Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

41 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Once that is done you can just run it as a non steam game from the deck’s game mode, right?

Yeah. TBH, it's kind of required as trying to log in on desktop mode freaks out the keyboard for some reason.

In other news: you know that I pre-ordered today to see how long it would take?

IMG_20221003_184825.thumb.jpg.98f7735f216da6cafad4bfbedf902fc9.jpg

Imagine buying your Steam Deck from other people than Valve :lol:

All this talk about Decks in docks has got me wondering - to those who have docked your Decks, what wireless controllers have you had success using? 

I imagine Xbox will work out the gate - I haven’t tried myself yet - but I have tried my 8bitdos and the Deck can’t work out the button mappings. 

6 minutes ago, Popo said:

All this talk about Decks in docks has got me wondering - to those who have docked your Decks, what wireless controllers have you had success using? 

I imagine Xbox will work out the gate - I haven’t tried myself yet - but I have tried my 8bitdos and the Deck can’t work out the button mappings. 

Ps4 Dual Shock controller here. Auto-maps no problem.

I still get the Microsoft Pad prompts playing PC games. But I know 'A' translates to 'X' on the dual shock etc. so its a non issue.

43 minutes ago, MrMorgasaurus said:

Ps4 Dual Shock controller here. Auto-maps no problem.

I still get the Microsoft Pad prompts playing PC games. But I know 'A' translates to 'X' on the dual shock etc. so its a non issue.

Yep, same here - PS4 DualShock.

Some games show PS4 buttons, others Xbox.

2 hours ago, Siri said:

Yeah. TBH, it's kind of required as trying to log in on desktop mode freaks out the keyboard for some reason.

In other news: you know that I pre-ordered today to see how long it would take?

IMG_20221003_184825.thumb.jpg.98f7735f216da6cafad4bfbedf902fc9.jpg

Imagine buying your Steam Deck from other people than Valve :lol:

This is amazing - meanwhile Valve are insisting on a ‘few days to investigate’ the parcel that Evri told me, in writing, which Valve has seen, that it’s lost. 

It would be quicker just to start again at this point. 

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

Don’t suppose anyone with Final Fantasy XIII-2 in their Steam library is able to attempt running it on their Steam Deck? The store says it’s “unplayable” 🙄

There's plenty of videos on it. The long and short of it is that the PC version of the game is god awful on any PC without modifications.

The first video demonstrates using a fix and Proton Experimental, which helps, but isn't perfect.

Another question, can you have more than one account on the Steam Deck?. If so, say I have L4D2 on my account, bro wants to play while I'm out and log into his account to play L4D2 does he need to download the game again or will it recognise its been downloaded and ready to play?

6 hours ago, yakumo said:

Another question, can you have more than one account on the Steam Deck?. If so, say I have L4D2 on my account, bro wants to play while I'm out and log into his account to play L4D2 does he need to download the game again or will it recognise its been downloaded and ready to play?

Yes, you can switch accounts.

I don't quite remember how libraries work under Steam, but as long as you've given him access via library sharing and the game allows it (in that example, Valve games do, but you'll find games with additional licenses/agreements don't play nice), it should work with no problem.

I may be being optimistic here but has anyone seen a 512gb micro sd that's any good under £50 for the deck?

I picked up a cheap 256gb and realise that I could probably do with the next size up, like the 256gb is ok and I could live with it until a deal comes up but thought I would ask on here to see if anyone has spotted any deals on them?

12 hours ago, yakumo said:

You can (I have) but it is a bit limited - you can't play a game from their library at the same time as they are playing any other game from their library. So if they are playing a different game on a desktop machine, say, you are locked out. Better than nothing, but a bit of a disappointment when compared to console sharing. (Also some games totally fail to differentiate save games between users and just load the local save for everyone)

22 minutes ago, Luseth said:

Thanks @CBT that looks about the best price I have seen without it being an obvious fake.

I forgot to mention - deal wise it's decent; think from looking around HUKD there was one at £53-54  that went 'hot', but if you can hang on it's probably worth waiting for Black Friday!

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Has anyone tried the Undecember demo on the deck and got it working? I've given it a couple of goes but it sticks on a loading page.

Yeah, it worked right away with the default Proton, which is 7.0-4 if you've switched away from it somehow.

I'm actually surprised myself, as I would have thought Gameguard would have fucked it over without Experimental Proton.

Just wondering what the use of using a dock will be?

I know a lot of the games look fine on the smaller screen at 800p but surely blowing them up on even a 1080p monitor is going to look a bit... Shit?

I'm happy to be proven wrong mind you as I love the idea!

10 minutes ago, Simmy said:

I know a lot of the games look fine on the smaller screen at 800p but surely blowing them up on even a 1080p monitor is going to look a bit... Shit?

It might struggle with the bigger 3D titles but for lots of stuff it should easily handle 1080p. Reality is that most people aren't playing games on powerhouse PCs. The vast majority of PC games hardly require any graphical grunt at all.

Evri are fucking me. 

They’ve had it since last Monday. I made the possibly huge mistake of diverting delivery to a locker. It’s been sat in the WEVE GOT IT status since Wednesday. No change. 

Anybody find a way to help it move? I will get in touch with valve but guessing you have to wait at least 10 days. 

1 hour ago, Simmy said:

Don't forget that 800p isn't the limit of what the Deck can display, it's just the resolution of its built in screen. If you connect it to a 1080p monitor you can output at 1080p, and no doubt 4K on a 4K screen too. It's a PC!

Obviously you're going to be limited at what it can handle at those resolutions though. Plenty of less demanding games should run just fine at 1080p on the Deck though. It's obviously not going to be a 4K powerhouse, but I suppose the built in FSR feature might be an option there, assuming that works on external monitors.

The own brand card from MyMemory is under £50 and comes with a lifetime warranty. Having had a lexar card fail on me after barely using it, I like having the extra piece of mind. MyMemory have been around for years so I feel that they can be trusted.

12 hours ago, Luseth said:

I may be being optimistic here but has anyone seen a 512gb micro sd that's any good under £50 for the deck?

I picked up a cheap 256gb and realise that I could probably do with the next size up, like the 256gb is ok and I could live with it until a deal comes up but thought I would ask on here to see if anyone has spotted any deals on them?