IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

1 minute ago, Dukesy said:

Had the email but not processing payment. Payment screen just sits on "Working"

Try buying it as steam credit for your wallet first and then pay for it using credit?

2 minutes ago, Dukesy said:

Had the email but not processing payment. Payment screen just sits on "Working"

Same happened here.  I just closed it.  Clicked the link again.  Tried again, got told there was already something processing...closed browser, tried a 3rd time and it worked.  

5 minutes ago, Uzi said:

No email and the steam page still shows a reservation rather than purchase invitation so I guess I'll get mine in March!

Same here but I'm optimistic the email is just taking the scenic route. My order was cleared at 10:01 pacific time so I think I've got a good chance of being in the first batch for my region.

Now says 

11 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

Same happened here.  I just closed it.  Clicked the link again.  Tried again, got told there was already something processing...closed browser, tried a 3rd time and it worked.  

Did exactly this and now says I’ve tried too many times, try in a few hours. Will have to wait and see what happens next. 

Here’s a neat Friday surprise: Valve announced a free new game called Aperture Desk Job, and it’s set in the same world as the Portal series. The game will be available to download on Steam starting March 1, and while it is listed as working with Windows PC, Valve’s description says that the game will be “best experienced” on the new Steam Deck handheld.

A brief trailer teases the concept: You play as a regular ol’ person who’s showing up for their first day at a desk job, only to end up getting into all sort of explosive shenanigans on the factory floor. The Steam page for Aperture Desk Job says it “reimagines” the walking simulator genre and puts the player into the “lightning-spanked, endorphin-gorged world of sitting still behind things.” Oh, and there’s a quippy robot who appears to accompany you throughout the game, just like in other Portal games. 

Valve does suggest that you “lower your expectations,” because Aperture Desk Job is “not a sequel to Portal.” Instead, it’s intended as a Steam Deck tech demo — the game “walks you through the handheld’s controls and features, while not being nearly as boring as that sounds,” according to Valve. In other words, it’s similar to the function of the PlayStation 5 pack-in Astro’s Playroom.

However, Portal fans who might not have a Steam Deck will still be able to play Aperture Desk Job on Windows PC or SteamOS using a controller.

https://www.polygon.com/22951006/steam-deck-aperture-desk-job-portal-valve?utm_campaign=polygon&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

I've watched a few reviews, no one else has mentioned the fan.

The rest is expected to anyone paying attention surely? Steam OS is a work in progress, it's linux so not all games work and if you run full out you get less than 2 hours but you can gain a lot of battery life by tweaking and lowering some settings.

The biggest complaints I have seen is from people expecting a PC to behave like a console. Valve have been very clear in stating what this device is, it's a PC not a console

Steve from gamer's nexus gets it, as you would expect.

'for the user expecting a take it out of the box Switch experience, that's not what you are getting but that is why it's cool. So long as we are all on the same page, it's a bad thing if that's what you think you are getting. It's a good thing if you understand you are buying a PC that looks like this'

It's a PC, that means you will have to tweak things, it means you will have issues you would not get on consoles.

In exchange you get control over both your hardware and your software. Personally I think the freedom and control is worth the trouble of having to sometimes tweak things but that is up to the individual.

I think the only thing that I'd have liked with it would have been an option to have a better quality screen. I absolutely understand why they've not gone this route, but I hope if there is a future model that an OLED screen comes along. The screen on the new Switch is a bit of an eye opener in terms of a pure games machine!

I can't say I'm fussed about things like freedom and control - Valve could have locked the whole thing down like a Switch and developers could have implemented Deck-only settings that can't be touched and I couldn't give two hoots. It's the ability to play a lot of games, classic and new, relatively undemanding, without being limited to the desktop or big screen that sells it for me.

Though it's also ideal for emulation, so in that respect freedom plays more than a small part.

I'm happy with the coverage so far - SteamOS sounds a bit haphazard in terms of UI, but the actual handy functions like Wattage/FPS/global FSR and universal sleep (which still sounds like a temperamental nightmare in theory) are there and price/performance is superb for the form factor.

I didn't realise that Vulkan wasn't implemented in the Linux versions of Yuzu and RyujinX, so Phawx running the OpenGL version makes it look very ropey so far when a lot of the really big improvements like async shader caching only applies to Vulkan. RPCS3 looks good for the games that it's currently good for, mind (and no, that doesn't include Uncharted or GOW3, which isn't even decent on a fully loaded computer).

Nice to know the desktop mode comes with Discover pre-installed for handling installer files downloaded from websites, although I'll probably shoehorn in a AUR handler like YAY so I can just grab whatever I want directly from community repositories. That's if it's not there already, of course.

The fan sounds a little raspy on this video, but on the other hand it's in a situation where the GPU is getting absolutely hammered and is sucking up 26W on Tales of Arise, so I'm guessing there's some finessing you can do, especially as it's on max settings: 

(This channel seems to be rattling through a bunch of games including some unknown labelled games - including New Vegas, which is extremely welcome)

8 hours ago, Mitchell said:

Shipping update for other Q1'ers.  Expect emails either on the 7th, 14th, 21st or 28th of March.  All will be sent by end of the month.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1675180/view/3113680716504852534

Thanks. I didn't get in on the first batch, which shows how much I underestimated how many people were 60 seconds ahead of me on the 512GB version. Fingers crossed for the next one.

38 minutes ago, alex3d said:

PC Gamer review on YT: high pitched fan noise most annoying thing of Steamdeck.

Their review was really good, I thought.  Fan a little annoying, but got 85% overall.  A console UI that's better than a consoles, great configuration/sleep options, good for big budget games, Indies, emulation..."A turbo-charged Switch Pro that Nintendo will never make."

6 hours ago, Mallet said:

I read a quote from Gabe Newell saying that Valve were really surprised that the 512gb was the most popular version, by far.

Yeah I think I read that in the article in this month's Edge. I reckon the next iteration may push the premium version angle even further, by the tone of it he was pleasantly surprised how many people went for it.

1 hour ago, yashiro said:

What happened to the huge revamp of Big Picture mode that was supposed to accompany the Deck's launch?

Valve supposedly had to delay the launch of the Deck because of hardware component supply problems. This was probably only a convenient excuse for the real reason they should have delayed it until later this year instead, their software engineering was nowhere near ready and would have been a complete shitshow if they hadn't delayed it until now as-is as it is still coming in red hot with Beta software that still needs work, but that seems to be a common trend, even for companies valued in the Trillions.

Deck 2 should be pretty sweet if Valve is committed to the idea and is willing to do some more corporate welfare for gamers.

2 hours ago, yashiro said:

What happened to the huge revamp of Big Picture mode that was supposed to accompany the Deck's launch?

That was never reported to happen at steamdeck launch. There was no date to my knowledge. 

13 minutes ago, squirtle said:

Does anyone have one of these yet? If so, would you be able to test Shudder on it? I'm sure I have some keys for it somewhere so won't cost you anything.

They've not even shipped yet so I doubt it!

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK