most about this platform). Can I, for example, log into Google and use Workspace as effectively on a Windows or Mac laptop, that kind of thing. 
 

It’s exciting stuff. Cant wait to see the looks on bosses faces up and down the country as employees insist they’re working, honest. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Popo said:

It’s interesting that they refer to it as a portable PC, rather than a handheld. 


They literally call it a gaming handheld in the first sentence but yeah I get what you’re saying. I like that they’re pushing the fact that it is literally a PC.  It’s a key differentiator to what Sony and Nintendo have produced in the past.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Popo said:


Can I, for example, log into Google and use Workspace as effectively on a Windows or Mac laptop, that kind of thing. 

 

Anything web browser-based is intrinsically platform agnostic by design (edit: some companies might have tried to do proprietary crap though but the web was conceived with open standards in mind), web stuff on Linux is the same as when running on other OSes. Google's own OSes have generally been Linux-based under the hood.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still Q1 2022 for me. Can't say that I particularly mind - it means any teething problems will be well-noted, I'm in a queue instead of cruising websites for stock and I got time to save.
 

5 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Will it be available on Amazon or at other retailers? Or exklusively from Valve's web shop?


Probably just via Valve - I haven't seen them flog the Index VR stuff through retail, so it makes sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, simms said:

I’m set to get my Steam deck Q2, I’d love to get one before Christmas.  I’m hoping a glut of people cancel so I get moved up to December.  Has anyone here been moved forwards in the queue yet?

people aren't likely to cancel until they get offered to buy it so doubt queues will change 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nah. Phil Spencer likes lots of non ms things. Specifically because he isn't an online fan boy.

 

Game pass and Windows 10/11 gaming is meant to go hand in hand. Can't see ms doing anything to promote not using their OS

 

Nor would valve go out of their way to promote a gaming sub that gets them no steam cut. Makes sense for neither party 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why not? MS games are sold on steam too - just don't think it means game pass. The game pass dream is a bit weird and gamepass games are in an entirely different build and folder structure to other game stores and games on PC- its not like its impossible - it just needs a windows install which is doable out of the box. Game pass on a linux build just makes zero sense. I mean it if happens great!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Why not? MS games are sold on steam too - just don't think it means game pass. The game pass dream is a bit weird and gamepass games are in an entirely different build and folder structure to other game stores and games on PC- its not like its impossible - it just needs a windows install which is doable out of the box. Game pass on a linux build just makes zero sense. 

 

Absolutely. Why wouldn't MS want to jump in on the fun - especially as they're all about getting Gamepass on everything, everywhere! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If xCloud is working, presumably through the browser, then I'm guessing Geforce Now and Stadia will also work. 

 

 

The whole idea of MS offering some sort of Game Pass subscription inside of Steam is a rumour thats always bubbling away but there's never been any sort of proof its happening.  Theory is that it'd be like the way EA Play works on Steam now where the version of GamePass that exists on Steam would be a cut down version of the Windows Store version. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.