IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

Euro Truck Sim plays really well on it. I do need to give ATS a go still. 

Tempted by the Prototype games. Got a hankering for 360 era games at the moment. 

It's here too! Just plugged it in and now it's downloading updates.

Initial impressions- very nicely built and like others, much lighter than I was expecting.

1 minute ago, Popo said:

Cant get used to the A/B button placement!

First game I’m installing is OutRun 2006 C2C, which is not verified - wish me luck!

How are you installing? Did you buy it years ago? 

8 minutes ago, Ry said:

How are you installing? Did you buy it years ago? 

Yep, I’ve owned it since release I think. 

All the buttons need mapping! To the Google mobile, I suppose. 

1 minute ago, Popo said:

PC C2C retail copy owners represent! o/\o

I don't have a Deck and I just about got it working on my Win10 desktop through much fiddling. Worth it though.

13 minutes ago, bignige said:

I would try googling my abandon ware dot com

Have looked into it before. Too much of a faff to get it up on steam deck. For me anyway. 

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

If you install Epic or GOG games using Heroic, do they still support all funky usual Steam OS stuff like suspend/resume, FPS caps and the like?

I'm just wondering if there's any reason to rebuy anything on Steam for the sake of better features.

Sorry to quote myself, but does anyone have an answer to this? Google hasn't been too helpful, and I can't help but notice that the Steam sale ends today.:ph34r:

22 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Sorry to quote myself, but does anyone have an answer to this? Google hasn't been too helpful, and I can't help but notice that the Steam sale ends today.:ph34r:

I've repurchased a few games on Steam, to be honest. Thanks to the pre-configured shaders, you'll get better performance often with games running through Steam itself rather than Heroic, plus it's a much more console-like, seamless experience. There's definitely more faff involved getting stuff to run outside of Steam.

Basically, if it's a game you really like and you can get it cheaply enough right now, re-purchasing in Steam will give you the best experience. But you'll certainly have a fine experience through Heroic.

Edit: I didn't answer your actual question! I just tried and suspend mode definitely seems to work just fine with one of my Heroic Launcher games. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine the FPS cap would affect everything running through Heroic, not just individual games. I only have one game installed right now though, so couldn't say for sure.

53 minutes ago, Popo said:

Let me know how easy. It's the first thing I'm installing when I finally get mine. 

47 minutes ago, Zio said:

I've repurchased a few games on Steam, to be honest. Thanks to the pre-configured shaders, you'll get better performance often with games running through Steam itself rather than Heroic, plus it's a much more console-like, seamless experience. There's definitely more faff involved getting stuff to run outside of Steam.

Basically, if it's a game you really like and you can get it cheaply enough right now, re-purchasing in Steam will give you the best experience. But you'll certainly have a fine experience through Heroic.

Edit: I didn't answer your actual question! I just tried and suspend mode definitely seems to work just fine with one of my Heroic Launcher games. I don't know for sure, but I would imagine the FPS cap would affect everything running through Heroic, not just individual games. I only have one game installed right now though, so couldn't say for sure.

Thanks a lot for this. :) I hadn't even thought about the shader cache, but it does sound like Steam native games are the way to go.

I spent a bit of time setting up Heroic and Xbox Game Streaming over lunch. Not much to say about the former yet, other than it works, but I had a really quick go on Chorus through game streaming and it ran really well. It was a much better experience than I've had across two different phones, and about as good as I've seen my desktop on a wired connection. It didn't look as good as a native game, as expected, but it certainly looked good enough. I didn't notice any input lag either.

I also quickly set up Anydesk after struggling with the desktop for a few minutes, and I highly recommend it if you're going to be doing anything vaguely fiddly, like setting up Heroic and Xbox Game Streaming. :D

I have to say, this is a beautiful piece of tech. The interface is also very good, and does an impressive job of presenting games designed for PCs intuitively on a small screen.

Aperture Desk Job does a brilliant job of getting you familiar with the controls, and is properly funny.

I'm struggling with L1 and R2 a bit, with them sitting just outside of my range of movement, unless I move the unit in my hands a bit. The same is true for L4/5 and R4/5, although slightly less so, as the unit slides quite easily into a grip hold that makes them more accessible

1 minute ago, Mogster said:

I also quickly set up Anydesk after struggling with the desktop for a few minutes, and I highly recommend it if you're going to be doing anything vaguely fiddly, like setting up Heroic and Xbox Game Streaming. :D

Both this and WinSCP are essential. Basically allows you to do things all via your PC. 

1 hour ago, Popo said:

There's a user created profile for Outroon 2006 for steam deck which just works.

33 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

Outrun Online Arcade works flawlessly at 60fps on RPCS3 if you have any trouble with 2006.

That version is missing tracks, mind.

Can't wait to get mine to see if I can get OR2SPDX up and running via teknoparrot without the need for Windows.

5 minutes ago, watusi said:

There's a user created profile for Outroon 2006 for steam deck which just works.

That's great news!  I'll have a look for it, although if you've got the link to hand and can share it that would be magic.

26 minutes ago, Popo said:

That's great news!  I'll have a look for it, although if you've got the link to hand and can share it that would be magic.

I don't think you can share profiles like that - they are, however, assigned to the game ID or the name of the game itself if it's a non-Steam game. It'll just be there when you browse the community controller profiles (clicking the controller icon in the SteamOS game page, and then pressing the current recommended configuration. There will be default profiles, and pressing right will be the community created ones)

35 minutes ago, Siri said:

I don't think you can share profiles like that - they are, however, assigned to the game ID or the name of the game itself if it's a non-Steam game. It'll just be there when you browse the community controller profiles (clicking the controller icon in the SteamOS game page, and then pressing the current recommended configuration. There will be default profiles, and pressing right will be the community created ones)

Oh, right you are!  I see how this works now, splendid!

I am happy to report that OutRun 2006 C2C runs perfectly!

2 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

That version is missing tracks, mind.

Can't wait to get mine to see if I can get OR2SPDX up and running via teknoparrot without the need for Windows.

Oh cool, I had no idea.  Assumed all the versions were kinda the same.  

9 minutes ago, Popo said:

This thing is a joy. The anti-glare screen is gorgeous, the speakers are also excellent quality. 

The speakers are amazing.  Valve are top drawer when it comes to audio...the Index mic array and near field speakers are excellent as well.  As Linus has said, "Hurry up and make a gaming headset already."

8 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

Oh cool, I had no idea.  Assumed all the versions were kinda the same.  

Yeah - it has the SP tracks, but not the original OR2 ones. It was released when there was a file size limit for XBLA games (which was later lifted) and Sumo couldn't cram them all in.

I wish someone would post an idiot proof method of installing Outrun via abandonware for those without a PC. 

Before I sold my first deck I just played the PSP version and it had some issues. 

Also, my reservation is still July-Sept and I ordered within mins of preorders going live!

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK