IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

I want to start dabbling with emulation and looking into an SD card because there are different specs of memory card its hard to know which one would best.  I settled on getting the SanDisk Ultra 512GB microSDXC with A1 App Performance Up to 120 MB/s for £55.99 but there is a SanDisk 512GB Extreme microSDXC card with A2 App Performance for £123.99.  Is the A2 version worth paying extra for emulation?

For double the price, for the sake of running ROMs off of it? Fuck no, dude.

Even if you really insist on an A2 card (which is, from current understanding of the state of the Linux kernel, negligible), you can pick up a Samsung Evo Select 512gb for about 80 on Amazon, and they usually go on sale for about 50 quid.

Buy the ultra.

As I understand it, the Extreme cards have much better write speeds (good for saving photos on your DSLR, for example), which isn’t of much use to people like us who are mainly concerned with read speeds (good for loading games). 

So no, not worth it. 

Fuckinell this is hard work innit? Got EmuDeck installed, but found Steam OS couldn’t use SMB shares from my Mac for some reason (I’m sure there’s another solution to this).

So I freed up space on the 200GB card in my Switch, put it in the Deck and formatted. Uninstalled EmuDeck and installed again on the memory card. Found my Mac can’t see the memory card because it’s formatted to EXF4, or something, so I had to download another program with a trial so I could transfer stuff over. Chucked a few ROMs on, put it back in, but all of the emulators I thought I’d uninstalled and installed again were still pointing at the internal memory. I think I eventually found them in the Discover app, removed them all, then did another fresh install of EmuDeck to the memory card but there was some other issue, so just started again and copied the ROMs to the internal memory using Dolphin. Phew.

About three hours later I finally got Paper Mario 2 running from its own icon, which runs like a dream, I’m happy to say.

How to people manage large (or even small) libraries of ROMs though? Seems like it could get messy if Steam ROM Manager is making an icon for them all every time I run it. And if I’m launching Paper Mario 2 from its own icon, how would I use save/load states in Dolphin while it’s running?

42 minutes ago, Paulando said:

How to people manage large (or even small) libraries of ROMs though? Seems like it could get messy if Steam ROM Manager is making an icon for them all every time I run it. 

I personally uncheck every format on Steam ROM Manager, and check Emulation Station. That way, there's only a single entry in SteamOS and entire libraries are just pooled into that instead.

If you've only got one or two games for a format and you really want to give them visibility, you can check them as well.

1 minute ago, Siri said:

I personally uncheck every format on Steam ROM Manager, and check Emulation Station. That way, there's only a single entry in SteamOS and entire libraries are just pooled into that instead.

If you've only got one or two games for a format and you really want to give them visibility, you can check them as well.

Ahh nice, didn’t realise you could do that. Sounds better!

5 hours ago, Paulando said:

Fuckinell this is hard work innit? Got EmuDeck installed, but found Steam OS couldn’t use SMB shares from my Mac for some reason (I’m sure there’s another solution to this).

I had this problem, does your Mac have a local host name? This is what I did, using Dolphin:

Select 'Network', then click 'Shared Folders (SMB)', then select your Mac, then in the address bar delete '.local' from the Mac name.

This caused Dolphin to prompt for the Share username and password (which I then told Dolphin to save).

Then, right-click on your chosen Mac folder, and you can select 'Add to Places' which gives you a permanent shortcut in the Dolphin sidebar.

17 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

I had this problem, does your Mac have a local host name? This is what I did, using Dolphin:

Select 'Network', then click 'Shared Folders (SMB)', then select your Mac, then in the address bar delete '.local' from the Mac name.

This caused Dolphin to prompt for the Share username and password (which I then told Dolphin to save), and from then on it's just a click away.

Ah lovely, I’ll give this a try. Thanks!

Has anyone found an elegant way of charging their Deck on a surface, like a docking cradle or something similar? I'm not bothered about connecting it to my TV or anything; I just want to house it somewhere to charge it when I'm not using it.

While it's off, I usually just flip the deck upside down in the included case. The difference in height is enough that you can plug the USB straight in and gently drop the lid on top.

Just remember that it's unzipped before you pick the case up by the handle.

I've managed to install an old PC game and add it to my Steam library, but the only control schemes for the game are keyboard or 360 controller. I am not sure what the best way is to go about trying to get everything mapped. It's a racing game and at the moment only the left stick and triggers work. Ideally I'd like the Steam Deck to be able to emulate a 360 controller if that is possible? Or failing that, is there some way to look into the games folders and find out what the keyboard mappings were? I found a controller file but it just listed a load of stuff that points to "inputs" but I have no idea what they correlate to on the keyboard. Cheers

edit: I did look online on a fair few "manual download" sites but none of them have the manual for this particular game.

I'm not sure I follow - if the game supports a 360 controller, it supports XInput, which should be recognised automatically by Steam Input.

However, some older games conflate 360 control with DirectInput - which Xinput is supposed to be backwards compatible with, but most of the time that shit simply doesn't work. Worse, neither does Steam Input.

Anyway, generic help as you don't mention the game itself:

- check the game's entry on PCGamingWiki. It should tell you what input it supports, and any mods/workarounds.

- Following on with mods, look into any fan patches that modernise the game (like how FXT works with Outrun 2006, which funnily enough includes making the Xinput work)

- I have no idea if this works on Linux - There's a program called XinputPlus on Windows that allowed you to point at a program, and make a DLL file for it that forwards Xinput to DirectInput. You could attempt that through Wine.

- Old PC games have readmes somewhere in the files. That will have generic information, possibly including controller support information and control schemes.

- When you add something on Steam, try and give it the exact name it's known as. If you're lucky, someone might have already made a Steam Input file (even if it's mapped to the Steam Controller, PS4 controller or otherwise) that you can borrow and make something for the deck.

@Siri Yeah it's a bit of a strange one. The game is called Mercedes Benz World Racing (or just World Racing in some regions)

It lists in the game either keyboard or 360 controller. But then below that shows controller/keyboard just above where you select what you want to use for steering and accelerate/brake, as though it expects you to use a mixture of both, which would make it almost impossible to play so can't mean that at all. Nothing else in the game itself is configurable, which seems odd. But it means when playing that you can steer, accelerate and brake, oh and the A button works for select. But that's it. No other buttons do anything. 

I wasn't sure if I could rename the game once it was in the Steam library, as at the moment it shows up as something like mbwrpc.exe and I'd like it to just show the name of the game. The game was modded for quite a few years after release so I'm surprised that I haven't been able to find much information on it. 

Since I posted above, I managed to find an original copy of the game including the manual for £3 on eBay so I've ordered that anyway in the hope the manual includes everything I need. 

I'll check out that website as well and see what information it comes up with. Thanks for your reply :) 

Are there any flatpack apps that'll convert .bin/.cue to CHD? I'm a bit new with emulating anything over 16-bit and EmulationStation and Steam ROM Manager are picking my .bin and .cue files up as separate games. Multi-disc stuff like Resident Evil 2 is a bit of a bugger as well.

14 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Are there any flatpack apps that'll convert .bin/.cue to CHD? I'm a bit new with emulating anything over 16-bit and EmulationStation and Steam ROM Manager are picking my .bin and .cue files up as separate games. Multi-disc stuff like Resident Evil 2 is a bit of a bugger as well.

If you have a PC, then use that to do conversions first. 

You want something like CHDMAN for converting...

So you'll get this for multi-disk games,

image.png.b67064a1b61f51c4130ab240cd62bb3d.png

Then you'll want to create an m3u file.

image.png.a0eb7025d949315a509e5d973b73e4d5.png

Then you'll link to ther .chd files inside of that (open in notepad, notepadd++, etc

image.png.f31b3ce7ff91aea71e4478968fc9adb3.png

Make sure they are placed in the right roms folder together (eg: psx for Playstation, etc)

If you use Emulation Station, you can tell it to then ONLY look for m3u files to keep things clean. I made m3u fioles for ALL my Playstation games for example. 

Here is a link for CHDMAN (my own Mega folders) https://mega.nz/file/czokCDRa#GHqg-eX88oUDCiAcwJMR2LbwyhNCyB_OhMpgU5zkWLU 

A guide on how to use: https://wiki.recalbox.com/en/tutorials/utilities/rom-conversion/chdman

Deck get! I've got five different MicroSD cards here and the Steam Deck thinks they're all fake. To be fair, I don't know where half of them came from and none of them are new. To Amazon!

Time to fire up a load of games and go "ooh" then uninstall them again. And then put emudeck on it.

19 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Then you'll link to ther .chd files inside of that (open in notepad, notepadd++, etc

Make sure they are placed in the right roms folder together (eg: psx for Playstation, etc)

If you use Emulation Station, you can tell it to then ONLY look for m3u files to keep things clean. I made m3u fioles for ALL my Playstation games for example. 

Here is a link for CHDMAN (my own Mega folders) https://mega.nz/file/czokCDRa#GHqg-eX88oUDCiAcwJMR2LbwyhNCyB_OhMpgU5zkWLU 

A guide on how to use: https://wiki.recalbox.com/en/tutorials/utilities/rom-conversion/chdman

If the app you're using looks a bit messy with all the chds and m3us for the same game, an extra tip for multi-disk is to put the chds into a sub directory, and have the m3u in the main directory point to that. So I dump all mine into "multi" and make the emulator not look in subdirectories. 

Regarding @Moz's SD cards, I'm trying to think if it's possible to just jump into the desktop mode, plug in the card and just format to EXT4 to get them visible and working with the deck.

I'd try it with my own, but all my SD cards are loaded with games :lol:

If someone could send me a link to a reliable retroarch bios pack that would be mucho appreciated, I definitely own all the consoles already so it's not illegal if you're reading this Mr FBI

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

Thanks so much, I'll try this when I'm at my PC later!

57 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

If the app you're using looks a bit messy with all the chds and m3us for the same game, an extra tip for multi-disk is to put the chds into a sub directory, and have the m3u in the main directory point to that. So I dump all mine into "multi" and make the emulator not look in subdirectories. 

Thanks for this too, I usually prefer to keep related files in subdirectories as well.

22 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Has anyone found an elegant way of charging their Deck on a surface, like a docking cradle or something similar? I'm not bothered about connecting it to my TV or anything; I just want to house it somewhere to charge it when I'm not using it.

I bought one of the stands from aliexpress for a fiver (about a tenner from ebay), & one of the right angle usb-c connectors.

Xbox cloud streaming works waaaay better than expected. Granted I'm within spitting distance of my access point but it's really impressive. No problem playing Hades and just a tiny bit of video compression. Great of Microsoft to include all the instructions and artwork.

I have sent my Steam Deck and it’s faulty R1 button back to Valve. I pray for it’s (or more likely it’s replacement) safe journey back into my arms.

1 like = 1 prayer

On 30/07/2022 at 09:32, Popo said:

What I imagine other people see when I get the Steam Deck out in public:

image.gif.1545fbbe51a6fc76456701a8979504a8.gif

yeah, I’ll use mine on trains and planes, but it’s too huge for bus or tube. 

Basically places i’ld get a laptop out. 

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK