IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

18 hours ago, Popo said:

So the only thing I’d say about it is, once I set the community profile, it all worked, but the steering, braking and acceleration are all digital inputs mapped to analogue inputs, which is a shame. 

Is it possible to tweak the controller profile to get analogue input? Or was the game always digital input only? It’s been so long I can hardly remember. 

You definitely can do it - I have the analogue triggers for brake and accelerate and the analogue stick for steering. I'm just using the "Gamepad With Joystick Trackpad" controller profile for it and it works fine. The only niggle I have with it is that it displays the keyboard controls in-game, but in practice it's running like I'm using an Xbox controller.

5 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Production has been ramped up quite a bit though, recently. While you're not going to get a Deck in October from a new pre-order, you shouldn't have to wait quite as long as we've had to. 

Hopefully.:ph34r:

Certainly. The Deck didn't ship until seven months after orders opened, after all. 

Of course, the trouble with PC gaming is that you're stuck behind a desk, and that just feels like work.

PXL_20220709_124308719.thumb.jpg.fb7801bf4dec6f51aedddade9aa0ceb4.jpg

:D

I was trying to get a good shot of the anti-glare screen outdoors, and it actually looks a lot better than it does on camera. It won't handle direct sunlight, obviously, but otherwise it's brilliant.

47 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Of course, the trouble with PC gaming is that you're stuck behind a desk, and that just feels like work.

I was trying to get a good shot of the anti-glare screen outdoors, and it actually looks a lot better than it does on camera. It won't handle direct sunlight, obviously, but otherwise it's brilliant.

Love the little kitty chilling with you buddy. 

I am having an absolute blast just tinkering away. Getting close to having it fully gaming ready from all fronts, but the beautiful thing about this is how often the community will pop up with something new to try. Going to be amazing. 

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

what game is that? I like the style. 

1 hour ago, LaveDisco said:

what game is that? I like the style. 

It's Thronebreaker, the single player Gwent game that came out a while ago. I'd been meaning to play it for ages, and it's perfect for the Steam Deck.

I ended up playing a bunch of Citizen Sleeper instead though. I started it on my desktop ages ago, but while I enjoyed what I played it was clearly better suited to a handheld, and I didn't fancy starting over on the Switch. Luckily it's also perfect for Xbox game streaming as so much of it is basically static, so I was able to pick up right where I left off on the Deck. 

It's definitely worth doing the user agent trick for the higher quality stream though, unless you like fuzzy text and eye strain. ;)

Has there been any updates of note for Lutris?

I have Heroic for Epic / GOG, but need to always launch the launcher to access those games, whereas apparently Lutris allows you to add games as non-steam games individually. Unless GOG being DRM Free means I can just add them when I find the exe. 

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

Has there been any updates of note for Lutris?

I have Heroic for Epic / GOG, but need to always launch the launcher to access those games, whereas apparently Lutris allows you to add games as non-steam games individually. Unless GOG being DRM Free means I can just add them when I find the exe. 

I haven't tried it, but the Heroic Bash Launcher can automatically add your Heroic games as individual entries in Steam.

https://github.com/redromnon/HeroicBashLauncher/wiki/Steam-Deck-(Flatpak)-Guide

Sekiro looks amazing on a mix of high and max settings capped to 40hz.

Unfortunately the input delay you get with 40hz makes the game borderline unplayable because of the tiny parry window.

Capping to 50hz doesn’t really improve things either.

I’ll have to play it bouncing between 40-60fps. Which is pretty much what FromSoftware intended anyway lol.

4 hours ago, Strafe said:

Sekiro looks amazing on a mix of high and max settings capped to 40hz.

Unfortunately the input delay you get with 40hz makes the game borderline unplayable because of the tiny parry window.

I haven't found any issues with 40 to be honest! I have an idea to get 60 though... Two ticks! 

You can get 55 to 60 using a lower resolution, and using the decks FSR upscaling, plus some lower settings. Not a compromise I would make though as image quality goes down big style unfortunately. 

6 minutes ago, bradigor said:

What's the known best settings for Cyberpunk right now? Is the Steam Deck preset still booked?

I basically copied Digital Foundry's settings from this video:

It runs well enough at around 30fps if you turn down the same options, although it probably needs more settings lowered to get a stable 30fps. It also absolutely murdered the battery life for me and sent the fans into overdrive, so it's probably not the best game to play on the system.

This was all using the GOG version though, so the Steam version might be a bit friendlier.

On 08/07/2022 at 17:30, Popo said:

So the only thing I’d say about it is, once I set the community profile, it all worked, but the steering, braking and acceleration are all digital inputs mapped to analogue inputs, which is a shame. 

Is it possible to tweak the controller profile to get analogue input? Or was the game always digital input only? It’s been so long I can hardly remember. 

So in the end I binned off the single community developed controller profile and used the ‘game pad with joystick trackpad’ template and it now works like a dream. No more digital inputs mapped to analogue buttons. Anyone who wants to play the game, I suggest choosing that profile. 

3 hours ago, SuperCapes said:

I haven't found any issues with 40 to be honest! I have an idea to get 60 though... Two ticks! 

You can get 55 to 60 using a lower resolution, and using the decks FSR upscaling, plus some lower settings. Not a compromise I would make though as image quality goes down big style unfortunately. 

I’ve found the frame rate doesn’t get hugely affected by putting the settings down (well, max to high doesn’t seem to do anything).

How far have you got using 40? I couldn’t parry for shit once I got to some of the more capable enemies. As it happens, it’s the same issue I had when it launched. I started playing without enabling game mode on my tv and got battered. Once I put game mode on (and that lowered the latency from like 120 to 35ms) it clicked.

5 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I’ve found the frame rate doesn’t get hugely affected by putting the settings down (well, max to high doesn’t seem to do anything).

How far have you got using 40? I couldn’t parry for shit once I got to some of the more capable enemies. As it happens, it’s the same issue I had when it launched. I started playing without enabling game mode on my tv and got battered. Once I put game mode on (and that lowered the latency from like 120 to 35ms) it clicked.

Aye I was praying for some big wins and some FSR stuff to get it to 60 locked but no dice. Close, but the result is not great. 

I was able to get to The Bull with few issues (still stutters occasionally). 

I must say the most impressive thing I have seen so far is Resi 8. 60 FPS and it is just god darn gorgeous. That engine is magic, and the Steam Deck seems to love it. 

Emudeck: Indigo Prophecy (PS2) and Banjo & Kazooie don't appear in my Steam Library. Anyone know what to do about it? Tried it serval times with Steam Rom Manager. The games work fine when starting them via Emustation.

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

Emudeck: Indigo Prophecy (PS2) and Banjo & Kazooie don't appear in my Steam Library. Anyone know what to do about it? Tried it serval times with Steam Rom Manager. The games work fine when starting them via Emustation.

Are they named properly? As in the files themselves? 

Do they show at all in SRM? Or are they also missing in preview.

2 hours ago, bradigor said:

Are they named properly? As in the files themselves? 

Do they show at all in SRM? Or are they also missing in preview.

They do show in SRM and work fine. They are the only ROMs that don't appear in my Steam Library though. Names should be alright.

12 minutes ago, alex3d said:

They do show in SRM and work fine. They are the only ROMs that don't appear in my Steam Library though. Names should be alright.

Hmmm, if you search their names in Gaming Mode, does it list them in the results? I had a couple of games from SRM that never went where they should do. So had to move them manually. 

The L1 bumper on my deck is bust. It works but only on very hard presses or sometimes not at all.

I’ve checked out the videos for self repair and that’s beyond me, unfortunately. What’s the best option?

12 minutes ago, Strafe said:

The L1 bumper on my deck is bust. It works but only on very hard presses or sometimes not at all.

I’ve checked out the videos for self repair and that’s beyond me, unfortunately. What’s the best option?

RMA via Steam. They just replace it with a new one. So make sure to back everything up. I am not sure if you can greate your own image from your current Deck state or not. However, everything on your MicroSD will work just fine once you get the new one and set your account up. 

I did unscrew the back to take a look, that won’t affect things, right? And do you know how long it takes usually?

It’s a 512gb so everything is on there, don’t need to worry about backing anything up I guess.

10 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I did unscrew the back to take a look, that won’t affect things, right? And do you know how long it takes usually?

It’s a 512gb so everything is on there, don’t need to worry about backing anything up I guess.

Not a clue on timeframe sorry. If it is a 512 system you will lose everything. As it is a straight swap not an actual repair. 

Welp. I bought an SD card today, mainly so I can use it for emulation, and have just installed Emudeck, using the guide @Ry posted earlier, but I guess the tool has moved on a bit since then, and specifically, the way you download and install it has completely changed - there’s no more option to choose the SD card installer. I ran the (now unified) installer, and it asked me if I wanted easy mode or expert installation, and not considering myself an expert on the matter, I chose the former, but that meant it auto-selected the internal storage to place the roms folder.

Question to anyone who uses Emudeck - can I change this after the fact?

I'm now running Lutris and Heroic alongside each other. 

Heroic will cover most* of my EPIC and GOG games, with Lutris being for Origin, Humble and when I can work it out the individual launchers for those too. I love how open this all is and it will only get better as more and more get their hands on them. 

Got everything setup and then played Mixolumika again for an hour :lol: 

*Cyberpunk for some reason wouldn't install via Heroic, so had to do it with Lutris. 

3 minutes ago, Popo said:

Welp. I bought an SD card today, mainly so I can use it for emulation, and have just installed Emudeck, using the guide @Ry posted earlier, but I guess the tool has moved on a bit since then, and specifically, the way you download and install it has completely changed - there’s no more option to choose the SD card installer. I ran the (now unified) installer, and it asked me if I wanted easy mode or expert installation, and not considering myself an expert on the matter, I chose the former, but that meant it auto-selected the internal storage to place the roms folder.

Question to anyone who uses Emudeck - can I change this after the fact?

As far as I am aware, it should still give you the choice. Had you formateed the SD card first?

Edit:

• If you plan to store your roms on a SD card..Format your SD Card in Steam UI. SD Cards need to be on ext4 (or btrfs) to work on EmuDeck. Then go into Desktop mode by pressing the STEAM button, Power -> Switch to Desktop
  • Download the Installer down below, copy that file to your Deck's Desktop and run it.
  • Now close Steam and run Steam Rom Manager when asked by the app.
  • Click on Preview, then Generate App list, wait for all the images to download and then click Save App list. The first time it could take some minutes, check on the Event Log tab to know when the process is finished.
  • Close Steam Rom Manager and the Installer window, click on "Return to game mode" on your desktop and you are good to go!

BONUS: You can use EmuDeck with EmulationStation right out of the box, no configuration needed! After you run Steam Rom Manager you will see it on Steam in a new Emulation Collection

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK