$1.5 million for a single videogame (modern day auctions)

Sketch

This was discussed, to an extent, last year over in retro, when I managed to snag almost £2k for a sealed Pokemon Edition Gameboy Colour.

Do I regret selling it?

Well thankfully, my 65 inch TV, PS5 and Xbox Series X, plus a couple of games have kept me entertained enough to forget about it.

On the other hand, perhaps that could have been the next 1.2mill if I'd only stuck it in some tupperware!

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I've got a sealed Japanese copy of Chrono Trigger on the SNES @strider, which one do you think is worth more? Mine is in pristine condition. Am I rich?

wow man

that's super valuable Bob, if it was the Usa version you'd have diamond teeth

57 minutes ago, Dave White said:

wow man

that's super valuable Bob, if it was the Usa version you'd have diamond teeth

It's not as valuable as my complete and unscratched mint big box copy of Earthbound for the SNES :)

Never going to sell it though so it's just theoretical money

3 hours ago, phillv85 said:

I've got a bridge you could buy....

Are you Tom Nook?

There's an entire forum for people who collect sealed games, I remember a guy called Gemini Phoenix on the GamesTM forums used to go on about being a collector all the time

Their website is absolutely hilarious. This is the grading system for games, explained:

https://www.watagames.com/what-we-do/wata-scale

There are examples of each rating on the scale, so you can see what they consider a 0.5 rated game, which is basically a torn manual and a cartridge that's cracked open. I'm just imagining someone paying $80 and waiting three months to receive their cracked, unboxed cartridge in its special sealed coffin, proudly displaying the 0.5 rating at the top, ready to go into the display cabinet alongside the Luke Skywalker action figure with one arm and the Pokemon card that's been roached.

This has to be some kind of scam. It's a bit of a coincidence that the records for most expensive games ever sold were broken two days apart, and that all this attendant publicity has arrived right at the peak of the pandemic-fuelled interest in NFTs and collectibles of all kinds.

I have a large box of sealed Shin Megami Tensei stuff including persona. Pretty much a full collection, bar Persona 1, that I could never find sealed. It’s all skyrocketed and I’m tempted to cash it in but I wonder if it just keeps going up. I need the money though as have just moved house and need to do a million things to it.

1 hour ago, K said:

This has to be some kind of scam. It's a bit of a coincidence that the records for most expensive games ever sold were broken two days apart, and that all this attendant publicity has arrived right at the peak of the pandemic-fuelled interest in NFTs and collectibles of all kinds.

I've not seen it confirmed but I believe the Zelda one was paid in crypto.

So it's money laundering most likely.

I think with some of these emerging markets that are starting to creep into the world of more traditional Investments and auctions they are absolutely prime for scams and diddles. I was reading several breathless and unquestioning articles a few weeks ago about the most expensive record ever sold on Discogs. It cost about £30,000 but wasn't a hermitically sealed gatefold copy of Pope John Paul II's ill advised narco-rap LP or anything, but a terrible breakcore track from a few years ago that no-one cared about. Really all that's happened is the artist has bought it themselves and for the £200 cost in fees had the most talked about record on earth for a bit and is the proud owner of the most 'valuable' album in existence. It seems mad that anyone can take these things seriously when the prices are so easily manipulated.

52 minutes ago, erhgiez said:

I have a large box of sealed Shin Megami Tensei stuff including persona. Pretty much a full collection, bar Persona 1, that I could never find sealed. It’s all skyrocketed and I’m tempted to cash it in but I wonder if it just keeps going up. I need the money though as have just moved house and need to do a million things to it.

If you need the money, sell up.

As someone with a slight interest in old school yugioh card collecting these grading systems are a bit suspect.

So PSA are the big company for grading trading cards and their website actively tracks the population of a graded card.

So for example, if you want to know how many times they have given a Grade 10 to a yugioh 1st edition LOB-001 Blue-Eyes White Dragon you will be able to find such information on the website.

That seems all well and good but then you start to look deeper and the problems begin to spring up.

To start, PSA do not give a detailed grading criteria. If your card looks like a 10 but got a 9 they will not tell you why it got a 9. This has always been a problem with their system but the TCG collector boom during the pandemic has really exposed the weakness in this system.

So PSA knows what the population of a card is, they are also aware of the market value of these cards and the demand for card grading, as such they have massively increased heir prices in accordance.
There is now an argument to be made that it is in PSA’s best interest to keep the value of grade 10 cards high. Many in the collector community have noted that PSA have become significantly stricter with their grading over the last year and many are accusing them of purposely keeping the population of grade 10 cards low.

In the past collectors would break open their grade 9 slabs and resubmit the cards for grading, but with the pricing now being so high doing that simply isn’t feasible.

This lack of transparency has led to a situation where we now have dozens of rare grade 9 cards that are potentially in better condition than some 10’s which were graded years ago. You’d think with the collector boom and increased submission numbers (PSA had to close shop for a while due to backlog) that the population of 10’s would see a massive increase but that simply is not happening. 

The grading market has always been dubious which is why I’ll only ever look at it from a distance. If video game grading ever takes off in the mainstream (god forbid) then be prepared to see more of the same.

It's also the fact anyone recognises any grading company as any sort of authority at all.

They are no more than a chap with a pile of boxes, their number means no more than a number I would put on a game.  And they charge a stratospheric amount to do so.

I used to have quite a lot of games but over the last 10 years or so, I sold a lot of them off (I do still have a fair bit) but I really like, for some reason, buying SFC games.

I have paid some money to get all these but they are all in near mint, complete condition - maybe they will be worth something one day! :D

image0.jpeg

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

It's also the fact anyone recognises any grading company as any sort of authority at all.

They are no more than a chap with a pile of boxes, their number means no more than a number I would put on a game.  And they charge a stratospheric amount to do so.

Well, they do already exist as a recognised grading infrastructure, and sufficient acceptance of that as a fact is all they need to confer additional value by grading stuff. So their number does have observable authority and value.

Your personal grade doesn’t confer any value.

Send it to me for additional ZOK+ grading (£1000 per item, return expected within 4-6 weeks) and I’ll let you know. It’s the only way to be sure.

Man this is freaking nuts the price of retro nowadays, it sort of reminds me during the 90s comic book craze. I remember my friend wanting to sell his SNES, and MD collection for £50 which I thought was nuts because it was all about the PS1 and Dreamcast. I know people who just threw their games away because they get older and were "adults" now. Surely this market is going to crash soon.

Plus I agree this whole WATA seems fishy from a mile off.

51 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Man this is freaking nuts the price of retro nowadays, it sort of reminds me during the 90s comic book craze. I remember my friend wanting to sell his SNES, and MD collection for £50 which I thought was nuts because it was all about the PS1 and Dreamcast. I know people who just threw their games away because they get older and were "adults" now. Surely this market is going to crash soon.

Plus I agree this whole WATA seems fishy from a mile off.

To be fair, in general the market is pretty much fine, it's just these stupid fictionally elevated "might not even be games" doing it.  If you want an N64 cart of Super Mario 64 it took me about 4 seconds to find one for twenty quid and that's one of the expensive systems to collect for.

The vast majority of Sega Master System games can be had for a tenner boxed and delivered on ebay. The worst a rarity gets for a UK game is £200-300 and that's some with really low print runs. (Championship Hockey in my picture is one of those, and the one with the original inlay if you were wondering).

It's be just like looking at an undriven Ferrari 250 going for £20 million and assuming the same of a 1984 Astra with 1 wing mirror.

5 hours ago, ridgeracer said:

I used to have quite a lot of games but over the last 10 years or so, I sold a lot of them off (I do still have a fair bit) but I really like, for some reason, buying SFC games.

I have paid some money to get all these but they are all in near mint, complete condition - maybe they will be worth something one day! :D

image0.jpeg

+3 billion points for owning the Parodius trilogy!

9 hours ago, scottcr said:

I'm banking on my PAL Chibi Robo and Big Box Four Swords funding my dotage

Chibi Robo and the official component video cable for me. Them Donkey Konga bongos I've been keeping are going to shoot up soon too I'm sure 💰

And this sealed must be worth at least a superyacht...

WOPXuFy.jpg