Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

11 hours ago, Siri said:

Because it's the desktop. Wayland is susceptible to not really figuring out how to prioritise the keyboard - SteamOS (well, Gamescope to be more precise, which is a Wayland compositor) manages windowed applications and overlays more smartly because it's also monitoring other shit.

I'd recommend changing the desktop control scheme anyway to actually use the back paddles in addition to anything else - I think I've got the entire deck mapped as an Xinput controller, with the pads working as mouse and scroll wheel, and back paddles being mouse side buttons, middle click and Show Keyboard so there's a physical toggle somewhere instead of wondering if the desktop has even recognised the macro.

Thanks, all sorted now.

Could anyone who has OG Xbox games running in Emudeck help please? I have everything necessary but I'm not sure where to put those other files that are required to get it working. Thanks

14 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Could anyone who has OG Xbox games running in Emudeck help please? I have everything necessary but I'm not sure where to put those other files that are required to get it working. Thanks

Just place the Xbox bios files in Emudeck's 'bios' folder. If Xemu won't load after that then you've got a file missing/bad dump. If you see the XB start-up animation followed by a 'Please insert a disc' message, then you're good. XB roms need to be in the XISO format.

2 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Just place the Xbox bios files in Emudeck's 'bios' folder. If Xemu won't load after that then you've got a file missing/bad dump. If you see the XB start-up animation followed by a 'Please insert a disc' message, then you're good. XB roms need to be in the XISO format.

Excellent. Thanks very much :) 

Arrived this morning and I had bought GTA 5 and RDR2 from steam in anticipation. 

Neither of which work 😕 because they need an activation code Vavle haven't provided me...

Anyone had this, or got a work around? Only game I have actually got working is HL2

12 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Arrived this morning and I had bought GTA 5 and RDR2 from steam in anticipation. 

Neither of which work 😕 because they need an activation code Vavle haven't provided me...

Anyone had this, or got a work around? Only game I have actually got working is HL2

I had the same issue. You should have a rockstar social club account associated with steam now and the activation code found (I think) by selecting properties in the library, then local files, then Verify integrity of Game Cache. Then use that code in the social club thing and you shouldn’t have to bother again after that.

Hmm! Got the email! But I think I’m gonna sack it off. Sounds like way too much admin to get it working in a way that I don’t feel like I’m missing the point of it all. Fkk dunno. 

Anyone want my 512gb order?

39 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Hmm! Got the email! But I think I’m gonna sack it off. Sounds like way too much admin to get it working in a way that I don’t feel like I’m missing the point of it all. Fkk dunno. 

The admin stuff that dominates the chat on here is practically all optional. 

Today, I was going through my Humble account and saw I that I hadn't used a code for that Sonic racing transformed game. Used the code and downloaded it to my Deck where it was practically the same as playing it on a console. Didn't have to set up anything beyond "press A to create a save file" stuff that happens all the time starting a new game.

I've been playing Kentucky Route Zero for the last week and like Sonic there wasn't any need to fiddle with settings and such. Just booted up the game and away I went. 

Unfortunately, "Game X works just fine" doesn't generate much of a conversation. 

Even most games that aren't supported just work. Project Cars 2 for example. 

All the 'admin' and 'tinkering' is just extra curricular and those of us intrigued by what else can be done. 

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

Buy it, try it, keep it or sell it - you won't lose anything by giving it a go first.

2 hours ago, mikeyl said:

Admin? Ha! Think of the amount of hours you've wasted holding the dismantle button in Destiny 2 when you could be doing it on the bog.

Game Pass Cloud gaming on this is marvellous. Just played through Firewatch in one sitting, perfect performance, no fan noise, low battery drain.

The game is absolutely marvellous too, of course. Incredible writing and voice acting, and beautifully told. But, of course, you all already knew that I’m sure.

2 hours ago, mikeyl said:

For the vast majority of games there's no more admin involved than there is on a console. You pick a game from your library (helpfully sortable for games that work well on the Deck), install it and off you go.

If you want to start adding other stores, emulators or whatever then yes there's more admin (as a one off), but you don't have to do any of that and that's all extra stuff you wouldn't even have the option of doing on a console. 

The "point" of the Steam Deck from Valve's perspective is to offer a convenient way to play Steam games, and encourage you to buy more Steam games. That's it.

23 hours ago, Siri said:

Because it's the desktop. Wayland is susceptible to not really figuring out how to prioritise the keyboard - SteamOS (well, Gamescope to be more precise, which is a Wayland compositor) manages windowed applications and overlays more smartly because it's also monitoring other shit.

I'd recommend changing the desktop control scheme anyway to actually use the back paddles in addition to anything else - I think I've got the entire deck mapped as an Xinput controller, with the pads working as mouse and scroll wheel, and back paddles being mouse side buttons, middle click and Show Keyboard so there's a physical toggle somewhere instead of wondering if the desktop has even recognised the macro.

How did you do that? Thanks.

40 minutes ago, alex3d said:

How did you do that? Thanks.

IIRC, it's in the desktop Steam client. Something like the Steam thing in the top left, then settings, and in the left column there's a controller sub-menu. In there, there's three buttons, one of them is called 'desktop configuration'. That'll punt you into a Big Picture Mode window with all the controller setup you can modify.

There's probably the same option in SteamOS, mind, I'm just used to doing it that way. Check that first.

Also: this only affects when Steam is on - it doesn't affect how the controls work in 'Lizard Brain' mode when you've closed Steam on the Desktop.

11 hours ago, mikeyl said:

As others have said, give it a go first.

BUT ABSOLUTELY PLEASE YES ME FIRST DIBS

32 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Now that I have one, I don't believe anybody should cancel their preorder. 

I get the gag, but they're free to do so if it means someone else who reserved in the first hour is able to get their order.

I got mine, and I think it's great. I'm just waiting for people that are more enthusiastic and cleverer than me to get it to make it better, if they haven't already.

Another question about emudeck/xemu please. Once the emulator loads up and you see the Xbox boot screen, should you then see a list of your games? All I see is "please insert disc" and if you try to click on the load disc button, you can't actually browse to where the iso's are? But steam rom manager is definitely pointing to the right place. And the xbox game is in the xiso format from a reputable site. Thanks

8 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Note: JSRF runs horribly. Boosting is broken. I am cry.

MVG did mention that in his latest video about XBox Emulation on the Deck. sounds like it's being worked on, and in the comments someone has mentioned that it's possible that the frame drops might be mitigated using a Vulkan wrapper for graphics. Might be worth a look, video's here:

Yeah, decided to wait on progress with xemu before going back in as most of the games I want to play aren't running great. JSRF, Crimson Skies, PGR

I'm still surprised that people are intending to emulate something that's based on x86, as opposed to just figuring out a wrapper for the software. I guess to the APIs and callouts on games were different enough to be a problem.

Incredibly early doors for XBox as opposed to the PS2 and GC, though. Didn't emulation only started to pick up for the format a couple years ago by one guy?

1 hour ago, Siri said:

I'm still surprised that people are intending to emulate something that's based on x86, as opposed to just figuring out a wrapper for the software. I guess to the APIs and callouts on games were different enough to be a problem.

Incredibly early doors for XBox as opposed to the PS2 and GC, though. Didn't emulation only started to pick up for the format a couple years ago by one guy?

I think so, but I might be mis-remembering. I am also hjoping that the Steam Deck breathes some life into Vita Emulation. Some great Vita exclusives that could really benefit from the bigger screen and actual back buttons :lol: 

Last night I fancied a little change up after FH5 and finishing Tomb Raider, so tried Train Sim World 2 and Elite Dangerous. 

Small text an issue on both, but ED runs really well and TSW2 seemed to play well too, but struggled recognising the controls at times. 11PM quickly turned to 3AM on ED. 

2 hours ago, Siri said:

MVG did mention that in his latest video about XBox Emulation on the Deck. sounds like it's being worked on, and in the comments someone has mentioned that it's possible that the frame drops might be mitigated using a Vulkan wrapper for graphics. Might be worth a look, video's here:

Unfortunately it's been a problem (apparently) for a long time, so when it'll get resolved is anyone's guess. The bug also renders the game unplayable because you can't control your character during the wonky boost animation, something that MVG doesn't mention.

2 hours ago, Superunknown said:

You don’t need to boot Xemu. Just use Steam rom manager to add the xiso to Steam and then boot the required game from the NonSteam or Emulator tabs in SteamOS.

Gotcha :) Managed to get the game running, but as soon as I go to start the game it asks me save, but then says the storage was removed. It shows as having 50,000 blocks free on the "Xbox HDD" so I suspect I may need to put the xbox hdd image into a different folder than the bios one? Thanks for your help so far.

No, just put the Xbox HDD image in the bios folder. I guess it could be a problem with the HDD image file, unless a config has been messed up somewhere. I used emudeck to set it up and didn't do anything apart from chuck the bios and HDD files into the bios folder.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK