Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

You should also donate to The Internet Archive, if you can spare the money in these trying times.

Long forgotten magazine archives, archival of old television footage and saving of old news articles (before they're amended, I'm looking at your fucking blog posts, Dominic Cummings) is also in their domain, as well as being the only website I know of to get an exemption from DMCA.

One of the only sites that deserves money for so much they hold dear.

42 minutes ago, Moz said:

No but you'll have to install all the emulators as well. I would just bite the bullet on an SD card. 

Incidentally if anyone has a nice ROM dump without millions of Japanese untranslated games, junky PAL roms or weird Mario romhacks please don't PM me a link because that would be ILLEGAL.

If you have complete ROM sets and you're comfortable with a bit of Python I'd recommend looking up SmokeMonster's Everdrive ROM packs. There's a script that builds a set of ROMs from a text file defining directory structure and contents, which you can fully customise to get rid of duplications, etc. Even if you use the default config you can just delete the directories containing the regions you don't want from the output folder after the script runs.

Apologies if this question has been answered previously here...

I'm on holiday for a week and my order email just came through. I instinctively placed my order without thinking whether I'll be home when it's delivered. How long do they generally take to be delivered to the UK? And if you're not going to be in is it easy to delay the delivery by a few days?

1 minute ago, NickC said:

Apologies if this question has been answered previously here...

I'm on holiday for a week and my order email just came through. I instinctively placed my order without thinking whether I'll be home when it's delivered. How long do they generally take to be delivered to the UK? And if you're not going to be in is it easy to delay the delivery by a few days?

Most are 7 days. 

37 minutes ago, Siri said:

You should also donate to The Internet Archive, if you can spare the money in these trying times.

Long forgotten magazine archives, archival of old television footage and saving of old news articles (before they're amended, I'm looking at your fucking blog posts, Dominic Cummings) is also in their domain, as well as being the only website I know of to get an exemption from DMCA.

One of the only sites that deserves money for so much they hold dear.

Good call. Just donated as they've been a godsend since my old sources vanished.

20 hours ago, Strafe said:

I have sent my Steam Deck and it’s faulty R1 button back to Valve. I pray for it’s (or more likely it’s replacement) safe journey back into my arms.

1 like = 1 prayer

Wow, those prayers worked, I got my steam deck back today!

Unfortunately it’s because I didn’t include an invoice for customs. An invoice the DHL centre explicitly told me I didn’t need.

Fuck this Brexit shit.

Got an email about preparing to ship two days after purchase which gives you a tracking email for the Netherlands part of the journey, three days after I got a Parcelforce email to tell me when they're delivering in the UK.

11 minutes ago, Siri said:

Got an email about preparing to ship two days after purchase which gives you a tracking email for the Netherlands part of the journey, three days after I got a Parcelforce email to tell me when they're delivering in the UK.

Cool, thanks. 

1 hour ago, Ry said:

When did you guys get a dispatch email after purchasing?

Still got nothing here. 

Mine sat doing nothing for a few days and then got converted to a parcelforce delivery which also sat doing nothing for a few days, but this was probably due to the weekend. Check the parcelforce number in the email from GLS.

21 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Got my Steam Deck yesterday. Since then, I've made it into a Sega racing machine:

Sega Rally (PS2 version, can't get Model 2 Emu working)

Sega Rally 2 (arcade)

Scud Race (arcade)

Outrun 2006 (PC)

Outrunners (Mame)

Daytona 2 (arcade)

Sonic Transformed (Steam)

Initial D (PS2)

Loving it.

It's no Sega racing machine without Sonic R.

6 hours ago, Paulando said:

1. Switch to Desktop mode

2. Extract ISO to folder (if you don’t have an ISO, skip to 3)

3. Steam > Add Game > Browse > File type ‘All Files’ > browse for the Outrun folder and select setup.exe > Open > Add Selected Programs

4. Find setup.exe in your Steam library > right-click > Properties > Compatibility > Force > Proton 7.0-3 (people say use experimental but this is the only one that worked for me)

5. Run the setup and install

6. Go to /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/ and open the latest folder (it’ll have loads of numbers as the name)

7. Inside this go to pfx/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Sega/Outrun/ and copy the nocd OR2006C2C.exe here and replace the current one

8. Add a game to Steam again and add the config.exe from that same folder and run, select 1280x800 resolution

9. Add a game to Steam again and add the new OR2006C2C.exe from that same folder

10. Set the compatibility to Proton 7.0-3 on that one too

11. Blue skies

You can also do this to restore lens flare:

1. Go to <path-to-game>\Media folder.

2. Look for the lens_flare_offset.bin file and copy it.

3. Paste this file into the <path-to-game>\Common folder.

Thank you. You star. I'm in your debt. 

Which Outrun 2 file should I download? I think someone shared a link some time ago but I can't find it. 

36 minutes ago, deKay said:

Or Virtua Racing - although the most fun I had with that game was through the Pico-8 demake.

Actually, fuck that. Where's Super Hang-On? Maybe I should stick on Manx TT as we-no I bought this fucking thing to play actual Steam games fuuuuucccckkkkk

I've been playing Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth this lunchtime. It's very pleasant.

One thing I forgot to mention over the weekend was trying out Thief Simulator because it was the princely sum of four quid along with Bad End Theatre - for something that has an absolute shedload of warnings, it works really well. I think the main issues was using the mouse mode (Steam button and the touchpad) to navigate and activate the controller, and then the on screen keyboard to type up a profile name. From that point, you're off and away to pilfer shit out of jank looking houses.

33FB6F6A-762D-48F9-98A2-67A3A9C70581.thumb.jpeg.6f129775c0f5e85dd368cb7c22de6012.jpeg

:wub:

Haven’t played Peggle in ages. There seems to be a decent amount of 360/PS3-era games available on Steam that are difficult to play on anything else.

Any others that come to mind? Might have to pick up a few more.

2 hours ago, bradigor said:

How does Scud Race play?

Perfectly - using the Model 3 emu... well the GUI - Supermodel Assistant. 

I've never played it before, amazingly, no arcade I've been to has had a working one. Never wanted to use a PC for gaming, either.

Recognise the early tracks from the original Outrun 2 though!

Just now, Kramer said:

Perfectly - using the Model 3 emu... well the GUI - Supermodel Assistant. 

I've never played it before, amazingly, no arcade I've been to has had a working one. Never wanted to use a PC for gaming, either.

Recognise the early tracks from the original Outrun 2 though!

Ah ok, that scared me when I saw it. Do you know of an idiots guide?

2 hours ago, deKay said:

1 hour ago, Siri said:

Or Virtua Racing - although the most fun I had with that game was through the Pico-8 demake.

Actually, fuck that. Where's Super Hang-On? Maybe I should stick on Manx TT as we-no I bought this fucking thing to play actual Steam games fuuuuucccckkkkk

Sonic R, Super Hang On and Virtua Racing I have running on other handhelds - so wasn't a priority to get up and running straight away.

Has anyone got the Model 2 emu working? There's a UI - but I can't get it running like the Model 3 emu.

Also ran through Star Wars Trilogy, which was great.

20 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Ah ok, that scared me when I saw it. Do you know of an idiots guide?

Download the Super assistant.

Unzip.

Place the roms in the roms folder.

Send the Super Assistant folder to Steam Deck using Warpinator (or however you do it).

Add to Steam library.

Change compatibility to Proton 7.0-3.

*Turn off Steam Deck Performance Overlay Level* Otherwise you can't see the tiny Options in the upper left corner. Lots of controls here - scroll to Steering Wheel and change it all to your analogue stick - JOY1_XAXIS.

There are a few community layout controls - choose one.

Change the game options to save on exit.

Start Scud Race (Australia). Use one of the back buttons to get into the Menu. Use A and B to scroll options. Use X to confirm. Change to single cab etc - essentially turn off the network features.

Thats about it. I'm not au fait with PC gaming, but managed to work it all out this morning.

1 minute ago, Kramer said:

Download the Super assistant.

Unzip.

Place the roms in the roms folder.

Send the Super Assistant folder to Steam Deck using Warpinator (or however you do it).

Add to Steam library.

Change compatibility to Proton 7.0-3.

*Turn off Steam Deck Performance Overlay Level* Otherwise you can't see the tiny Options in the upper left corner. Lots of controls here - scroll to Steering Wheel and change it all to your analogue stick - JOY1_XAXIS.

That is about it - There are a few community layout controls you can try to.

Does it have it's own roms folder or use the one I already have via emudeck

I never have tried to get model 3 working via emulation on other modern handhelds. Will need to give it a go as there is so much I want to play. 

It's something I know nothing about though. 

6 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Does it have it's own roms folder or use the one I already have via emudeck

You don't use Emudeck or Rom manager. Has it's own folder. Do the first steps on a PC.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK