Jump to content
IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK


QuackQuack
 Share

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, deKay said:


To save having to watch the whole thing, why?

The fan noise is high pitched and doesn’t pass the “significant other” test of being able to sit together and not annoy one’s SO as they watch the telly and you play your GPU intensive game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So it looks like pre-orders have updated.

 

Mine has changed from after Q2 to after Q3.

 

Apparently there’s people who preordered within an hour and they’ve been bumped to after Q3 too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They do say that this was with the pre-release builds of Steam OS with no working limiters. i.e. it was running full pelt all the time. Rich has one but he doesn't know wtf he's doing. Alex doesn't have one so you can discount his views. The other guy used it for a short while, again, using the pre-release OS and unit.

 

This sound is probably not practical for couch playing.

 

I'm not saying this issue doesn't exist but if you DON'T run the unit at full blast it won't make noise. I'd rather get more feedback from real users than press people at this point. That video seems to suggest it's an issue with the air escaping through the casing, not the actual fan spinning. Defective unit maybe?

 

Also, look at the battery hyperbole in the press a couple of weeks back. The battery only lasts 90 mins! OMG!

Yeah, if you run games uncapped, at max power, max fps, wtf do you expect. I'd be more worried that it's the 'PS4 fan' problem surfacing again. As in, there are different types of fan in use and some of them are shite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That high pitch fan wine is one of the many factors that explain why Nintendo made the decisions they did. 

 

I still really want mine, but I get the feeling it's going to be a trainwreck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, T Pot said:

So it looks like pre-orders have updated.

 

Mine has changed from after Q2 to after Q3.

 

Apparently there’s people who preordered within an hour and they’ve been bumped to after Q3 too.

Mine's changed from 'After Q2 2022' to 'Q3 2022' but surely they're the same thing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was a video posted a few pages back of RDR2 lasting for 3 hours. Honestly, if that’s disappointing to you then you had unrealistic expectations for the battery life. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, T Pot said:

Apparently there’s people who preordered within an hour and they’ve been bumped to after Q3 too.

 

Yes, I got in within an hour and I was "after Q2" and am now "after Q3".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone had a go at getting itch running on one? There's a Linux itch client which I know works, and the Linux games under it work too (I assume) but anyone got the Windows based games via it working?

 

At a guess, you would be able to run the Windows itch client installer under Steam/proton which would then give you access to the Windows game binaries which would then run under proton - like how you can with Epic - but anyone done it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can give a perspective on the fan noise. I've been playing in bed most nights for an hour before sleep. The wife has been next to me and is sensitive to noise when trying to get to sleep and it hasn't been an issue. Like most fan noises, after just a little time it becomes white noise you sort of tune out. 

 

Everyone's situation is different but I certainly wouldn't let it put you off. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, deKay said:

 

Yes, I got in within an hour and I was "after Q2" and am now "after Q3".

 

48 minutes ago, Danster said:

And me :(


What size have you guys ordered? I ordered a 512GB model about 4 days after the pre-orders went live and mine has changed from ‘After Q2’ to ‘Q3’. 
 

To be honest the more I hear about all the PC gaming faffing about and altering settings the less I want one so there’s a good chance I’ll stick it up for sale here when it arrives. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, SuperFamiTom said:

 


What size have you guys ordered? I ordered a 512GB model about 4 days after the pre-orders went live and mine has changed from ‘After Q2’ to ‘Q3’. 

 

256. Although given the SSD benchmarks being woeful I probably should have got the one without an SSD.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, SuperFamiTom said:

 


What size have you guys ordered? I ordered a 512GB model about 4 days after the pre-orders went live and mine has changed from ‘After Q2’ to ‘Q3’. 
 

To be honest the more I hear about all the PC gaming faffing about and altering settings the less I want one so there’s a good chance I’ll stick it up for sale here when it arrives. 

512 here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, SuperFamiTom said:

To be honest the more I hear about all the PC gaming faffing about and altering settings the less I want one

 

I wouldn't worry about that at all. You're hearing from people who are interested in the technology and how far it'll be pushed, rather than those who just want to play the games.

 

When I play games on my PC, I generally just leave things at the default settings, because I've no interest in tuning things. And things work well and the games are playable and fun, and while there's no battery here to concern myself with, that in itself is a discussion being had by the tuners pushing things as far as they'll go.

 

Wait, what am I saying - you should probably cancel your pre-order!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dukesy said:

I can give a perspective on the fan noise. I've been playing in bed most nights for an hour before sleep. The wife has been next to me and is sensitive to noise when trying to get to sleep and it hasn't been an issue. Like most fan noises, after just a little time it becomes white noise you sort of tune out. 

 

Everyone's situation is different but I certainly wouldn't let it put you off. 


Thank you. That is encouraging. Hopefully get more fan noise impressions as more people get one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

 

I wouldn't worry about that at all. You're hearing from people who are interested in the technology and how far it'll be pushed, rather than those who just want to play the games.

 

When I play games on my PC, I generally just leave things at the default settings, because I've no interest in tuning things. And things work well and the games are playable and fun, and while there's no battery here to concern myself with, that in itself is a discussion being had by the tuners pushing things as far as they'll go.

 

Wait, what am I saying - you should probably cancel your pre-order!

 

True, but at the same time these are also the people most likely to be happy to tweak and fiddle things. The users who aren't surprised when something doesn't work quite right. Not as likely to throw toys when their PC game doesn't show the right (or any) controller icons against onscreen buttons. In this case we're talking about games running through a compatibility layer separate from the game so I think we should be careful about convincing people to jump in if they're not used to this or prepared for it.

 

9 minutes ago, jonamok said:


Thank you. That is encouraging. Hopefully get more fan noise impressions as more people get one.

 

Encouraging in that some people can learn to ignore it?

 

Fan noise is a really difficult one because it will drive some people mad and others will never even notice it. Combined with the fact that it will vary to an extent per unit and depend on your game selection (i.e. more demanding games will use the fan more) and setup (headphones might negate the issue for you depending on your setting).

 

It's also tricky to demonstrate in a video. Like how loud is video? Where is the mic? How sensitive is the mic? Etc

 

Anyway, I guess this is one of those where it's basically impossible to know without trying it for yourself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thesnwmn said:

True, but at the same time these are also the people most likely to be happy to tweak and fiddle things. The users who aren't surprised when something doesn't work quite right. Not as likely to throw toys when their PC game doesn't show the right (or any) controller icons against onscreen buttons. In this case we're talking about games running through a compatibility layer separate from the game so I think we should be careful about convincing people to jump in if they're not used to this or prepared for it.

 

The Verified system has us covered there. If a game doesn't show the right buttons, it doesn't get Verified status. If it glitches in even some small way, it doesn't get Playable status.

 

On the face of it I think Valve are doing a good job of making it as clear as can be with PC games what the Deck can and can't do, what it is and what it isn't. I don't think it's a system you'll need to be constantly adjusting settings in pursuit of an ideal battery life or frame rate unless that's already your bag.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can basically lock a game to 30/60 fps in the steam OS overlay menu leave the game at default settings or set to medium/low for most cases (on that small a screen you don't need high/ultra unless very old game) and that should have you covered pretty much all of the time. Literally maybe a minute of selecting things to suit your preference.

 

But we're in a world where I have genuinely seen some people complaint about console games having both quality and performance modes so I think no matter how straightforward and once and done settings there are, there is a part of the gamer market that wants a very one button dumb walled garden experience like the switch and you will absolutely not get that here. It's a PC. It's not a console. It's not a switch. It's not a vita. It's not a handheld PS4. It's a PC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Can this play Elden Ring? Worth it for that alone. 

Yes Elden Ring is a verified deck game. Assuming shipping doesn't take forever its insane to know I can explore Elden Ring in bed this week maybe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

Yes Elden Ring is a verified deck game. Assuming shipping doesn't take forever its insane to know I can explore Elden Ring in bed this week maybe.

I’d like to say I’m not jealous, but I’m so jealous :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.