Jump to content

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK


QuackQuack
 Share

Recommended Posts

Bloody hell this machine is brilliant. Been messing with the emu stuff mainly and it’s so user friendly compared to the last time I really tried retro gaming. The only downside is having to use CHD files for Dreamcast. Can’t get fire pro wrestling anywhere :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You could always play FPW Returns on PS2 if you can't find it, or FPW World on Steam itself (although with World, I think you know need all the DLC to access the Workshop, so you'll probably want to wait until the winter sale to buy it all at a discount)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Siri said:

You could always play FPW Returns on PS2 if you can't find it, or FPW World on Steam itself (although with World, I think you know need all the DLC to access the Workshop, so you'll probably want to wait until the winter sale to buy it all at a discount)

 

ooh just noticed FPW World is included in PS Plus Extra (no use for this thread I know)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, g wings said:

@Siri yes, I did check out World but resisted due to price. Will probably buckle at some point this evening ;) 

 

 

If you can hold out, do so - the current timeframe is that it drops to under a tenner every two months or so:

 

Screenshot_2022-10-17-10-43-37-361-edit_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.089e31f6dd95dac7509dea004bfe8494.jpg

 

I'm guessing it will drop again in the Autumn Sale (22-29 November).

 

I bought it when it was full whack, but I did pick up all the DLC at a reduced price, so I was alright with that personally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regardless of naming, putting two of your big sales for the year just a month apart is dumb. Their post where they moved to a "spring" sale rather than "lunar new year" specifically mentions spreading sales around the year. And then they pick those dates. Why they're just not every 3 months is beyond me.

 

Although I will guess "Thanks Giving"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How do I find where third party apps are stored on the internal storage? I was updating emudeck and having a right nightmare with it. I accidentally chose internal storage when first updating it and I now have no idea where the bloody hell it was installed or how to remove it? Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Their post where they moved to a "spring" sale rather than "lunar new year" specifically mentions spreading sales around the year. And then they pick those dates.

 

I suspect that the November dates were locked in before they decided they needed to spread things about more. Publishers get plenty of heads up so that they can verify games, discounts, etc.

 

Though I could well be wrong. They did announce the dates at the same time, after all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just wondering if anyone has got any advice here.

 

I'd like to have SteamOS, Windows and emulation on my Steam Deck. Just wondering what the best way to do that is? My model is 512gb version and I'll purchase 512gb SD card. SteamOS on the internal SSD is a given but should I put Windows on the microsd card or also internal? And for emulation, how to deal with that? Finally, can Windows and SteamOS share data on the microsd card?

 

Thanks a lot :)

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, SteveH said:

How do I find where third party apps are stored on the internal storage? I was updating emudeck and having a right nightmare with it. I accidentally chose internal storage when first updating it and I now have no idea where the bloody hell it was installed or how to remove it? Cheers

Probably doesn't help your situation - however, emudeck, as I understand it, spreads itself over lots of places in your SteamOS.  That's why I preferred Batocera as it can live, by itself on a micro-sd seperate to SteamOS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Siri said:

If you can hold out, do so - the current timeframe is that it drops to under a tenner every two months or so


Great! Thank you 

 

38 minutes ago, Simmy said:

I'd like to have SteamOS, Windows and emulation on my Steam Deck.


Dumb question I’m sure but what are the main reasons for wanting to install Windows?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, g wings said:


Great! Thank you 

 


Dumb question I’m sure but what are the main reasons for wanting to install Windows?

 

Game Pass. I own a series X and I subscribe to Game Pass Ultimate. It's literally the only reason I want Windows on the Steam Deck. I've tried cloud gaming on it and it's a cool novelty but I want to play those games natively and for that I need Windows, annoyingly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Simmy said:

 

Game Pass. I own a series X and I subscribe to Game Pass Ultimate. It's literally the only reason I want Windows on the Steam Deck. I've tried cloud gaming on it and it's a cool novelty but I want to play those games natively and for that I need Windows, annoyingly.

Ah cool. That (game pass) was going to be the next thing I looked in to. Will try and get my head around that tomorrow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Royal Mail have delivered my steam deck dock! Unfortunately not to me and I have no idea who got it.

 

Are Valve any good with this sort of thing or will they wipe their hands of it and palm me off to parcelforce?

 

Hassle both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Simmy said:

Just wondering if anyone has got any advice here.

 

I'd like to have SteamOS, Windows and emulation on my Steam Deck. Just wondering what the best way to do that is? My model is 512gb version and I'll purchase 512gb SD card. SteamOS on the internal SSD is a given but should I put Windows on the microsd card or also internal? And for emulation, how to deal with that? Finally, can Windows and SteamOS share data on the microsd card?

 

Thanks a lot :)

 

To answer in order:

 

- It depends if you can stomach a minute or longer of boot time off an SD card each time you want to use Windows, going into the BIOS menu each time and if you don't mind thrashing the SD card and potentially shortening the life of it. If you're cool with that, go with the SD card.

 

- Emulation, I feel that SteamOS is fine, with the exception of Xenia because of its reliance on DX12. That will change when the Vulkan renderer is done.

 

- SteamOS and Windows don't share the same standard file system (EXT4 vs. NTFS) and they can't really use one another for games, so unless you're partitioning SD cards like a lunatic, that's not advised.

 

If I had a 512 drive and 512 SD card, I'd probably reduce the Steam OS position to around 100gb for core files, shader cache and any other Linux programs/emulators. Have 400gb spare for Windows/Game Pass, and reserve the SD card entirely for SteamOS games, ROMS, and maybe move the shader cache over. Swap to another SD card for more Windows stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of Xenia - played a couple more levels of Goldeneye on the Deck.

 

There's definitely some graphical glitches (for example, corpses take visual priority over door opening animations, so you'll see a dead body on the floor through it while it opens), but otherwise it's been superb so far.

 

Although I've also been reading up on N64 decompilation projects, and Perfect Dark is tantalisingly close to being fully decrypted and ultimately getting a native PC port :wub:

 

Edit: in actual fact, it is pretty much already there.

 

Edit 2: to prevent triple posting, who's ready for 60fps Persona 5 Royal on Deck?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So... Got TJ&E Beck in the Groove from Epic as a freebie. But can't get it to run via Heroic or Lutris. 

 

According to protondb there should be no issues. Has anyone else tried it at all? 

 

Also still can't get the Humble Collection to work which is a pain. 

 

On the plus side, loving the new EmuDeck update. Going to try a couple of Vita bits later this week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, bradigor said:

 

On the plus side, loving the new EmuDeck update. Going to try a couple of Vita bits later this week.


did you do a clean full reinstall of emudeck from scratch or just run the update over the top of your existing roms/bios etc ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

3 minutes ago, keineboom said:

Just discovered both of the Samsung TVs in my house have a native Steamlink app that works flawlessly with the Steam Deck, great stuff!

 

So how does this work - do you need to physically turn your Deck on, or can it wake up remotely? Would be amazing if you could do the latter, even if they just added it in future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.