Jump to content
IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK


QuackQuack
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

 

Seems a lot for shadercache and compatdata. 

 

Go into desktop mode and see if you can see where the space is being taken up. 

 

Wait... Have you got any non Steam games? That would show as 'other' 

There were a whole of compatdata files for games that were supposed to not be installed anymore because I couldn't get them to run properly or not at all, Battlefield 3, Evil Dead for example. Driver San Francisco was there twice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

 

It's not the end of the world, I was just buzzing for today and now I'm waiting and don't know what day for.

Oh indeed, was just comparing notes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Danster said:

Oh indeed, was just comparing notes.

 

Yeah, at least it not just me, even though I'd prefer we both had them right now. Hopefully we both get them by Wednesday the latest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Bonzai1888 said:

There were a whole of compatdata files for games that were supposed to not be installed anymore because I couldn't get them to run properly or not at all, Battlefield 3, Evil Dead for example. Driver San Francisco was there twice.

 

Yeah, that sounds about right - when you're removing non-Steam games, you're just removing them from the library, it doesn't do any uninstalling (because all steam assumes it's doing is installing the side files like any normal Steam game, not the actual game).

 

Just delete the files (providing you don't care about the game saves), they're effectively self-contained in those folders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For me if this is a chance to play a) those unique indies that never make it to console and b) boomer shooters then I’ll enjoy every second with it. 
 

Playing Prodeus at the minute and it’s absolutely fantastic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

If I got a Steam Deck, I think I'd use it most whilst sat in my Tesla looking out over the Pembrokeshire coast and sipping on Lyre Italian Orange as the sun sets, before heading home to Natalie Portman who would gently rap me to sleep.

 

Anne Hathaway is the better singer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

If I got a Steam Deck, I think I'd use it most whilst sat in my Tesla looking out over the Pembrokeshire coast and sipping on Lyre Italian Orange as the sun sets, before heading home to Natalie Portman who would gently rap me to sleep.

 

I'm very angry at this post.

 

Spoiler

It doesn't mention paying for her dry cleaning.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Great… looks like my Steam Deck notification got filtered into my junk Mail, and now Steam have cancelled my day one pre order and refunded my deposit….. 🤬

 

Is there anyway to get this back? Or is that it?

 

Contact support and explain the situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

If I got a Steam Deck, I think I'd use it most whilst sat in my Tesla looking out over the Pembrokeshire coast and sipping on Lyre Italian Orange as the sun sets, before heading home to Natalie Portman who would gently rap me to sleep.

 

Steam's apparently coming to Teslas, at least the ones with AMD chipsets.  The work Valve's done on SteamOS/Proton for the Deck means it shouldn't be too hard to implement.

 

It should mean you can game on your Tesla, while overlooking the Pembrokeshire coast and save your Deck's battery for playing Elden Ring in bed while Portman raps you to sleep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some game research so far....

 

Elden Ring, choppy and unplayable above 30. Only barely playable at it. Looks pretty poor. Text is far too small. This is the biggest disappointment so far. To the level where I think I must be doing something wrong as people rave about it. But how can it be built with the Deck in mind and have the UI it has?

 

Titanfall 2 runs extremely well and looks good. Surprisingly good fit on deck. Also the performance in Apex is great though I'm not sure I'd try to play anything other than casual modes on it.

 

Fallout New Vegas is the best fit so far. 60 with everything at Ultra. Looks good and also doesn't seem to thrash the battery life.

 

Death Stranding, sort of stable 40. Doesn't really translate to the smaller screen as an experience. Also exposes the screen a little bit in terms of fidelity.

 

Dishonored, pretty good and smooth. Dishonored 2 runs well but text is illegible. Which is a shame. 

 

Tomb Raider (first Crystal Dynamics one) choppy intro but gameplay is very good and it works well on the screen.

 

Roguebook, a good fit for the deck. But then Slay the Spire style games always work well on portables.

 

It is of course roasting, even in my seaside villa with the servants fanning me, but I am disappointed in the heat issues it has. The fan is loud and it quickly has trouble dispelling heat on any demanding title. Also the thumbsticks and sides aren't really very grippy with sweaty hands. It is going to be a case of dialling back expectations I think.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/07/2022 at 10:59, simms said:

I was going to ask the same thing although its hasn't been a week as I paid on Thursday and shipping status says 'shipping soon'

 

I know no one cares but 1147726379_2022-07-19(2).png.ae6a6c1610eecd50339f891c64b60c17.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Had my email last night for the 512gb version, really wasn't expecting it as I didn't pre-order until the day after they went live. Still not 100% whether I want, but I'm beginning to convince myself now 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bear said:

Bradigor linked to this bundle for Deck verified games a while ago but its ending soon so I'm just reposting it as a reminder. 

 

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-play-on-the-go-bundle?v=4098

 

Get Murder by Numbers if you like Picross and Phoenix Wright.

 

 

If you don't like either then you're clearly a wrong'un so go fuck yourself. 

 

Nice, ty.

 

I've already spent a tenner today - Panzer Dragoon is currently £1.90 or something daft, and while trying to find it in the specials tab I saw that Resident Evil Remake and Zero HD were also on a bundle deal :facepalm:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, bear said:

Bradigor linked to this bundle for Deck verified games a while ago but its ending soon so I'm just reposting it as a reminder. 

 

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-play-on-the-go-bundle?v=4098

 

Get Murder by Numbers if you like Picross and Phoenix Wright.

 

 

If you don't like either then you're clearly a wrong'un so go fuck yourself. 

 

Anything else recommended from the choices?  I don't know anything about any of them

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rumbletum said:

 

Anything else recommended from the choices?  I don't know anything about any of them

 

 

I haven't tried The Sexy Brutale but its high on my to-do list so I'd say that and Yoku. 

 

 

Shadow Tactics is meant to be excellent but I'm not sure about playing it on a smaller screen like the Deck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, cavalcade said:

Elden Ring, choppy and unplayable above 30. Only barely playable at it. Looks pretty poor. Text is far too small. This is the biggest disappointment so far. To the level where I think I must be doing something wrong as people rave about it. But how can it be built with the Deck in mind and have the UI it has?

 

Nothing is going to have been built with the Deck in mind at this point, and Elden Ring hasn't been released on any dedicated handheld platforms. You're playing games designed for a for home consoles and desktop PCs, so their suitability will vary as a result. Steam does a good job of warning you of stuff like small text though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Mogster said:

 

Nothing is going to have been built with the Deck in mind at this point, and Elden Ring hasn't been released on any dedicated handheld platforms. You're playing games designed for a for home consoles and desktop PCs, so their suitability will vary as a result. Steam does a good job of warning you of stuff like small text though.

 

Well, sorry, yes "built in mind" is probably a stretch, Valve worked to improve its performance and it is often seen as a good fit for the deck in terms of general marketing of the system. But it's one of the worst games I've tried on the system, which is disappointing. 

 

And yes, I do understand how PC gaming works. I've been playing with PCs since about 1984. All PCs are a compromise somewhere; it's the price you pay for flexibility. I just think the Deck has far too many compromises and shortcomings in areas that should be its core strengths. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bear said:

I haven't tried The Sexy Brutale but its high on my to-do list so I'd say that and Yoku. 

 

I played through The Sexy Brutale on Switch and loved it, despite the dogshit performance on that console. I imagine it'd be pretty decent on the Deck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cavalcade said:

 

Well, sorry, yes "built in mind" is probably a stretch, Valve worked to improve its performance and it is often seen as a good fit for the deck in terms of general marketing of the system. But it's one of the worst games I've tried on the system, which is disappointing. 

 

And yes, I do understand how PC gaming works. I've been playing with PCs since about 1984. All PCs are a compromise somewhere; it's the price you pay for flexibility. I just think the Deck has far too many compromises and shortcomings in areas that should be its core strengths. 

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I thought you'd mistaken "Great on Deck" for to mean games specifically built for it or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whenever I get anything new a shiny I like to keep it in excellent condition plus I’m going away this weekend so the Steam Deck if it arrives before the weekend id like to get a protective case to mitigate against accidental drops and my nephews sticky hands. I pre-ordered this protective case but it is still in production (it will have a kickstand built in)

 

https://dbrand.com/killswitch

 

in the meantime I may just order one from Amazon.  Any suggestions?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stray performs pretty well. The opening section chugs as there's a lot on screen, but after that it evens out. 

 

There's chugging when loading sections in, maybe also shader caching, generally fine though. Visual settings seem to make zero difference to performance. I have them all on High. 

 

Unlocked the framerate in-game, set the refresh to 40hz and put FSR on in Steam and set the in-game resolution scale to 60%. A little shimmery but otherwise fine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.