IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

59 minutes ago, Uzi said:

I'm the biggest cheerleader of the deck, but its a niche product. It's only sold in the low millions (obviously stock was an issue first few months). The mainstream console buyers dgaf its for fucking nerds like you dummies

Low millions is good, it means the next one will be green lit. You’re right it is niche, at the moment, but to get me to buy a PC when I haven’t done so for 20 years it’s doing something right. The Switch changed how we view home consoles, and I think the idea of having big boxes under our tellies is slowly becoming a thing of the past. 

I mean I love my PS5, it’s an amazing console, but it’s often an inconvenient way to play games when I can just pick up my Switch or Steam Deck and play whenever and wherever I want. Now I can stream PS5 games to the deck, or just buy them outright on Steam. 

I haven’t even tried it docked yet, and part of the reason for that is because I know I’ll need to tinker and change a few settings and what have you. That’s where it differs from the Switch which is still utterly magic to me, just dock it and play, undock it etc. if they can do that with Steam Deck I think it’s the next logical step. 

Tldr. There is a buzz around Steam Deck at the moment which is pretty contagious, best thing to happen in gaming in ages imo. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

What kind of hurdles? I think it removes many of the barriers to PC on price alone. You have to consider this is only the first version of Steam Deck, it’s only going to get more refined and user friendly from here on in. 

1. Price - mine cost more than a series x 

2. Battery life  - it’s awful

3. screen - it’s poor. 

these can be fixed in subsequent revisions 

But 

4. it’s still a pc. It’s still tinkering and having to run things using proton, or diving into the desktop. Yes deck verified stuff doesn’t necessarily need that but that rules out a lot of games that will work if you dick around a bit. 

It’s a great little machine. But an iPod ? Nah. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I haven’t even tried it docked yet, and part of the reason for that is because I know I’ll need to tinker and change a few settings and what have you. That’s where it differs from the Switch which is still utterly magic to me, just dock it and play, undock it etc. if they can do that with Steam Deck I think it’s the next logical step. 

Just plug and play. Only need to mess with it if you are going down the desktop route, I tend to leave mine in Steam app mode. Just plays like a console.

1 minute ago, deerokus said:

Battery life is not awful at all. At least compared to my laptop anyway.

I mean, it's pretty poor as far as portable games machines go — 4 hours in a best-case scenario puts it on a par with a Switch (which is itself correctly recognised as having too short a lifespan), except that the Switch's worst-case scenario is over 3 hours, whereas the Deck drops to around 1.5 hours for more challenging/unthrottled games.

Weird how much it varies. I've hit 7 hours with very resource- light games and most games are about 2.5-3.

My laptop isn't quite as powerful but does run most of the same games - battery dead in 40 mins if you do any kind of gaming on it.

I want your Steam Deck! Playing games that don't ramp up the fans at all (like Civ IV, The Case of the Golden Idol, I Was a Teenage Exocolonist) still see me needing to plug the deck in to charge before four hours are up; I've not found anything that lasts longer than those games.

21 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I want your Steam Deck! Playing games that don't ramp up the fans at all (like Civ IV, The Case of the Golden Idol, I Was a Teenage Exocolonist) still see me needing to plug the deck in to charge before four hours are up; I've not found anything that lasts longer than those games.

I've got 6 hours on games where I can put the TDP as low as it can go. 

Oh, you can apply Steam-side throttling to games? That would explain the discrepancy, if I could have been instructing the Deck to not run at max performance on the aforementioned unchallenging titles, on the assumption that they aren't particularly good at drawing only the required amount of power from the system unaided. I'll need to look up how one goes about doing that!

(I really want a nice book of guidance on the Deck, to be honest; something like the old guides I had for "mastering" DOS and Windows 95. Sod this "looking things up on the internet" lark, I want a book that spends a chapter going over the Steam Deck/Linux equivalents of optimising your autoexec.bat)

13 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Oh, you can apply Steam-side throttling to games? That would explain the discrepancy, if I could have been instructing the Deck to not run at max performance on the aforementioned unchallenging titles, on the assumption that they aren't particularly good at drawing only the required amount of power from the system unaided. I'll need to look up how one goes about doing that!

(I really want a nice book of guidance on the Deck, to be honest; something like the old guides I had for "mastering" DOS and Windows 95. Sod this "looking things up on the internet" lark, I want a book that spends a chapter going over the Steam Deck/Linux equivalents of optimising your autoexec.bat)

It's in the QAM you can set the FPS refresh rate. Tdp, etc and actually set it as system wide or per game 

4 hours ago, Uzi said:

I'm the biggest cheerleader of the deck, but its a niche product. It's only sold in the low millions (obviously stock was an issue first few months). The mainstream console buyers dgaf its for fucking nerds like you dummies

I think you're right, but I'd be curious to see what the overlap is between existing PC gamers and console gamers, i.e.; has Deck opened up a new market for Steam revenue?

Going by the extremely enthusiastic, albeit anecdotal, evidence in this thread, the answer is yes. 

21 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Dead Space doesn't run on SD, has this been confirmed yet? TheVerge reporting.

It does but there’s a lot of shader compilation stutter (which may only be a short term issue once the shaders build up). I think the people who haven’t got it running on deck were using the EAplay version (rather than steam)

3 hours ago, PaB said:

1. Price - mine cost more than a series x 

2. Battery life  - it’s awful

3. screen - it’s poor. 

these can be fixed in subsequent revisions 

But 

4. it’s still a pc. It’s still tinkering and having to run things using proton, or diving into the desktop. Yes deck verified stuff doesn’t necessarily need that but that rules out a lot of games that will work if you dick around a bit. 

It’s a great little machine. But an iPod ? Nah. 

the iPod [of gaming] is me being a bit cute, but that’s exactly the feeling I get from my Steam Deck. I remember back then when iPod launched they (Apple) didn’t support iTunes on PC either, and you had to mess around with tags and bitrates way more than anyone beyond enthusiasts would bother with, but it allowed you organise your MP3’s better and conserve battery. And it cost a small fortune, but I’d honestly be very happy with a £349 Deck and run my games from an SD card, I do that anyway even though I have the 256gb model. It’s a great price and it’s only the top premium model that costs more than a PS5 or Series X, it’s very competitive. 

Edit. In fact thinking back the iPod didn’t even support MP3 at first, you had to convert everything into whatever file format they were using. In comparison the Steam Deck is way more user friendly. 

I barely go into desktop mode, I’ve only done that to get Game Pass Xcloud on there, it’s a perfectly serviceable games console right out of the box. 

2 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Just plug and play. Only need to mess with it if you are going down the desktop route, I tend to leave mine in Steam app mode. Just plays like a console.

That’s great to hear, i’ll try it tomorrow, I have the dock I’ve just not used it for the TV yet, but that is good news 

4 hours ago, PaB said:

3. screen - it’s poor. 

The screen is good, for the Deck. 

I would take an oled upgrade but I wouldn't want anything higher resolution, it wouldn't be worth the battery and performance hit.

24 minutes ago, Isaac said:

The screen is good, for the Deck. 

I would take an oled upgrade but I wouldn't want anything higher resolution, it wouldn't be worth the battery and performance hit.

Yeah I was talking more about technology than resolution . OLED would make a big difference. Going from OLED switch to deck is a bit jarring. 

Have some game codes for my favourite community in the forum. 

ZERO Sievert 

Source of Madness 

Forager 

Serpent Rogue 

DOOM Eternal

DM me for the one you would like

3 minutes ago, bradigor said:

ZERO Sievert 

Source of Madness 

Forager 

Pm’d you about zero sievert pls

so many times i nearly went for that

23 minutes ago, bradigor said:

ZERO Sievert 

Source of Madness 

Forager 

Serpent Rogue 

DOOM Eternal

pm’d for doom!

Again, I love the deck but there’s no way this thing will revolutionise the industry. It’s potentially going to get developers thinking about making their games deck friendly but not if it requires significant effort. If they aren't doing it for switch they aren’t doing it for this. 

My mum, a total Luddite, got a DS to play brain training like all the countdown crowd did. She switched it on, licked the cart then put it in. It just worked. The switch is similar. Give a Deck to her and she would have no clue what to do with it. Nor would my brothers and sisters or really my kids. This thing is niche in the PC world and virtually invisible in the broader mass consumer gaming world.