Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

17 hours ago, Paulando said:

Can’t even imagine how awful it would be running Windows on it, unless you have it connected to a monitor/keyboard/mouse all the time.

5 hours ago, Paulando said:

Chiaki is for remote play though, right? Not PS Plus steaming.

I’ve not set it up yet, but I did save this Reddit post: 

i guess there are some pretty big compatibility advantages to running windows.

5 hours ago, spatular said:

i guess there are some pretty big compatibility advantages to running windows.

Yeah but, once you have these non-Steam things setup you’re done, and you’re launching them like another Steam game. Not having the handheld UI and the overlays, controller configs, performance configs, would just be a massive pain.

Just now, Tomdominer said:

Hey chaps. Just received mine from @tenrou(thanks again). 

Seems super slick so far. One thing. It seems to get stuck trying to run "Fall Guys" at the "easy anti cheat" phase... 

Do a search on the system for easy anti cheat and there will be a distributable to install which should fix that.

If we're talking about the Steam version of Fall Guys, then it's on the SteamOS side of things. 

At the top of the library and home screens, by pressing up on the d-pad, there's a field to search your library and on Steam for stuff. Use that to look for "Proton EasyAntiCheat Runtime" - there will be a result for a file that that you need installed for the game to access the anti-cheat properly.

If it's the epic games version, you need to futz around with the files after installing it from Heroic. There's a guide here along with installing it.

In other news, I've been playing a bit of Betrayal at Club Low - it's being updated impressively quickly for Linux and Deck support, already patching out issues with texture flickering on dice rolls within about an hour of owning it. It also has controller and 16:10 support.

It's exceptionally weird, but also a neatly contained table-top adventure game with a decent amount of replay value for a paltry few quid.

5 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Not entirely sure whether this is a slight, or sarcasm, or serious. Anyway, thanks for trying to help.

No literally. @Siricovered it all. I am struggling with my vision badly today (partially sighted) so he'll explain it better than I can 

2 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Well, sorry to hear that my man. I know you are a long time member, so it's probably common knowledge, but I genuinely didn't know. Soz sorry if I was being an arse. Thanks for the help.

Not at all. No offense taken :) I didn't think that at all.

14 hours ago, Siri said:

Out of interest, @Tomdominer, did that actually work out?

I haven't actually got Fall Guys unless I do the Epic Store F2P route or buy a key for more than launch price, so I don't know if that'll sort it outright. It should be if you're using the latest Proton. If you have any problems, there's always ProtonDB.

No. I was a bit busy yesterday, but I got round to it in the evening. I found and installed the proton anti cheat, but easy anti cheat still tries to install on Fall Guys launch and fails. I also did Google and read that is requires a more "compatible" Proton. OS, but have no idea how to install that. Will have another go today.

27 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Ah right, so proton is a compatibility thingy, not the actual OS. Anyway, followed that link @Siri linked me to, and got it working. Had to open the os file browser, reveal hidden files, locate the steam app folder and had to edit ini files. Console it is not.

Well very much not so when you step away from Steam and verified games. And no one should expect anything else outside of that. The key for Valve is achieving close to console like in their verified garden.

The thing that gets tricky once you try to get more than Steam is that people need very specific guides. "Replace this specific text in this specific file with this text". But that's going to get less accurate and worse over time. Not because they are worse guides but as people put more and more stuff on their decks they will get further from a "standard" setup and precise instructions fall down because each system is slightly different. Not use changing some text in one config file to get Epic working if changes for Ubisoft moved the references to that config file entirely.

Using this stuff can feel a bit like jumping off the deep end if you're not familiar with it. Experts forget that concepts like what Proton is, or how a terminal is used, or so on are just alien to others.

None of this is to say it's bad. It's just a steep learning curve to flex the deck to its limits. But I'm sure it will only get better. It has done already and will continue to do so rapidly I think.

43 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Well very much not so when you step away from Steam and verified games. And no one should expect anything else outside of that. The key for Valve is achieving close to console like in their verified garden.

The thing that gets tricky once you try to get more than Steam is that people need very specific guides. "Replace this specific text in this specific file with this text". But that's going to get less accurate and worse over time. Not because they are worse guides but as people put more and more stuff on their decks they will get further from a "standard" setup and precise instructions fall down because each system is slightly different. Not use changing some text in one config file to get Epic working if changes for Ubisoft moved the references to that config file entirely.

Using this stuff can feel a bit like jumping off the deep end if you're not familiar with it. Experts forget that concepts like what Proton is, or how a terminal is used, or so on are just alien to others.

None of this is to say it's bad. It's just a steep learning curve to flex the deck to its limits. But I'm sure it will only get better. It has done already and will continue to do so rapidly I think.

Yep. 100% this.

Thankfully I found GOG games to be easy to install as non-Steam games. Love GOG and will continue to support them.