Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

I bought one of these to quash my urges to build a PC.. now thanks to ETA PRIME I want to build a HTPC running Holo OS (Steam OS), what is wrong with me?!

8 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

How long to these take to ship once you have paid and had your order confirmed?

got mine a week from payment 

10 hours ago, AlexM said:

I bought one of these to quash my urges to build a PC.. now thanks to ETA PRIME I want to build a HTPC running Holo OS (Steam OS), what is wrong with me?!

If it helps, I've always had to accept compromises when it comes to trying to set up a dedicated PC box - unless you're willing to waggle a dedicated remote to get through game launchers, the Steam Deck still has it best because everything is.. well, right in front of you.

I think I'd still rather have a broader interpretation of Linux without the immutable file systems for a general box, too - I'd sooner stick Manjaro, Endeavour or Fedora and modify their Steam Client to use the new UI than anything glued together to make SteamOS work outside of the deck. At least then I can get Lutris in a usable state.

Speaking of usable states, I can officially thank the Steam Deck for giving me enough time to.. actually get my head around Puyo Puyo. I'm still hot garbage compared to Tetris (yes, it's the original Puyo Puyo Tetris), but at least I'm able to start forming chains and actually beat the AI.

EDIT: I also learnt this morning that PSO2.. is now working on SteamOS/Proton. I honestly wasn't expecting that, considering the Gameguard anti-cheat is used by about 30-40 old-ass PC games that might as well be synonymous with Punkbuster and GameSpy.

It's been about a year since I binned the game off in a huff with how shit the endgame was, maybe when I get a moment I'll see how the new content has been coming along.

Got to play that Turbo Golf Racing and whilst I can't say anything about the game itself due to embargo. It runs on the deck right out the box 

6 minutes ago, deKay said:

Anyone got a way to play Amazon Prime Gaming games on this?

I used Amazon Prime Games for this video :) 

Yeah, the Wii U version via CEMU would perform better than the Switch Version via Yuzu.

Either way, run Emudeck and then lump on your game via however the fuck you want to do that, job's a good-un.

Yeah. It basically pulls all the applications from either the app store or standalone repositories, installs them, then sets up the emulators with the ideal settings and configures the folders to where you want to put games into (SD card or internal).

It'll take you step by step, and even gives advice if you want to use Steam ROM manager to add them to SteamOS (I don't do this, I rather just have Emulation Station or load up the emulator by itself if it's got a decent UI).

The only thing I couldn't figure out from it was adding the plugin manager - I've heard the hyperthreading that AMD processors do can be detrimental to emulator performance, although the games I've been playing haven't been affected by it so far.

43 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Emudeck is a one stop shop/app for emulation, I take it?

Does the legwork all you need to find are the ROMs/bios. 

DM me when set up and I'll help with the keys and firmware 

23 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Can you install mods? E.g. the first person mod for Witcher 3?

Depends entirely on the game and how it handles mods. For example, the FF7R mods I run to turn off dynamic resolution are basic and just involved dumping a file or two into the install, Java Minecraft Mods are handled within PolyMC, OG FF7 Reunion needs a bit of fuckery using Protontricks.

For more involved stuff, Steam Tinker Launch has options to install and run Vortex for a particular game, which should cover Witcher.

Mine arrived at lunch time today, instead of trying any of the dozens of unplayed games I've got, I've spent the afternoon on Stardew Valley, a game I must have over 1000hours playtime on across Switch, iOS & Xbox. 

Great bit of kit though, I had been thinking I'd end up getting rid of it, but pretty sure its a keeper.

7 minutes ago, rumbletum said:

Mine arrived at lunch time today, instead of trying any of the dozens of unplayed games I've got, I've spent the afternoon on Stardew Valley, a game I must have over 1000hours playtime on across Switch, iOS & Xbox. 

Great bit of kit though, I had been thinking I'd end up getting rid of it, but pretty sure its a keeper.

same

Not sure if anyone else here has tried it but Ryse is astonishing on the deck. It's 9 years old, for sure, but it was always technically impressive for the time and runs flawlessly at 60fps at largely Normal detail settings (make sure you turn off the frame lock in game as it's set to 30 by default). It's also not a bad game, the production values are sky high and the combat is brutal and kinetic (it's no Elden Ring for sure, but it's still good). Absolutely a technical showpiece for the Deck - still very. very pretty. 

Although the scoreboards are now broken, Geometry Wars 3 is great and I've had a lot of fun with Monster Train, Sunset Overdrive (both listed as not working, but work fine) and Detroit. 

I'd recommend scouring the cheap key bins on CD Keys as there's a lot of Deck games going on there for peanuts. 

4 hours ago, rumbletum said:

Playing Stardew Valley for the first time this last week since getting my Deck.  It’s been in my library forever but feel the Deck was built for games like this.

when I first saw it I thought the screen was going to be huge. but actually it is just a small rectangle in the middle of what I initially thought the screen was.

13 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

Mine turned up this morning. Question - I'm finding bringing up the onscreen keyboard hit and miss in the desktop OS (It's fine in Steam OS). WHY.

Because it's the desktop. Wayland is susceptible to not really figuring out how to prioritise the keyboard - SteamOS (well, Gamescope to be more precise, which is a Wayland compositor) manages windowed applications and overlays more smartly because it's also monitoring other shit.

I'd recommend changing the desktop control scheme anyway to actually use the back paddles in addition to anything else - I think I've got the entire deck mapped as an Xinput controller, with the pads working as mouse and scroll wheel, and back paddles being mouse side buttons, middle click and Show Keyboard so there's a physical toggle somewhere instead of wondering if the desktop has even recognised the macro.

Got itch working so that’s Luck be a Landlord sorted.

Can’t figure out how to get Windows games on itch working though. I think I need to transfer them from a Windows PC.

12 minutes ago, deKay said:

Got itch working so that’s Luck be a Landlord sorted.

Can’t figure out how to get Windows games on itch working though. I think I need to transfer them from a Windows PC.

With Itch, it's kind of a pain in the arse because it insists on downloading the Linux client when you're on Linux, and then proceeding to insist on using regular-ass wine for everything. It's an honest crack at making a Linux-dedicated client, but it hasn't taken into account the latest shit that's happened on the platform and now it's just plain annoying.

I think you might be better off downloading the itch Windows client (from a Windows computer or a mobile phone, because the website nags at you for trying anything different on Linux), and installing and playing games via the Windows Client through Proton. It's very backwards, but it's possible to get it going via the official app if you didn't want to go with downloading from the website or via Lutris (the latter of which I wouldn't recommend ATM, really).

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK