Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

20 hours ago, fatbob said:

My email just came through. I have 2 days to decide. 😬

Order it! I’ll absolutely take it if you don’t want it once it arrives. Happy to pay over RRP for your troubles too 👀

I did order it in the end! I had budgeted for it.

I really want it, it just came in one of those months where the car needed work doing and a bunch of house problems needed fixing so it gave me pause for thought, you know how it is! 😅

I was on the fence about mine - glad I kept it though! It's a great machine! You're basically getting a more powerful version of the Switch, pre-hacked so you can put whatever shit you want on it (including Switch games if you're naughty), that has more and cheaper games available for it.

Oh, also I finally got around to playing Aperture Desk Job today. It's only about 30 mins long and is to the Steam Deck what 1-2-Switch was to that console - essentially less game and more "this is what this thing does". Only unlike 1-2-Switch it's:

a) free

and

b) really very good indeed.

9 hours ago, MattKB said:

Can anyone recommend a AC adapter? I’m using the Apple iPad usb C one but the Deck tells me it’s not powerful enough to charge it.

Why not the one that came with it?

Got FH5 running well using low settings and FSR and yeah it confirms my suspicions. Games like FH5, TDU, etc are made and handheld gaming. 

Great to relax with on the sofa for a couple of hours.

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

Why not the one that came with it?

I will but would be easier to have a few AC adapters round the house and a usb c cable in the case which I can just carry around with me rather than unplug re plug each time. 

Outside of the supplied adapter I use near me at home, I use a 45w Samsung Travel Power Adapter. They go for about 25-30 quid when on sale, slips fairly nearly into the Deck's case recess, and it has enough PD juice to power the deck from mains and charge the battery at around 20w. When the deck is off, it'll charge the battery at the maximum rate it can actually support.

It's not the 65w charger supplied with the deck so it won't charge the battery as fast while it's actually playing games - but on the other hand, playing games while the battery's charging from 0-80% makes the charging IC go absolutely apeshit and it reaches its absolute thermal limit, so it's probably for the best that it charges slower while gaming.

6 hours ago, Siri said:

Outside of the supplied adapter I use near me at home, I use a 45w Samsung Travel Power Adapter. They go for about 25-30 quid when on sale, slips fairly nearly into the Deck's case recess, and it has enough PD juice to power the deck from mains and charge the battery at around 20w. When the deck is off, it'll charge the battery at the maximum rate it can actually support.

It's not the 65w charger supplied with the deck so it won't charge the battery as fast while it's actually playing games - but on the other hand, playing games while the battery's charging from 0-80% makes the charging IC go absolutely apeshit and it reaches its absolute thermal limit, so it's probably for the best that it charges slower while gaming.

If it is the same one, this is £18.76 at amazon now with cable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082SZYR3K?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=pepperugc03-21&ascsubtag=2366561561

Lego Star Wars the Skywalker Saga is a mixed bag on deck, at times it runs very well on high settings and at other points the framerate chokes regardless of what settings you lower (episode 2 the droid factory being a good case in point).

Also the dynamic resolution is very aggressive regardless of frame rate from what I can tell. I wish there was a way to disable it like in FF7 remake.

My word. Modded Test Drive Unlimited to TDU Platinum and it adds so much extra to it, more cars, more music, more options and better AI. It runs buttery smooth too. 

Highly recommended.

11 hours ago, cavalcade said:

I might've missed this in the thread - but what is the CEMU performance like? Could you get 60fps on Mario Kart 8?

Looks perfectly playable. I would presume split-screen is out of the question though.

11 hours ago, cavalcade said:

I might've missed this in the thread - but what is the CEMU performance like? Could you get 60fps on Mario Kart 8?

One whole FPS more than on the Wii U? Unpossible.

27 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Has anyone played The Quarry on Steam Deck? Just been reading reviews saying it runs like absolute garbage, wondered if anyone could confirm before I bite the bullet please

A few videos on YouTube show it looking very janky.

Yeah, looks like it hovers around 20-40 even with tweaking the settings.

Although that's better than day 1 results, where the game wouldn't load because of 2K Games' worthless launcher app.