IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

49 minutes ago, Siri said:

Also: Ayo? 👀 nice to see some deck journalism

No. I started as an intern for a PR company (at 40 and blind I needed s career change) and playing an early build of a game.

That is one really nice thing about the deck actually, from considering your condition and reading about another person on Reddit being thankful for PoE's controller support as it highlights nearby objects and helps with their sight problems - The deck fits in that range of distance that I can actually find it legible to read without glasses.

Even at my work desk right now, if I take them off I can't see fuck all on the screen * - same at home and playing games, even from my desk on a big monitor. As a result, must of my post-sleep procrastination involved reading from phones and tablets. Now I can cater to my horrible diablo clone addiction - a bit like how I ended up playing Shin Megami Tensei IV on the 3DS for days on end.

It's not a unique thing - portables have been that way for ages, as mentioned by the SMT addiction. But even laptops didn't really get you that legibility for your PC games, unless you had it sat right in front of your face, and at that point you couldn't use the keyboard/trackpad right anyway.

It's just a really nice compromise that fits in that 'pick up and play' mentality, and it's rarely been seen for PC games unless you pay thousands for ultra-portable class machines of yore.

Spoiler

* Sometimes, this is a bonus when at work

I'm just playing Undermine and Cuphead on mine, like a Switch but with Steam replacing the Nintendo eshop. It's just really nice to play on, I've got used to the stick positioning now and all the buttons feel great, moving from playing Cuphead on a pad I thought it might be a bit clumsy but I've not blamed them for a death yet.

Fun fact: every time I see someone mention Undermine, my mind immediately links it to Underrail, which my phone immediately corrects me to refer to Undertale.

All three of these games can be played on Steam Deck. All three are... tonally different to one another, certainly.

FYI: there's a new update that does a couple of minor fixes.

The most notable one being that per-game performance profiles can now be set for non-steam games, too. Previously, they all shared the same profile, and that was not intentional.

Obviously, that's good when you want to plug in the DVD drive, install Microsoft Encarta 98 and then run a 3w power tweak straight off of SteamOS while you're finding out more about Pompeii. Obviously.

EDIT: I just realised that, on the day of Path of Exile's new league, I can set up a macro in Steam Input to hit all five utility flask buttons instead of manually hitting them to survive.

It doesn't even have to be mapped to a button itself - I can tell Steam Input to hit them when I'm tilting the stick to move. Or tap the top of the thumbsticks because of the capacitive touch.

image.png.c4a878cd0dfef7176faa2f92b1123783.png

The Steam Client now has collection filters for Steam Deck compatibility. So make a new 'Dynamic Collection' in your library and filter by verified, playable for your whole library. The collection will update itself as titles get verified.

22 hours ago, yashiro said:

The Steam Client now has collection filters for Steam Deck compatibility. So make a new 'Dynamic Collection' in your library and filter by verified, playable for your whole library. The collection will update itself as titles get verified.

I've created a dynamic collection on the desktop Steam client but cannot find a verified filter.  Are you on the beta version of the client?

Windows Audio Drivers are out. https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/6121-ECCD-D643-BAA8

You will have to re-install the video driver (APU driver) from that link too.

This driver is updated as of May 13, 2022. You will need this updated version for audio support. If you already have the old driver, make sure to tick the "factory reset" checkbox in the installer.

3 hours ago, simms said:

I've created a dynamic collection on the desktop Steam client but cannot find a verified filter.  Are you on the beta version of the client?

You probably need to restart Steam. Once I did, it installed an update on next launch and the option appeared.

332 games in the verified/playable lists. Nice.

10 hours ago, watusi said:

So then I now have a steam deck, thanks to @Lochenvar  it’s a lovely thing, does anyone have any recommendations for a screen protector? Wouldn’t bother but kids!

I'd suggest just shopping around for any sort of tempered glass protectors - I got the Benzacap one from Amazon and it's perfectly fine and fits well (although the fitting accessories are crap), but by now there's probably matt finish protectors which would be much better for the 64/256gb models.

If you got a 512, I'm not sure it's recommended to get one, as it fucks around with the etched screen finish iirc.

In other news: 13 hours of Path of Exile's new league racked up on the deck already. The new league opened up at 9pm on Friday:coffee: Playing on the Deck is pretty much the best thing about the entire league - admittedly, that's not saying much because a lot of people are malding over the rare monster changes, but I'm having an incredibly comfortable time while being destroyed in-game, so that makes it a lot more bearable!

21 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

You probably need to restart Steam. Once I did, it installed an update on next launch and the option appeared.

332 games in the verified/playable lists. Nice.

Cheers, that worked.  411 games verified, only another 2129 games to go

Yeah, that should be fine - the requirements are that it's an NVME SSD, is the 2230 standard size and all the chips are on one side, which it looks like this Kioxia drive follows.

(I think it's a BG4 series, from the product code, and I know there's some posts on Reddit that recommend that SSD along with the usual SN530 fare)

Given people with 512gb reservations at 18:13 have had there’s and I am 18:15 I have decided that today will be the day I get the email.

I can feel it.

16 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Let us know how it goe! Still looking for someone to do mine at some point, as I have no hope of doing myself. 

Looks "easy" enough after watching walkthrough videos.

I will probably end up reporting back when my Deck is no longer working!

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK