Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

Also, most things beyond A1 spec are weighed more heavily towards write speeds - something that would only really affect installing, decrypting and patching games, which are more throttled by internet speed and CPU power respectively for the first two, and I would presume both for the third aspect as well.

Read speeds are definitely necessary, but as mentioned, a good SanDisk or Samsung card will be at least A1 spec and top that aspect out immediately, even if you go with their budget brands - SanDisk Ultra or Samsung Evo Plus/Select are perfect. I have both from discount sales at Amazon, and they've been fine.

Only using Rocket League as an experiment with Heroic Launcher - had it playing fine for a few days in Steam but there has now been a new season release of RL and an update to Heroic, one of which seems to have stopped the game even getting to the loading title screen in Steam, but will still launch fine from the desktop.

I think you can install Heroic as an app within Steam so wonder if it will launch direct from there.

Want to iron out my understanding of these things before I trust Heroic to buy anything on GOG or Epic, feels still to me that spending money that way is a risk in terms of your game always working seamlessly. 

Has anyone who got the official Dock actually using it for playing games on the telly? Mine is just an expensive display stand and charging station at the moment.

Anyway, I've picked up my Deck again to replay the remastered version Monkey Island 2. It works pretty well with the controller buttons, but I can't figure out what the command is to switch to and from the original and modern graphics.

34 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Only using Rocket League as an experiment with Heroic Launcher - had it playing fine for a few days in Steam but there has now been a new season release of RL and an update to Heroic, one of which seems to have stopped the game even getting to the loading title screen in Steam, but will still launch fine from the desktop.

I think you can install Heroic as an app within Steam so wonder if it will launch direct from there.

Want to iron out my understanding of these things before I trust Heroic to buy anything on GOG or Epic, feels still to me that spending money that way is a risk in terms of your game always working seamlessly. 

Buy from the epic store? Do people do this? I've got a big library of titles on there I've paid nothing for

7 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Buy from the epic store? Do people do this? I've got a big library of titles on there I've paid nothing for

I think I bought one game on epic. All others are freebies or from review code 

34 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Of course if the game I want is only available on Epic.

Although that's only happened once so far... Anno 1800.

45 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Has anyone who got the official Dock actually using it for playing games on the telly? Mine is just an expensive display stand and charging station at the moment.

Anyway, I've picked up my Deck again to replay the remastered version Monkey Island 2. It works pretty well with the controller buttons, but I can't figure out what the command is to switch to and from the original and modern graphics.

Mine is hooked up to my monitor but it’s mostly a pretty display station. I don’t have any more plug space behind the TV right now.

25 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Another day and no update. It's never going to turn up at this rate 🤣 Any good places for buying Steam vouchers?

I'm beginning to think the sneaky bastards promised 4-8 days and slipped us into the 1-2 weeks that are currently showing on the store.

3 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

I'm beginning to think the sneaky bastards promised 4-8 days and slipped us into the 1-2 weeks that are currently showing on the store.

Seen loads of reddit threads with people ordering on a Saturday then it just turning up on the doorstep the following Friday with no tracking updates until after it arrived. So still hopeful 🤣

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I mean, I use my unofficial dock to play my Dreamcast/PS2 games on the TV when I fancy couch gaming rather than gaming in bed/on the go; I imagine if I had an official one the same would be true.

(I've also now used it for two D&D sessions over Skype, which is definitely the Deck's primary purpose)

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Yep, pretty much exclusively. Much prefer couch gaming to handheld.

It works well, for the most part, though it's not quite as slick as plugging a normal console into a TV. No wake from the controller, oddities with Bluetooth, usual resolution and performance tinkering. But nothing that's enough to put me off.

15 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Mine is connected to my monitor in my office. I have been working a lot of extra hours recently. 😉

2 hours ago, alex3d said:

Will Returnal run on SD?

2 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Sony's other recent Steam releases (SackBoy, GoW, Spiderman Remastered, etc.) have all been Verified on Deck.

So I guess it will come down to performance.

Also, if you've been following the news that has been skimmed from the Steam Database, Returnal already has controller information for the Steam Deck.

Deck should meet minimum spec when scaled down to the 800p screen, but who knows what FPS will look like until it's in reviewer's hands.

Has anyone had luck getting xcom Chimera Squad to run? Not sure how it’d be to play on deck, but protondb seems to reckon it works. 

I try to run it, get the controls splash screen with a message ‘downloading content’ and it just stays there forever. Tried an older Proton (suggested on protondb) to no avail. 

4 hours ago, StephenM said:

Has anyone had luck getting xcom Chimera Squad to run? Not sure how it’d be to play on deck, but protondb seems to reckon it works. 

I try to run it, get the controls splash screen with a message ‘downloading content’ and it just stays there forever. Tried an older Proton (suggested on protondb) to no avail. 

On 04/12/2022 at 14:14, Siri said:

I'd be inclined to check the files you downloaded from Steam, if there's an agreed consensus that the game works in some capacity. There should be an option to check the file integrity via the cog on the game page - I've had multiple occasions where I couldn't get a game running, only to find out the download got fucked up for x reason.

Also, 2K games are wank after they shoehorned their own launcher into it. If the above doesn't work, look into going into desktop mode and changing the properties of the game so it points towards the game executable, not the launcher.