Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

51 minutes ago, Captain Kelsten said:

but the few pages I've seen seem to suggest people are mostly using the steamdeck as an emulator??

How is it at being an actual steam deck, though, and playing current games??

I don’t think this is necessarily true, it’s just emulation naturally generates the most conversation as there’s a lot of things you can configure and do with it.

Playing stuff from Steam is generally as easy as any other handheld, so it doesn’t leave much to discuss in here!

1 hour ago, Captain Kelsten said:

I've not been keeping up, only dipping in and out of the thread but the few pages I've seen seem to suggest people are mostly using the steamdeck as an emulator??

How is it at being an actual steam deck, though, and playing current games??

It's not exactly current, but I've been playing a lot of Dragon Quest XI on mine and it's perfect for the Deck. I've not touched emulation.

I've also used it as an Xbox cloud gaming machine, most recently with Immortality which is a perfect streaming game.

The reason it's sparking so much emulation conversation is that there's a lot more involved in setting it all up. For most Steam games it's just a matter of installing the game, seeing it running well and heading off to the relevant thread.

Mine is quickly becoming the perfect way to finish my indie game pile of shame. Working my way through Kentucky Route Zero atm. TDP set to 3 (unsurprisingly KZR runs perfectly still) and played any time my better half fancies watching something trashy to decompress after a tough day of work.

Soooooo happy with my deck. Also, the tinkering…. Oh, how I love it.

Is it just me, or are the default scaling settings for the RetroArch cores varying degrees of terrible?

I’m used to AmberElec/JelOS making everything perfect on the Linux-based retro handhelds, so it’s quite disappointing really. And when I find a setup I like I try to save the config in RetroArch and it fails every time(?).

This is the what Dreamcast looks like by default:

9441B669-88CB-4DFE-A907-BD2D52E4C242.jpeg.f30d7dee9230ec58f66ee6b91d01bcf6.jpeg

It’s an absolute horror show. There are video options in the Quick Menu and some other menu too. What settings do I need to use to make this look good?

1 hour ago, Captain Kelsten said:

I've not been keeping up, only dipping in and out of the thread but the few pages I've seen seem to suggest people are mostly using the steamdeck as an emulator??

I'll try and offer something realistic - it's as good as a Linux PC running an APU that matches the Series S, but thermally throttled, playing games that are not designed to run on the operating system.

Some games will break, some games will not start without fucking around, and some simply won't be supported well due to Anti-cheat not being arranged by the developer, or always online DRM stopping the game altogether. On occasion, it might not perform so well if it's notably heavy (Ghostwire Tokyo, for instance).

But to put that all in perspective - I've owned a Steam Deck for about four months now. In that time, I played the following games on the Series S: Immortality and Road 96. My main PC with a sizeable GPU had to do a drive health check because I didn't turn it on for that period.

Every other time I have played a PC game - every other time I have played any game - has been through the Steam Deck. Comparatively, I've played about an hour of emulated stuff on it.

I racked up ~100 hours on Path of Exile alone. I'll save reeling off a list, but I've had a blast playing a wide variety of games - from Binding of Isaac to FF7 Remake in terms of graphics, from Quake to Neon White in terms of age, and anything from doujin nonsense fighters like Dong Dong Never Die to what I'm playing now, Diablo 2 Resurrected - a game from a launcher that doesn't support Linux at all.

Emulation's alright, too. I'm just a little busy with everything else.

3 hours ago, Captain Kelsten said:

It's fantastic. Main reason I use it as an emulator so often is I don't have it connected to the net at work, so I don't have to fuck about with offline mode to get it running games etc.

1 hour ago, tenrou said:

Looks like it's a 2230 nvme drive I'm looking for .  That should be do able.  Just need to source the drive cheap enough.  Cheers.  Didn't see that you could change the drive.

I've seen 256GB for as low as £25. If you see a deal on any 512 give me a shout!

5 minutes ago, T Pot said:

It's fantastic. Main reason I use it as an emulator so often is I don't have it connected to the net at work, so I don't have to fuck about with offline mode to get it running games etc.

Yeah emulation is great. When I next have a good vision day I'll be setting up Vita3k so I can make use of the bigger screen for TxK as starting to struggle too much with the Vita screen size more and more. 

7 hours ago, Paulando said:

Is it just me, or are the default scaling settings for the RetroArch cores varying degrees of terrible?

I’m used to AmberElec/JelOS making everything perfect on the Linux-based retro handhelds, so it’s quite disappointing really. And when I find a setup I like I try to save the config in RetroArch and it fails every time(?).

This is the what Dreamcast looks like by default:

9441B669-88CB-4DFE-A907-BD2D52E4C242.jpeg.f30d7dee9230ec58f66ee6b91d01bcf6.jpeg

It’s an absolute horror show. There are video options in the Quick Menu and some other menu too. What settings do I need to use to make this look good?

Yep, I wasn't happy with DC emulation with Retroarch, so changed it to Flycast stand-alone (after downloading it through the discovery store) in the Emustation menu - alternative emulators.

Much better that the Flycast core in Retroarch.

Valve released the top 10 games on steam deck by playtime for the Month of August on their Twitter.

Top Steam Deck games of August 2022, by hours played:

Vampire Survivors

Cult of the Lamb

ELDEN RING

Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered

Stardew Valley

No Man’s Sky

Hades

Multiversus

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition

MONSTER HUNTER RISE

Just cancelled my pre-order:(.

An unexpected £500 car repair bill and a general tightening of belt because of life at the moment means if this arrived this month I couldn't justify it.

The increase in manufacturing pushing my order from next year to Q4 to Q3 has fucked me right up:lol:.

Still on the upside with that same increase when I eventually do place the order again it should be quick (relatively speaking) to arrive.

6 minutes ago, NickC said:

On the official carry case, what is the long white material tab for? I can't work it out.

It's to lift the deck out of the case without actually touching the deck.

I never use it, personally.

7 minutes ago, NickC said:

Yeah I wondered about that. I realise I'm being thick here but I can't work out how to do it :facepalm:

You lay it down flat, then put your Deck on top of it 🙂 

When you pull the little bit sticking out at the top it’ll lift the Deck up.

One thing that frustrated me about the switch was the framerate - 30fps just doesn't cut it nowadays.

My Steam Deck should be available to purchase this month and I'm wondering - is it powerful to play things at over 30fps?

I've read about 40fps being the sweet spot potentially - is it possible mostly and is it noticeably smoother?

50 minutes ago, Simmy said:

One thing that frustrated me about the switch was the framerate - 30fps just doesn't cut it nowadays.

My Steam Deck should be available to purchase this month and I'm wondering - is it powerful to play things at over 30fps?

I've read about 40fps being the sweet spot potentially - is it possible mostly and is it noticeably smoother?

As always, it depends on the game you're playing - you'll probably only hit about 30fps on Cyberpunk 2077, worse if it's throwing shitloads of particle effects and reflections like Ghostwire Tokyo.

On the other hand: you're playing Cyberpunk 2077 and Ghostwire Tokyo on a handheld Jesus Christ

40fps alone isn't the actual magic bullet on the deck, btw - it's the fact you can set the FPS cap to that, as well as the refresh rate of the handheld screen on the fly. As a result, the performance and response of what's happening on the screen is a significant improvement over running 30fps on a standard 60hz television.

2 hours ago, Siri said:

It's to lift the deck out of the case without actually touching the deck.

I never use it, personally.

I've asked the wife to stitch a wee bit of velcro on the top and inside the case so I can use it as a security tab when unzipping the case.

Yeah, 40fps/Hz is definitely closer to 60fps in terms of battery drain on 3D stuff. Although the 'personal best' in my time having it is 40 minutes playing Generation Zero. OTOH, it was running at double the framerate of the Series S version at native resolution. I'm surprised it didn't explode from the heat it was spewing out :lol:

If you know it's going to play nice, you can tune the power consumption to 9-11w to reign in the battery a little - OTOH, it's best practice for most games anyway.