Jump to content

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK


QuackQuack
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Simmy said:

One thing that frustrated me about the switch was the framerate - 30fps just doesn't cut it nowadays.

 

My Steam Deck should be available to purchase this month and I'm wondering - is it powerful to play things at over 30fps?

 

I've read about 40fps being the sweet spot potentially - is it possible mostly and is it noticeably smoother?

 

I'm a snob and find even 40fps is hard to deal with. I've ended up curating the type of games I play on the Deck to be ones that run well at 60fps. You can get fairly full fat gaming experiences on there at a decent frame rate: Titanfall 2, Apex, Arkham Origins, Doom 2016 etc. As well as Indies or lighter weight games. But stuff like Elden or Deathloop will never comfortably hit it no matter what you do. At the end of the day it's all about choice and realistic expectations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Just wait till this thing costs 20 pounds a time to charge up 🤣

 

When it becomes 20 quid to charge, the only games we're going to be playing is Choose Your Own Adventure books

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Siri said:

 

When it becomes 20 quid to charge, the only games we're going to be playing is Choose Your Own Adventure books


Tory MP told old people to use books as fuel, so they’ll be expensive soon enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, deKay said:

Tory MP told old people to use books as fuel, so they’ll be expensive soon enough.

 

Ah, fuck. At least we'll be busy hunting seagulls to eat to keep ourselves warm in the wilderness.

 

Spoiler

Not that we should be doing anything less than use Parliament's second homes as warm banks, but I'll stay my tongue in case it becomes too inflammatory.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:


If it gets bad I’m taking my deck to work and charging it there. 

 

I mean, yeah. It's in the same class of form factor as the switch - it can run and charge at a net positive at 45w, but it will be slower - so even in a doomsday scenario it can run from a domestic standalone solar panel and relatively affordable power banks.

 

But again, if a deck costs that much to charge, societal collapse is more likely than being able to get a bug-out bag specifically for Vampire Survivors!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After a couple of hours on Titanfall 2 this evening 3 things are apparent:

 

1: If it isn't Xbox analogue sticks I'm just not as accurate. 

 

2: This thing is big and reaching for the shoulder bumpers is uncomfortable. If you're not using everything, map R1 & L1 to R4 & L4.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, T Pot said:

After a couple of hours on Titanfall 2 this evening 3 things are apparent:

 

1: If it isn't Xbox analogue sticks I'm just not as accurate. 

 

2: This thing is big and reaching for the shoulder bumpers is uncomfortable. If you're not using everything, map R1 & L1 to R4 & L4.

 

I agree regarding the analog sticks. They take some getting used to compared with the Xbox's. They feel a bit too long.

 

Separately, a question for anyone who's using the Xbox Cloud Gaming workaround: do you find that you have to close and then reload the Xbox app each time you resume play from suspend/standby, otherwise the game doesn't connect? I understand that turning the console off will shut down the session on the game I'm playing and boot me back to the Xbox Cloud Gaming home screen when I turn it back on again, but I don't understand why I then have to reload the app to get anything to connect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Separately, a question for anyone who's using the Xbox Cloud Gaming workaround: do you find that you have to close and then reload the Xbox app each time you resume play from suspend/standby, otherwise the game doesn't connect? I understand that turning the console off will shut down the session on the game I'm playing and boot me back to the Xbox Cloud Gaming home screen when I turn it back on again, but I don't understand why I then have to reload the app to get anything to connect.


Is there any reason you’re not pressing the on-screen icon in the top-left and then ‘quit game’? Probably best doing that before you go into standby as I don’t think I’ve ever had a problem with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Paulando said:


Is there any reason you’re not pressing the on-screen icon in the top-left and then ‘quit game’? Probably best doing that before you go into standby as I don’t think I’ve ever had a problem with it.

 

Didn't realise I could do that! I've tried clicking the sorry icon with the trackpad but it didn't work, so I just thought it was a quirk of the workaround. I'll try it.

 

It would be fantastic if you could just immediately resume your cloud session.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jamie John said:

 

Didn't realise I could do that! I've tried clicking the sorry icon with the trackpad but it didn't work, so I just thought it was a quirk of the workaround. I'll try it.

 

It would be fantastic if you could just immediately resume your cloud session.


Ahh! Yeah, you can press the Xbox guide button from there too.

 

Yeah, quick resume would be great, it’s one thing that does stop me from playing games from there sometimes, as oddly it needs a bigger time commitment than any other modern platform I have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've actually used quick resume on Xcloud games before. I stuck the Deck on standby without thinking, and turned it back on thirty seconds or so later to find myself exactly where I left it. I'm guessing there's a generous connection timeout.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I've actually used quick resume on Xcloud games before. I stuck the Deck on standby without thinking, and turned it back on thirty seconds or so later to find myself exactly where I left it. I'm guessing there's a generous connection timeout.

 

Yeah - if you go back to it a little bit later it will resume. I'm not sure what the timeout is. Someone on Reddit probably knows.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Paulando said:


Is there any reason you’re not pressing the on-screen icon in the top-left and then ‘quit game’? Probably best doing that before you go into standby as I don’t think I’ve ever had a problem with it.

 

This still doesn't work, unfortunately. If I go into standby with the Xbox Cloud Gaming app open, even if I've exited the game I was playing, when I resume and try to re-open any game from the Xbox dashboard I just get a Could Not Connect screen instantly. If I press the STEAM button on the deck, choose 'Exit Game' (i.e., exit the Xbox app) then reload the app, when I then click on a game it loads up without a hitch, but I have to reload the app first.

 

Is anyone else having this problem, or is it just me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/09/2022 at 21:59, AlexM said:

I’m using it as an F1 2018 machine, switching between the Steam Deck / Laptop depending on where I’m sitting. Cloud Saves are seamless, strongly considering a PC hooked up to the TV to finish off the experience. 

 

@bradigor

 

This guy mentioned F1 2018

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bradigor said:

Anyone played any of the F1 games on this? Is it a pleasant enough experience?

 

 

F1 2018 runs at 60fps on High, there are occasional drops to 58-59 but reducing the quality doesn't resolve that. This console is ideal for driving games, which is what I really wanted it for.

 

1 hour ago, Kryptonian said:

 

@bradigor

 

This guy mentioned F1 2018

 

Dude, my name is.. it's right there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, AlexM said:

 

F1 2018 runs at 60fps on High, there are occasional drops to 58-59 but reducing the quality doesn't resolve that. This console is ideal for driving games, which is what I really wanted it for.

 

 

Dude, my name is.. it's right there.


:(

 

Sorry @AlexM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't get past the language select screen on GTAV Steam version. Anyone encountered this issue and had success? Touchscreen doesn't appear to be active and trying to force Steam to show a mouse cursor isn't working either.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, bm said:

Can't get past the language select screen on GTAV Steam version. Anyone encountered this issue and had success? Touchscreen doesn't appear to be active and trying to force Steam to show a mouse cursor isn't working either.

 

 


Check another window hasn’t opened - press Steam and it will show you if so

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fucking Hell, I've just finished about 2 hours of play on Titan Fall 2 on my Deck.  It's ridiculous what that machine can do.

 

Obviously the Steam Deck is also pretty good too.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wanted to play Titanfall 2 while I'm on holiday but its asking me for origin ID and I have no decent WiFi.

 

So will stick to Vampire Survivors and Outrun 2. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After finishing Spider-Man, I'm taking a break before doing the DLC. Unsure whether to carry on with Yakuza 7 or go for another run at Life is Strange. 

 

I've now got all the LiS stuff and can play through it all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been stuck to my bedsheets this weekend due to Covid, so I've spent the entire time playing Diablo and not a lot else as I can't muster the brain juice to do it.

 

Well enough to cruise through Nightmare with a wind druid, mind. Thx vaccines/valve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there a technical limitation where installing to the sd card rather than the ssd is worse?  I'll be leaving steamos on it so no windows or that.  No scsi addressing issues there.  Is there a Linux limitation where the 64gb is an issue?  I just wondered as from a speed perspective the reports are no obvious difference between the 2 in load times etc. 

 

Does the sd card show up in lsblk and dev?  

 

I'm thinking of just getting an sd card initially rather than upgrading the 64gb ssd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.