IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

20 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Not that it is a huge deal, but anybody else notice achievements being a bit messed up?

Playing Steam games on Steam, I find that I don't get achievements unlocking as I play, then once a day or so I will get loads unlock at once.

I always figured it was something to do with how I was playing it - I usually play on a lunch break when I cba to hook it up to an online connection, and then when I play it in the evening it pops the achievements when I sync to my online profile.

The email I've been dreading has come through... the one telling me my pre-order is ready to be paid ha ha!

I'm torn on this one. It looks like a fantastic bit of kit, but I really don't need another gaming system. And I would never dive into it to the extent that a lot of you are in this topic, having a play around with the innards and modding it to increase its scope (which I guess is a significant part of what it can offer). I'd essentially be using it for my Steam collection, and potentially for cloud Game Pass.

2 hours ago, Pixelated Ben said:

The email I've been dreading has come through... the one telling me my pre-order is ready to be paid ha ha!

I'm torn on this one. It looks like a fantastic bit of kit, but I really don't need another gaming system. And I would never dive into it to the extent that a lot of you are in this topic, having a play around with the innards and modding it to increase its scope (which I guess is a significant part of what it can offer). I'd essentially be using it for my Steam collection, and potentially for cloud Game Pass.

I just posted this in a retro thread, but I got Steam Link working on an android handheld (Ayn Odin) and I'm surprised how well my 8-9 year old PC is holding up playing games to a level Steam Deck can since you can whack the resolution right down and you'd need to squint hard to miss some high gfx settings. The quality of streaming over wifi is really good (way better than xCloud) if the PC isn't using all it's performance to run the game. If anything, it might look a bit better as the screen has a higher res than Steam Deck. 

Obviously I'd love a Steam Deck too but since I was probably never going to have the bottle to play expensive equipment outside of the house... this is saving me a fortune. Maybe all you really need is controller for your phone? (and maybe nick someone's old PC if you haven't got one)

5 hours ago, Pixelated Ben said:

5 hours ago, jonamok said:

That last one is a system seller on its own.

It's in the name, after all.

For all the huffing and puffing about emulators, the Steam Deck is a handheld computer, made by the creators of Steam, and bought on Steam, to play the computer games you own... on Steam. In the prospect that you'll buy more games on Steam.

And it's working pretty well, to be fair.

My son got an email from Valve telling him his preorder had been cancelled and refunding him the deposit. He was due this quarter.

I suspect he missed the email telling him it was ready to pre-order, but he insists he didn't.

Anybody heard of pre-orders being randomly cancelled or do people suspect like me he screwed up and missed the email ?

22 minutes ago, jonamok said:

But how to crank it? Maybe thumbstick in a circle?

That's the default mapping, yes. I don't believe this is a native app, so it might be a bit awkward to map to the trackpad, but we'll see when other people get their hands on it.

9 minutes ago, Gotters said:

My son got an email from Valve telling him his preorder had been cancelled and refunding him the deposit. He was due this quarter.

I suspect he missed the email telling him it was ready to pre-order, but he insists he didn't.

Anybody heard of pre-orders being randomly cancelled or do people suspect like me he screwed up and missed the email ?

He probably missed it. Just tell him to contact support and say he was away for whatever reason and came back to this email, they'll probably honour it and give him the reservation back.

I checked out Death Stranding on the Deck today, played via Heroic as I already had the game on the Epic store. I was actually a bit disappointed at first, as I couldn't seem to hit a stable 40fps and I didn't really fancy playing at 30. Turning on the game's FSR1 did the job, but also turned it into a shimmery mess.

Then I remembered the Deck's built in FSR2 option. :D

40fps is a doddle now, and the game still looks great. I never finished it on PS4, but it's another title that will be great to have on a handheld to pick up here and there.

9 hours ago, Mogster said:

Then I remembered the Deck's built in FSR2 option. :D

Sorry to be a spoilsport - there is no built-in FSR 2.0 option. The SteamOS global scaling solution still FSR 1.0.

For FSR 2.0 to work, like DLSS, it requires motion data from the game to figure out what's next and upscale it accordingly with AI, basically.

What you can do now, which is a recent revelation in the scene, is swapping certain implementations of DLSS with FSR 2.0 as a mod to the game - it's quite involved and requires some (fake, when it comes to Linux/Deck) Windows registry changes with each game, but it's a fairly clever way to retrofit games with decent upscaling for AMD stuff.

It was originally for Dying Light 2, but there's similar mods for Cyberpunk, Red Dead 2 and Horizon: Zero Dawn to name a few. And, looping back, that includes Death Stranding as well.

6 minutes ago, Siri said:

Sorry to be a spoilsport - there is no built-in FSR 2.0 option. The SteamOS global scaling solution still FSR 1.0.

For FSR 2.0 to work, like DLSS, it requires motion data from the game to figure out what's next and upscale it accordingly with AI, basically.

What you can do now, which is a recent revelation in the scene, is swapping certain implementations of DLSS with FSR 2.0 as a mod to the game - it's quite involved and requires some (fake, when it comes to Linux/Deck) Windows registry changes with each game, but it's a fairly clever way to retrofit games with decent upscaling for AMD stuff.

It was originally for Dying Light 2, but there's similar mods for Cyberpunk, Red Dead 2 and Horizon: Zero Dawn to name a few. And, looping back, that includes Death Stranding as well.

Ah. I must have got my wires crossed, but nevertheless the Steam Deck system level option looks a heck of a lot better than Death Stranding's own implementation.

Spent a bit of time on Friday setting up Emudeck, then fannied about for a while exploring ways to transfer files over.

And then after I got it working for a couple of games, I recognised I'd been down this sort of path before. It's a long path leading to a town that sounds perfect, but on arrival there's just so much to do that I'd be overwhelmed.

So fuck that. I reset the Deck, and decided I'll just play Steam games on it for a while. Sank some time into Fez. I don't believe that game will ever age, it's as beautiful and magical* as it was on release a decade ago. 

*Magic may be distorted on the toilet.

I spent some time yesterday putting windows on it so I could try Valorant. It was pretty easy to set it up to dual boot, but I felt like a hacker! It runs smoothly too. 

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Spent a bit of time on Friday setting up Emudeck, then fannied about for a while exploring ways to transfer files over.

And then after I got it working for a couple of games, I recognised I'd been down this sort of path before. It's a long path leading to a town that sounds perfect, but on arrival it's there's just so much to do that I'd be overwhelmed.

So fuck that. I reset the Deck, and decided I'll just play Steam games on it for a while. Sank some time into Fez. I don't believe that game will ever age, it's as beautiful and magical* as it was on release a decade ago. 

*Magic may be distorted on the toilet.

I eventually settled on using syncthing. You still have to fanny about moving files from the sync folder on the deck to the rom folder in emulation, but it was the best solution I could find. Ended up with the entire snes, md, gba, neo geo and n64 library, plus curated dolphin, ps1 and Dreamcast libraries. I’m done with messing about with it now. 

How do all get ROMs? I don’t want links or anything, I’m just interested whether you just yarr them, or actually rip your own game discs/carts, or a combination? Zero judgement, just interested.

I got a 512gb Sandisk ultra card (thanks for the Amazon heads up @Mogster) and am in the process of transferring FF7 remake across to it. It’s a 90gb file but it’s taking ages. Like 10 minutes so far and barely at 15% done.

Is this normal? I’m assuming the card is legit as it came from amazon.

42 minutes ago, jonamok said:

How do all get ROMs? I don’t want links or anything, I’m just interested whether you just yarr them, or actually rip your own game discs/carts, or a combination? Zero judgement, just interested.

A combination for me, personally. A lot of videogame collections you can buy (or get for free via Amazon) online are basically the ROMs with a front-end stuck on it anyway. The NeoGeo games literally have zip files of the MVS game and the NeoGeo bios in the file system, Megadrive, Konami, Namco and Atari collections can all be extracted with tools, I believe the Capcom games can be extracted as well but with something else.

Obviously, Hacked Retro Consoles are a good source of ROMs too.

I've got a couple of hardware ways to rip GBA/DS/3DS and SNES carts, and I've already ripped a few PS2 games and most of my GameCube games.

But mostly, the games I actually play on the Deck are modern fan translations of games that are long gone out of the market, so that's usually a trip through the internet with an eyepatch on.

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

I got a 512gb Sandisk ultra card (thanks for the Amazon heads up @Mogster) and am in the process of transferring FF7 remake across to it. It’s a 90gb file but it’s taking ages. Like 10 minutes so far and barely at 15% done.

Is this normal? I’m assuming the card is legit as it came from amazon.

Yeah, it's normal. I did the same thing for FF7R, it took a good hour or two.

BTW, I hope you have the same amount of space free - I found it needed it to recognise the game, and I had to shuffle the fridge drastically to get there in the end.

19 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Shuffle the fridge?

Yes.

I had like 100gb of free space on my Deck, and about 50gb space on my SD card. I needed another 50gb of space to get Steam to recognise the game for some reason after moving it onto the card in the first place, so I had to move/delete 50gb of stuff on the card to do that. This is all on top of the 100gb the game is already taking up on the card.

I magically got that 100gb 'back' once the game started, mind.

Oh crumbs, I misread your original post - I did the original move from a Linux desktop to my existing deck SD card, I didn't realise you've already got it downloaded and set up on the deck already. Ignore the shuffling bullshit I did.

Anyway, yeah, it takes ages still, and you're stuck with keeping it on until then. It's why I downloaded and did the move on a desktop before I got tripped up on the drive space.

This is my Deck. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Deck is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

image.png.d7fcca6850ec17da86c5bb95444bae9a.png

Revisited Space Giraffe on the Deck and it works beautifully- full controller support (as you'd expect) and it looks pin-sharp. Just had my headphones cranked to maximum while playing and turned the music up in the options, it was heaven.

I didn't even realise Space Giraffe was on Steam. I always thought it would be one of those Live Arcade games that would ultimately end up lost to time, like Harmony of Despair and Moon Diver.

At least they're on PSN and should be reasonably easy to brute force via RPCS3. And, even better, there's a native Steam port of Mount Your Friends, so videogames are saved forever

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK