Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

I've got one of these on order... I just want to play games.  I don't want to fanny about and hack things and fuck around with settings or that.  I just want to go to steam, pick a game, download it and play it with no hassles.

Does it do that?

50 minutes ago, Siri said:

It will involve faff, and it might not run as smooth because of shader cache shenanigans, but it's fairly mapped out because of people shoehorning their cheap copies of RDR2 onto the deck. See here.

Thanks, that's a handy wee guide to a lot of things. 

10 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I've got one of these on order... I just want to play games.  I don't want to fanny about and hack things and fuck around with settings or that.  I just want to go to steam, pick a game, download it and play it with no hassles.

Does it do that?

I have one on order for the same reason. I fucking hope it does :lol:

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

Does it do that?

If you stick within the confines of the Verified program, sure. Heck, some of the Playable and unsupported games do that, too.

In case it's not obvious, a lot of the chat on here is things outside of that.

Does it do that?

If the game is in the "Great on Deck" category then yes

Does it do that?

Sort of. It tells you whether games have been tested and run well, and also whether games will have issues or not. You can filter by deck verified games if you want within steam. Plus, it’s a pc so you do occasionally run into issues with games not quitting properly etc and you’ll have to do regular restarts, all the stuff you generally don’t have to do on a proper console. Also nearly every time I turn it on it’s updating something or other, but shouldn’t don’t stop you from playing. 

4 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

If the game is in the "Great on Deck" category then yes

Horizon Zero Dawn excluded. I sometimes wonder if the testing for verified status goes on longer than the first 1-2 hours of gameplay.

Does it do that?

Yes. As others have said, if you stick to games in the "Great on Deck" tab of your library you can more or less do exactly that. "Playable" games will probably run fine but have some small issues that make it less suitable, such as small text, or a requirement to bring up the on-screen keyboard at some point. If you stray beyond this to unsupported or untested games then you may need to tweak stuff.

It's still a PC though, and you're playing PC games on it. You'll have the option to mess around with far more settings than you'd get on a console if you want to, but you can also just leave them alone and enjoy the games as they come. Tested games should state if the default graphics settings run well.

Am using the JSAUX one and it works nicely, but yeah, the USB C at the top is a pain. 

Had windows working well on SD card, but since the latest SteamDeck OS update it hasn’t played any sound and I can’t figure out why (normal SteamOS is fine). Have tried reinstalling drivers but still no joy, and windows update seems to be freaking out. Annoying. 

5909B918-F904-4065-825D-B19A72C6127D.jpeg

16 minutes ago, MattKB said:

Am using the JSAUX one and it works nicely, but yeah, the USB C at the top is a pain. 

Had windows working well on SD card, but since the latest SteamDeck OS update it hasn’t played any sound and I can’t figure out why (normal SteamOS is fine). Have tried reinstalling drivers but still no joy, and windows update seems to be freaking out. Annoying. 

Have you tried uninstalling the audio devices via Device Manager and uninstalling / reinstalling the APU driver with DDU?

59 minutes ago, MattKB said:

See this a lot on PCs at work. Always try deleting the sound driver from Device manager, don't just reinstall or put another on. Delete, restart and let Windows sort. If that fails try downloading a driver from a couple of versions ago.

Thanks, not sure what happened as I did the steam deck os update, went back to windows and it totally lost my login but probably unrelated and linked to windows updates. Anyway did all the updates and it now works, think it’s just had a moment :) 

23 minutes ago, MattKB said:

Thanks, not sure what happened as I did the steam deck os update, went back to windows and it totally lost my login but probably unrelated and linked to windows updates. Anyway did all the updates and it now works, think it’s just had a moment :) 

Not sure what it is with Windows and sound drivers, number of times it's happened on my gaming rig at home as well. Just them being a bit pants.

Has anyone managed to get the PC version of Sega Rally Revo working? That’ll be my next dream, love that game. Do wish I bought all these games on Steam originally, I’m stuck finding dodgy ISOs off the web. Tried one and had no luck.

Sable is beautiful but it's a bit choppy on Deck sometimes and the Deck itself got really warm. I love the overall style and the unusual animation of the main character. Feels like it's in the same vein as Journey and Rime so far, I got as far as putting my bike together before I had to charge.

On 02/08/2022 at 16:12, Siri said:

Actually, fuck that. Where's Super Hang-On?

There's a glorious PS3 port by M2.

3 hours ago, Paulando said:

Has anyone managed to get the PC version of Sega Rally Revo working? That’ll be my next dream, love that game. Do wish I bought all these games on Steam originally, I’m stuck finding dodgy ISOs off the web. Tried one and had no luck.

Yeah, but I partitioned the internal drive and stuck Windows on it to get it running. I grabbed the game from myabandonware. You can also run Sega Rally 3 via teknoparrot which has the Desert '95 track 🥰

6 hours ago, Paulando said:

No, but I have tried. Not really sure what else I can try as I'm not used to PC games.

it's a great game.

EDIT: There's this, I've tried to follow it but don't understand what to do: 

18 hours ago, Paulando said:

The fact that Valve put the USB-C port on the top of the Deck is an affront to humanity.

There should be one on the top and bottom really. Having it on the bottom would make it awkward to play with the device supported by a table / desk or other surface.

Feels like I’ve been investing into this console launch for the last 12 years and I am now getting my gaming pension. I have over 40 games that are ‘great on deck’ (probably bought on various steam sales) which I have played for less than an hour. It’s a backlog monster! I am near the end of ori which has far exceeded my expectations. Good times. 

I'm fascinated by how the Deck's FSR can have wildly different results when you drop the rez to 540p to gain framerate (I'm a PC snob and nearly everything I play on the deck needs to be 60fps). 

Deathloop and Monster Hunter World just look like a dog's dinner with it on, but Kingdom Come Deliverance. Wow. I had to keep checking I did indeed have the rez set correctly, as it looks brilliant, runs at 60fps and you'd hardly know it was running with upscaling. I've also been impressed with Mass Effect Andromeda, though the actual game is horseshit. Technically amazing to see it running though. 

Ultimately though the Steam Deck is effectively just here to run Monster Train and I'm happy with that. 

How does EA Play work on steam deck?

Can I just pay the sub and then download the included games from the steam store? 

Also, I have game pass ultimate which includes EA Play, if I put in my ea username will I get it for free?

1 hour ago, Ry said:

How does EA Play work on steam deck?

Can I just pay the sub and then download the included games from the steam store? 

Also, I have game pass ultimate which includes EA Play, if I put in my ea username will I get it for free?

You have to get the steam subscription for it on Steam.

Once you get it, on the store page you can make it available in your library. Then you can download it.

I’m currently using it as it was 80p for a month and I wanted to test a bunch of games on my geriatric PC. I’ve been a bit disappointed with the line up. Seems pretty limited compared to EA Play elsewhere and nothing you couldn’t just pick up in a sale. Not worth a fiver. 

40EE4C71-7ADB-4FB8-918A-B4F2B5466399.thumb.jpeg.5969a67989d027560c1fae0ca8b08cad.jpeg

Finally got the PC version of Sega Rally Revo working! Which should hopefully pave the way for more 360/PS3-era PC games.

I ended up using Lutris in the end, which seems far better than using the Steam compatibility stuff, as you can customise the wine prefix to your liking and easily manage its location etc, so I think that’s what I’ll be using for non-steam stuff from now on. I should be able to just zip this install folder up and keep it somewhere now as a backup.

Installing the Sega Rally exe patch was amusing. It would unpack everything then fail, so I let it run, left the error message up while I copied the patched files out of the temp directory, then moved them over manually into the Sega Rally installation folder :lol: