IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

4 hours ago, Big Swifty said:

Yeah I think I read that in the article in this month's Edge. I reckon the next iteration may push the premium version angle even further, by the tone of it he was pleasantly surprised how many people went for it.

Gabe said elsewhere that they're aware that people buying now are early adopters. I'd imagine Deck 2's screen/storage specs will be lead by the data.

3 hours ago, squirtle said:

Does anyone have one of these yet? If so, would you be able to test Shudder on it? I'm sure I have some keys for it somewhere so won't cost you anything.

I will have next week, drop me a PM!

2 hours ago, monkeydog said:

Gabe said elsewhere that they're aware that people buying now are early adopters. I'd imagine Deck 2's screen/storage specs will be lead by the data.

I imagine their ultimate aim with this is to attract people to PC gaming / the Steam ecosystem who wouldn't have considered it previously though. So I'd be surprised if they don't try to keep a model around with close to console level pricing.

Storage could be a problem that has other solutions by the time Valve comes out with a second iteration. SD cards are becoming more SSD-like, with some supporting wear levelling now, and PCIe 4.0 support in an upcoming spec. So they might be saying "the load times off SD cards actually aren't that bad" again, even if there are games relying on DirectStorage etc by that point.

Will be interesting to see what "Deck Verified" ends up meaning once they have different models with varying capabilities. Could be a bit of a headache. Like a game could hit all the basic criteria (portable-friendly UI, controller support, Proton support or Linux native version) but only provide a good experience on the higher tier of hardware, just because it's that demanding? That's just how PCs work though. I mean it's already a bit of a moving target for developers, what with users being able to fiddle with the settings as they please.

15 hours ago, Rorschach said:

Will be interesting to see what "Deck Verified" ends up meaning once they have different models with varying capabilities. Could be a bit of a headache. Like a game could hit all the basic criteria (portable-friendly UI, controller support, Proton support or Linux native version) but only provide a good experience on the higher tier of hardware, just because it's that demanding? That's just how PCs work though. I mean it's already a bit of a moving target for developers, what with users being able to fiddle with the settings as they please.

My guess is that they'll roll it into how they grade performance now - SteamDB show a metric in the depot called tests/3/, which goes between 1-4 (with 4 meaning the default graphics configuration runs fine on the Deck). A logical solution would be to make it go up to 5, graduate all current scores of 4 to 5 (to indicate that it's good for previous generations), and then grade 4 becomes something that indicates it only runs on the second generation, and so on.

The only thing Valve really has to do is keep a set configuration on all models between generations, outside of aspects that don't effect performance (like storage space and display quality), which seems reasonable to assume that they will.

While talking about that, the video I was going to share from that Italian Steam Deck review place has finished rendering, so that's cool:

https://youtu.be/sj57wBQkl1A

For something that isn't currently on Steam, FF7R looks and runs really well via Proton! I wasn't expecting the game to hit 60fps so frequently when the cap was lifted, but I think I'd rather take the 3-4 hour battery life by keeping it at 30 if I wasn't by a mains outlet.

The should walk before they can run. The device is decent. Battery life is not amazing, screen is a bit whatever but that's beside the point now. They have got to fix the software, user experience and word of mouth.

There should also be zero talk from Valve about future models, performance tiers, sales of the top model etc. Nothing of the sort should be going out. Unless they sell enough of these devices AND make games run correctly this is just as dead as the Steam controller once the first adopters have had their fill.

23 minutes ago, yashiro said:

There should also be zero talk from Valve about future models, performance tiers, 

lol, yes, absolutely. This is very off-putting, especially given the current model's apparent battery life.

Let me ask you this, do you think that there were people at Sony looking towards PS6 while launching PS5? I absolutely do, it takes years and years to develop these things. It takes time to design new chips etc

By the time Nvidia or AMD launches a new graphics card range the engineers that developed it will already be working on the next version that they plan to release 2 years down the road if not what they plan to release in 4 years!

All he said was that the sales of the different skus may influence any future models they make, they would be stupid not to take that into consideration. The hardware for the Steam Deck is fixed now, it isn't going to change so the only thing you can do on the hardware side is look to what you would change in the next model. All he did was mention to the public the conversations that Sony etc will be having internally and Valve have consistently done things that Sony or Nintendo would never do.

The battery life is completely up to the user, you can have 1.5 hours or you can have 3 hours plus playing the same game. I'm not sure what people expect from Valve regarding the battery, current battery technology is what it is and playing modern games with good framerates and high graphical fidelity requires power, what they have managed to get out of a paltry 15 watts is amazing to me. Should they have made the device even bigger to accommodate a bigger battery? should they have went with an APU that was more efficient but wouldn't have the needed power to play things like Cyber Punk? The reason the Switch has a better battery life is because the components it uses are so weak relatively speaking, if you lowered the games to Switch quality you could probably get similar battery life

Again what could Valve do about the battery? I like the solution they have, it is 100% up to the user to determine how long their battery will last, choose what YOU want.

The software is an ongoing production, the PS5 and Xbox series teams are still working on and improving UIs, every review I have seen has noted they ere receiving sometimes 2 updates a day so Valve are obviously hard at work on it. Proton is improving at an incredible rate and I have no doubt the verified system will continue to expand rapidly, I think there were something like 800 verified or 'playable' at launch and that is only what Valve tested, there are literally thousands of games that will run perfectly on the Steam deck. Even with the missing games it currently has a better library than most consoles finish their life cycle with let alone start with.

The biggest game around at the moment is Elden Ring which runs really well on the Steam Deck, some of the most impressive PS4 games like Horizon Zero Dawn, god of War and Final Fantasy vii remake are playable on a handheld at equal or greater graphical fidelity than a base PS4. People are playing MMORPGs like Final Fantasy xiv and it runs smooth as butter. It can run the most demanding games on Steam including Cyber Punk 2077 at 30 fps. 

I find that really impressive

Again I'm not sure what people expect from a handheld PC that costs £349. maybe I'm easily pleased but I think the Steam Deck is incredible value for money.

Lol they are sold out until until 2023 selling through one store front. I don't think they need to win anyone with early impression issues given even if someone did decide to buy one they ain't getting it until winter this year most likely. 

Gamers are a fickle bunch. They say "GIVE ME CHOICE!" to run more powerful games and better framerates. When you can run a game that looks better than an actual console and is so many gen ahead of the switch that it is actually funny and it leads to less than 2 hours battery life they go "OMG GO BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD VALVE!". Well dummies, if you clock the games down to run like they look on a switch it can probably last in excess of switch battery life. But they gave you the choice of how you want to run games, Phawx already got a game running on the steam deck for over eight hours. I hope they don't hear from too many whiny idiots and lock stuff down for future iterations because people don't understand how wattage and power draw works. They could put a bigger battery in but then people will moan its too big/heavy. I'll trust their engineers have figured out a good balance more than people on the net.

They have left it up to the user and provided to the tools to determine the power/battery balance and basically has no current competition in the same price/market space at all. 

https://youtu.be/mvOmax8EmAU

Vulkan's now working on the Linux Version of Yuzu, thank heavens - Consider any current showing of emulated performance oh Switch games on the Deck null and void. Project Hades' implementation of async shader caching via Vulkan really is that good in terms of playability of games in the first instance, outside of outright downloading someone else's shader cache.

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

Gamers are a fickle bunch. They say "GIVE ME CHOICE!" to run more powerful games and better framerates. When you can run a game that looks better than an actual console and is so many gen ahead of the switch that it is actually funny and it leads to less than 2 hours battery life they go "OMG GO BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD VALVE!".

This is the disconnect between what a lot of people say they apparently want and what they really want.

The Deck is a portable PC which sort of looks like a console, with a console(ish) UI and control set-up. The average punter isn't actually interested in getting their hands dirty, they secretly love being locked down. They want McDonald's, not some bespoke DIY burger joint with way too much optionality.

Freedom does comes with downsides.

With over 120 Million MAUs, there is a big enough existing potential customer pool without having to cater towards console-only people who want what Nintendo won't give them.

This video shows a big reason I believe this will be very successful and also why the Steam machines failed. The developers/publishers have to do next to nothing to get their games working on it. Proton really is something magical.

44 minutes ago, Dukesy said:

Just had a shipping notification. Looks like it's coming from Holland so shouldn't take too long. 

Yep, same!  I read someone saying that they've had Steam hardware before that was handed off to ParcelForce from GLS, so expect it to be delivered by them.  

Edit: Actually just checked the tracking stuff and it indeed also has a ParcelForce tracking number.  

I was waiting for a video like this to appear. I don't think that most people, including the reviewers so far, realise just how powerful and useful steam input is when you have things like trackpads to play with. 

Same guy who did the video linked above about GC emulation uploaded another one today about Xbox emulation. Watching him play JSRF (which I've wanted to revisit for a while, one of those games that's not available on any modern platforms, and it seems like emulation wasn't in a good state until recently either) it made me think that the smaller, 16:10 screen is potentially ideal for playing older games. If I played this on a big modern telly, I'd probably be painfully aware of the fact that the graphics were never meant to be put under such intense scrutiny (even though JSRF's art style means it stands the test of time better than most). It's probably the perfect device for revisiting older games without too much risk of knocking off your rose tinted glasses.

9 minutes ago, yashiro said:

Incorrect/no calibration out of the factory. I don't think they've added calibration to the SteamOS UI yet either.

I saw a video online I think on resetera where you can adjust the stick deadzones

You could do it using Steam's desktop mode but I'm unsure if the settings would carry over to SteamOS. Even so the sticks aren't properly re-centering to zero. Check this vid. They probably need to change the factory shipped deadzone.

https://old.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/t49im8/experiencing_stick_drift_on_the_right_stick/

Also big yikes to Bungie. Players are not allowed to use SteamOS or Proton and can be banned if so.

https://help.bungie.net/hc/en-us/articles/360049024592-Destiny-2-Steam-Guide#steam-deck-and-destiny-2-0-3

31 minutes ago, yashiro said:

You could do it using Steam's desktop mode but I'm unsure if the settings would carry over to SteamOS. Even so the sticks aren't properly re-centering to zero. Check this vid.

https://old.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/t49im8/experiencing_stick_drift_on_the_right_stick/

Also big yikes to Bungie. Players are not allowed to use SteamOS or Proton and can be banned if so.

https://help.bungie.net/hc/en-us/articles/360049024592-Destiny-2-Steam-Guide#steam-deck-and-destiny-2-0-3

Yikes WTF Bungie?

I figured Bungie wouldn't put in the effort to support Destiny 2 without financial incentive, at least during a big expansion - still a weird stance, considering anything that's running on Stadia is based on Linux and uses Vulkan. They was similarly funny about not patching their game to support newer AMD processors (during Forsaken' launch, I believe).

Forget it, they'll probably make the effort when the seasonal stuff comes into play and the player base wanes as part of the usual Destiny cycle.

The bigger issue is if Valve can't work with Square to support the updated FFXIV launcher while the game is on a continued hot streak. There's still a way to play via the old launcher, but having to drop support for the biggest MMO in town is going to smart.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK