Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

47 minutes ago, gingerling said:

Anyone got any ideas why Lutris won't install? The installation appears to complete but it doesn't show within games or applications.

I had this. I had to follow the Flatpak installation steps instead, and reboot iirc.

2 hours ago, gingerling said:

Anyone got any ideas why Lutris won't install? The installation appears to complete but it doesn't show within games or applications.

Doesnt show on my Discovery at all, even after installation. However, it is in the installed software on the bottom left button under games.

4 hours ago, shirubagan said:

@HitcherA friend of mine recommended me this wireless mini keyboard. I’ve not bought it as I have a cheap full size BT MKB sitting around, but he says it’s great. 

https://amzn.eu/d/46MO65G

It works a treat....annoying it has the usa layout though (Ithink that is what it is anyway), the @ and " have swapped places. No doubt its an easy fix but I had no joy trying to find one when I first set it up.

On 11/08/2022 at 13:59, Siri said:

SGDBoop should help, although I haven't bothered with it yet - the only artwork I've added is manual or through Steam ROM manager. I know @bradigor's been doing stuff regarding Steam Grid artwork, I haven't been following it too much myself.

Just going back to this, as I finally installed SGDBoop. I followed this brain dead, step by step guide here.

It really is great if you have a smaller collection. Find the game you want on SGD, Click the boop + button on what you want, and then select the non-steam game you want to add it to. Do that for the four categories (Box Art, Steam Banner, Hero and Logo), and you're done.

Also, shout-outs to the ace SGD artwork for fangames. The art for TMNT x Justice League Turbo going full SSFIIT is slick as fuck:

Spoiler

image.png.69116869b765c761476ab930eb12fcb7.png

(I'm still writing shit up for the guide. Spoilers: good videogame)

31 minutes ago, gingerling said:

So I've got Lutris installed. But I cant get Virtua Tennis 3 to work. Is it just trial and error to which version of Wine I should be using?

Did you follow this video?: 

I just use the one mentioned on here (installed using some other app).

No Man's Sky is absolutely amazing on this. It runs incredibly well at 40fps on default settings, and it's just so nice to play it in the coolest room in the house without my PC baking me alive.

I've almost finished the current Expedition in it now, almost entirely played on the Deck.

3 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Being totally new to Steam how do game keys work from sites like CD keys, etc?

Click on the Games menu in Steam and choose add a game, then just bang the code in (with the hyphens).

1 minute ago, Popo said:

Click on the Games menu in Steam and choose add a game, then just bang the code in (with the hyphens).

Yep. You can do it in SteamOS, on the desktop client to copy/paste, and there's also a relatively hidden way to add it via a web browser (as in, there's no link on the Steam web store or the mobile app itself). But hey, here it is:

https://store.steampowered.com/account/registerkey

Log in, bang in the key and agree to the terms as you do on the desktop program, and you're done. When your deck connects to the internet again, it'll pop up in your library.

I've been using that on my mobile phone instead of actually punching in anything on a virtual keyboard, it's convenient.

On 02/08/2022 at 09:14, Paulando said:

1. Switch to Desktop mode

2. Extract ISO to folder (if you don’t have an ISO, skip to 3)

3. Steam > Add Game > Browse > File type ‘All Files’ > browse for the Outrun folder and select setup.exe > Open > Add Selected Programs

4. Find setup.exe in your Steam library > right-click > Properties > Compatibility > Force > Proton 7.0-3 (people say use experimental but this is the only one that worked for me)

5. Run the setup and install

6. Go to /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/ and open the latest folder (it’ll have loads of numbers as the name)

7. Inside this go to pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Sega/Outrun/ and copy the nocd OR2006C2C.exe here and replace the current one

8. Add a game to Steam again and add the config.exe from that same folder and run, select 1280x800 resolution

9. Add a game to Steam again and add the new OR2006C2C.exe from that same folder

10. Set the compatibility to Proton 7.0-3 on that one too

11. Blue skies

You can also do this to restore lens flare:

1. Go to <path-to-game>\Media folder.

2. Look for the lens_flare_offset.bin file and copy it.

3. Paste this file into the <path-to-game>\Common folder.

I’m a bit lost at Step 6 with the outrun install.  When I run setup it went through the install shield wizard and I left everything at default (in wanted to install to c:\) and it seems to have installed but I cannot local where it’s installed on my deck to go through Step 6. I cannot locate the compatdata folder.  I’m lost in general with navigating round Linux because I’m a dummy.

7 minutes ago, simms said:

I’m a bit lost at Step 6 with the outrun install.  When I run setup it went through the install shield wizard and I left everything at default (in wanted to install to c:\) and it seems to have installed but I cannot local where it’s installed on my deck to go through Step 6. I cannot locate the compatdata folder.  I’m lost in general with navigating round Linux because I’m a dummy.

Something like /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/ , from a quick search. Look for a longer number, they're reserved for non-steam games.

I've just started up my big PC for the first time since using the deck - it's been long enough that Windows had to repair itself :lol:

17 minutes ago, Siri said:

Something like /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/ , from a quick search. Look for a longer number, they're reserved for non-steam games.

I've just started up my big PC for the first time since using the deck - it's been long enough that Windows had to repair itself :lol:

I’m being massively thick here.  I don’t seem to have a folder called ‘deck’ never mind the rest of the path when I go to home with the dolphin file manager?  

22 minutes ago, simms said:

I’m being massively thick here.  I don’t seem to have a folder called ‘deck’ never mind the rest of the path when I go to home with the dolphin file manager?  

Depends where you clicked in the file manager - the 'home' in the top part of the file manager is actually /home/deck/. You can check this by clicking the path above the tab of the file manager.

The address described starts from the absolute root of Linux - basically, what's underneath that initial list, listed as a device, because it's what part of your hard drive is.

Also, be sure to show hidden files by clicking the three lines the top right of the file manager, and checking the box. Even if you were looking at the 'wrong' Home folder, you would have seen .local and went from there.

Again, you'll want the folder with a much longer string of numbers, it should be easy to see if this is the first time you've done this. In that folder, there will be a folder called 'pfx', and in there is 'drive c'. From that point, it pretends to be an entire folder structure from Windows, so it's something like program files > Sega > outrun > all the game files.

1 hour ago, simms said:

I’m a bit lost at Step 6 with the outrun install.  

I posted a detailed guide to setting up Outrun the other day - depending on which process you follow you don't actually need to run the installer - you can let Steam just figure it out:

56 minutes ago, Siri said:

Depends where you clicked in the file manager - the 'home' in the top part of the file manager is actually /home/deck/. You can check this by clicking the path above the tab of the file manager.

The address described starts from the absolute root of Linux - basically, what's underneath that initial list, listed as a device, because it's what part of your hard drive is.

Also, be sure to show hidden files by clicking the three lines the top right of the file manager, and checking the box. Even if you were looking at the 'wrong' Home folder, you would have seen .local and went from there.

Again, you'll want the folder with a much longer string of numbers, it should be easy to see if this is the first time you've done this. In that folder, there will be a folder called 'pfx', and in there is 'drive c'. From that point, it pretends to be an entire folder structure from Windows, so it's something like program files > Sega > outrun > all the game files.

Thanks so much, it was show hidden files that I was missing even though I did try it earlier but I must of been looking at the wrong Home folder 🤯.  I managed to get Outrun booted but I've got to out so I will probably have fun and games setting up the controller later or dealing with some other quirks.

44 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

I posted a detailed guide to setting up Outrun the other day - depending on which process you follow you don't actually need to run the installer - you can let Steam just figure it out:

Thank you I did try your method but it came up with an error when launching the config file and I tried swapping the proton version around.  @Paulando method worked out for me.