IGNORED

Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK

QuackQuack

35 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Why? The 4 hours until your turn means 4 hours worth of orders to be processed before it's your turn.

Unless I'm missing something.

Yes, I know.

Which means at the rate it's going, I'll hit 100% by Monday.

3 minutes ago, deKay said:

Yes, I know.

Which means at the rate it's going, I'll hit 100% by Monday.

Okay so just confusing the situation for others. I'll leave you to it.

(Again unless there's some maths that actually works here).

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I've probably asked this before, but is anyone here just using it for Steam games, without any of the tinkering? Are you actually playing games on it properly, or just endlessly sampling stuff to see what does and doesn't work? Has anyone found the novelty has worn off yet?

If you want it to be a Switch-like console experience, it's already that out of the box. Steam shows you which games you already have in your library that are "Great On Deck" and there's a "Great On Deck" section in the Steam store too. You can stick to this and have a great, console-like experience with no tinkering involved whatsoever.

After that, you've got "Playable" games. These will also all work with no tinkering - generally they end up listed like this because "the text is a bit small", "you'll occasionally need the on-screen keyboard", "the game has a launcher you'll need to navigate with the touchscreen", etc.

Even some of the "unsupported" games I've tried work with minimal buggering about.

So far, I've played Resident Evil 3 Remake from start-to-finish on it, have played an enormous amount of Card Shark and Vampire Survivors, and play Elite Dangerous on an almost nightly basis. I did start a new playthrough of Red Dead Redemption 2 on it, but that currently has a bug where it crashes after around 30 mins (Steam OS 3.3 is meant to fix this).

The thing is though, the Steam Deck is ultimately a tiny Linux PC with a console-like front end on top. So if you want to get tinkering, you can. Plenty of people already jailbreak consoles so they can stick emulators and homebrew on them - this is just that, but without any need to hack the thing first.

5 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Okay so just confusing the situation for others. I'll leave you to it.

(Again unless there's some maths that actually works here).

Yes, there is. That’s the point of that site. There’s even a graph if you want to extrapolate.

14B67B65-5BB6-4033-AAAC-3C546615AE36.jpeg.5e6a11af2dcd795361bb8df2b79d6428.jpeg

It went from 35.65 to 72.4% in 4 days. Next update is Thursday. From the graph you can see it’s going to be likely 100 then, or very soon after, hence Monday (it only updates Thu and Mon).

Thanks for the replies, all.

The cost of the 512GB one is still a big hurdle for me. Does anyone with the 64GB or 256GB ones feel like that's not enough storage? I'm thinking of maybe doing a swap for a smaller model, plus the cash to make up the difference...

Edit: No, no, no - I don't fucking need it. Honestly, what's the matter with me. I'm going to sell it.

7 minutes ago, deKay said:

Yes, there is. That’s the point of that site. There’s even a graph if you want to extrapolate.

14B67B65-5BB6-4033-AAAC-3C546615AE36.jpeg.5e6a11af2dcd795361bb8df2b79d6428.jpeg

It went from 35.65 to 72.4% in 4 days. Next update is Thursday. From the graph you can see it’s going to be likely 100 then, or very soon after, hence Monday (it only updates Thu and Mon).

Okay great. I didn't have a link to the site to see the data. Thank you for the explanation and context which others can now actually use to get excited.

Just now, thesnwmn said:

Okay great. I didn't have a link to the site to see the data. Thank you for the explanation and context which others can now actually use to get excited.

That graph is specific to me, so only of use to me. Otherwise I'd have posted it.

29 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

The cost of the 512GB one is still a big hurdle for me. Does anyone with the 64GB or 256GB ones feel like that's not enough storage? I'm thinking of maybe doing a swap for a smaller model, plus the cash to make up the difference...

Edit: No, no, no - I don't fucking need it. Honestly, what's the matter with me. I'm going to sell it.

I have a 512GB and it’s not enough storage.

45 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

You’ll change your mind after you use it, worth every penny.

25 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I have a 512GB and it’s not enough storage.

It really depends on how many games you want on the go though, and what those games are. You could fit an awful lot of little indie games on 512GB of storage, or a handful of big games. As long as you uninstall games you've finished with it's probably enough for a lot of people.

I'd get an SD card no matter what though. In fact I'd get that 1TB SanDisk Ultra on sale if I didn't already have a 512GB one.

Yeah, I thought it was a bit pricey (mine's the 512GB one) and that I'd almost certainly sell it on, but a few weeks on and I can't imagine parting with it. My Switch has been gathering dust ever since the Deck arrived.

"Unsupported" but playing very nicely so far. I'd love to be able to show this to myself from twenty years ago. Just ordered a 1TB card to use for ROMs as well.

shenmue-deck.jpg.a01e50bf6037eb6aa9bbe6919a3508ee.jpg

6 hours ago, bradigor said:

Thanks, I'll have a look at that one too. There's a sea of them out there but reading Amazon reviews about some of the Anker ones frying MacBooks gave me pause for thought and made me seek good word of mouth.

Hmmm, my AnyDesk app has stopped working on the Steam Deck for some reason. Tried removing it, retarting, shutting down. But no luck. 

Is anyone else having issues?

6 hours ago, Mogster said:

It's faster, yes. It's not "needed" though, and how much of an effect it has will depend on what you're playing. The regular Extreme seemed to be the best option for the Deck, which is positioned in between the two, but annoyingly it's not on offer. I've been informed that there is only a negligible difference between the Ultra and Extreme on the Deck in general use though, so just went for an Ultra myself.

Personally I'm using the SSD for everything at the moment, but would shunt games I'm playing less, or are simply less demanding onto the SD card. 

Bearing in mind I’m playing AAA or AA titles - well, the more demanding stuff anyway - will the cheaper one suffice or should I go for the Pro?

Am I right in thinking, apart from the workaround to access cloud titles, that there is no way to access Gamepass games on the Deck?

What will I have to play! (Steam library of 505 titles....)

Just now, cavalcade said:

Am I right in thinking, apart from the workaround to access cloud titles, that there is no way to access Gamepass games on the Deck?

You can install Windows on it.

3 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

Not tried it myself,. but Lutris 'might' work soon. 

https://lutris.net/games/xbox-game-pass/

40 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Bearing in mind I’m playing AAA or AA titles - well, the more demanding stuff anyway - will the cheaper one suffice or should I go for the Pro?

The Ultra will be absolutely fine. 

RPS ran a comparison article a while ago which awarded the Ultra the "best cheap" option, and if you look at their test results there's really not much in it between their more expensive alternatives. 

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/best-microsd-cards-for-steam-deck

I think there's probably more of a difference in write speeds than load speeds, but that's more of an issue for cameras than this sort of thing.

Has anyone got windows to dual boot? I’m trying to find guides and some seem to have done it, some say wait for the OS 3, others same ready now and some say you need 3 USBs. 

Would this be ok for hooking the steamdeck up to a 4k and transfering files from micro SD, seems a good deal? 

Has anyone tried playing games on TV through the deck?

It's mainly to play PES and older emulated games but I'm worried they will look like shit as I'm not sure how resolution works when you are on a 4k telly. 

Edit: Nevermind, seems it only outputs at 30hz. Need that 60hz

Screenshot_2022-07-12-20-10-09-374_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

Screenshot_2022-07-12-20-09-53-602_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

According to the prediction sites, I’m 5.1% of the way to portable Out Run 2. That may not seem exciting, but it’s OUT RUN 2. Portable. Or on my telly. Or on the bog. 

Out. 

Run. 

:wub: 

Just now, bradigor said:

Trying to install Dead Space 2 via Origin to test things out... oof. They could do with streamlining that process. 

You could just play Out Run 2. I know you have it installed ;) 

I have never played Out Run 2 before, but loved the original. I feel like I am missing oot. 

Also, my only major gripe...

SWEATIEST HANDS EVER. Fucking stupid summer. All these people... I wish it was summer... UK weather is shite. Flipping shitters. Our cat is miserable, got our fan pointed at her trying to make her better bless her little socks. My hands feel like they are gonna put me close to lethal dehydration. 

Bring on sub 10 Celsius temperatures!!!!!

How does it disable the touch pads? I noticed while doing some desktop configurations for button bindings that it somehow stops the right touch pad from being pressed? At first I thought it had broken as it just feels like it has collapsed or something. Does it have some kind of electronic button instead of your usual little rubber clicky things that you find under controller buttons?

11 minutes ago, SteveH said:

How does it disable the touch pads? I noticed while doing some desktop configurations for button bindings that it somehow stops the right touch pad from being pressed? At first I thought it had broken as it just feels like it has collapsed or something. Does it have some kind of electronic button instead of your usual little rubber clicky things that you find under controller buttons?

I assumed it was all done with haptic feedback rather than a button of any kind.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Steam Deck (handheld from Valve) - shipping is 4-8 days from NL to UK