Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

I'd say you should get around the £459 base price of that model if selling with all the additional stuff, but not really much more. All in, that'd set someone back over £500 new but I think the memory card is the only essential item in it.

- Edited to reflect actual price of the thing.

3 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I'd say you should get around the £349 base price of that model if selling with all the additional stuff, but not really much more. All in, that'd set someone back over £400 new but I think the memory card is the only essential item in it.

It’s a 256GB, which is £459 iirc?

On 23/11/2022 at 14:36, Siri said:

I think I've already written elsewhere on rllmuk, but I've picked up the games I want already. Quite looking forward to finally playing RDR2 - although I read somewhere that it's not quite as smooth when running off the SD card. Is there any truth to that? I might have to make some more space on the SSD.

You've possibly already bought it by now, but I have RDR2 installed on my SD card and it runs absolutely fine! There were problems in general running RDR2 until recently (after 30 mins or so of play, the frame rate would suddenly tank and then the game would crash), but it's running a treat at the moment.

Edit: just remembered - the crashing problem stopped for me after I ran a short script to expand the swap file on the Steam Deck's SSD. It's super easy to do - literally involves going into desktop mode and copying and pasting one line of text into the terminal, but as it increases the swap file from 1GB to 16GB, you'll lose around 15GB of SSD space. But it can benefit all games on the system.

5 minutes ago, Flub said:

Does anyone else find the on screen keyboard randomly and mostly horribly unresponsive with touch controls? It's been like this since I got the deck months ago.

It was when I got mine but an update fixed it.

Just hit 50 hours on Persona 5 Royal and it still has its hooks in. The pacing, characters, design, sorry, music is all sublime. 

Glad I waited for a handheld release because it is a perfect fit just like P3P and P4G 

1 hour ago, simms said:

@Flub Is Soulstones survivors more skill based than Vampire Survivors?  I.e. more to the gameplay than just running and avoiding.

I've only had two games but the bosses were like proper game bosses. Attacks to dodge and the like. Same with some of the smaller mobs. Red circles and lines on the ground to stay out of where attacks are going to land. Not super sophisticated but certainly more involved.

*Edit* I should add that it's still based on the VS template. Attacks all autofire. Some of them require you to aim with the second stick

Alright - I've finished Act 1 of Cyberpunk on the deck.

There's things I'm not entirely keen on - it'd be nice if the framerate was a bit more stable at native res, the image is a little soft, and because of a bug with FSR2.1's implementation in this game, the HUD text is kinda fucked.

But all this flies in the face of the fact that there's this thing that sits in my hands and it's playing cyberpunk what the fuck

I'm having a real frustrating time trying to transfer content of a 512GB sd card to a drive to then copy back over to my 1TB sd card.  I'm trying to transfer 380GB of data.   I've tried connecting an spare external drive to my dock and copying over but I seem to get an application has unexpectedly closed during transfer twice.  I then tried warpinator to another internal drive on my PC and it got 300GB across before saying an error occurred.  🤬

EDIT:  I wonder if when the deck goes to sleep is causing issue.  I'm going to turn off the automatic sleep function 

Does anyone know how to get 16bit screen mode for older games? I’ve installed the original Moto Racer with Lutris, but the game won’t boot as it requires 16 Bit screen mode.

Apparently you can use something called Xephyr in Lutris, but when I enable it I get an error that it can’t be found.

18 hours ago, simms said:

I'm having a real frustrating time trying to transfer content of a 512GB sd card to a drive to then copy back over to my 1TB sd card.  I'm trying to transfer 380GB of data.   I've tried connecting an spare external drive to my dock and copying over but I seem to get an application has unexpectedly closed during transfer twice.  I then tried warpinator to another internal drive on my PC and it got 300GB across before saying an error occurred.  🤬

EDIT:  I wonder if when the deck goes to sleep is causing issue.  I'm going to turn off the automatic sleep function 

Are you just selecting the lot and transfering in one go? On my PC with some kit I've had trouble with it cutting off after so long transfering masses of files. I tend to break it down into chunks.

Thanks All, Warpinator transferred upon second attempt.  Trying to dump all 380Gb at once was always going to sketchy I guess.

I look forward to running out of room on my 1TB in the coming weeks.  I planning on getting a NAS setup.  Between my desktop and Deck emulation setup with box art etc, is not something I want to have to setup again if I encounter hardware failure. 

2 minutes ago, Stejay said:

I'm after a 512gb card for my Steam Deck.  RPS recommend the Samsung Pro Plus currently £70 from eBuyer, but Amazon have this Sandisk for just £34.99.  Is that decent enough for Deck usage?

Yep.

Don't know why rps recommended that, 'Pro' type SD cards like that Samsung are for professional photographers, specs not at all needed for gaming use.

57 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Yep.

Don't know why rps recommended that, 'Pro' type SD cards like that Samsung are for professional photographers, specs not at all needed for gaming use.

Yeah, they tend to cost more for fast write speeds, which you don’t need on a console.

PSA from over in the emulation thread, the Steam version of Just Cause 2 (one of the greatest open world sandbox games which is far superior to it's sequels) is on sale for 99p, but shows as Deck unsupported.

A quick hop to desktop mode to install the experimental Proton GE (piece of piss, 2 min job), which you then assign to JC2 and do an initial boot in desktop mode. After that you'll have a game that works perfectly in the normal Steam OS game environment and which you can max all the graphical settings on and it still runs at 60fps. 

It remains a brilliant game and is a bit of a marvel on a handheld, time to relieve the glory of Panau and the legendary Bolo Santosi.