IGNORED

$1.5 million for a single videogame (modern day auctions)

Sketch

I know Marion 64 is retro, but this is a modern day event, so I thought the general discussion thread is beter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57804089

"A sealed copy of video game Super Mario 64 has sold at auction for more than $1.5m (£1.1m), shattering records."

It was sold via Heritage Auctions in Dallas, USA.

https://www.ha.com/

Thoughts?

Mainly I am starting this topic for suggestions on UK auction houses that might do similar. I only know of places like Sotheby's because films and TV mention them. Is there anywhere in the UK that would run such an auction for gaming items, that could garner international attention, and thus big bidders?

I have one single item which might be highly valuable, and I want to cash in while this inflated bubble exists, before it pops.

Does anyone else here have a rare item that would allow early retirement?

I think this whole thing is ridiculous. These rare item auctions are only going so high - I suspect - due to speculative investors. Interest rates are so low now, you're likely to make a better return on investments by buying these items and flipping them short term. Highly volatile, but the numbers are big enough to entice the brave with capital to spare. These are not being bought by rich gamers who are nostalgic for the past.

High end collecting of any nature will always be driven by scarcity and demand, games are just getting going really and of course you can play the same game for 'free' via an emulator and a rom but that is looking at it from a use perspective, not an asset of great scarcity.

It does sound a lot though for something so recent and sold in such large numbers, are boxed unopened copies of this THAT rare ?

I'm so cross with myself for the consoles I've given to charity or games I've stuck in a skip, really wish I'd put them all into storage boxes for some amazing games room I'd never use when I get older. 

Not quite gaming but do have a Nokia Arte 8800 phone I kept from years ago which is now a collectible I believe.

15 minutes ago, Gotters said:

High end collecting of any nature will always be driven by scarcity and demand, games are just getting going really and of course you can play the same game for 'free' via an emulator and a rom but that is looking at it from a use perspective, not an asset of great scarcity.

It does sound a lot though for something so recent and sold in such large numbers, are boxed unopened copies of this THAT rare ?

I'm so cross with myself for the consoles I've given to charity or games I've stuck in a skip, really wish I'd put them all into storage boxes for some amazing games room I'd never use when I get older. 

Not quite gaming but do have a Nokia Arte 8800 phone I kept from years ago which is now a collectible I believe.

I dug through some old stuff and sold Suikoden 2 and Paper Mario on the GameCube and they funded my PS5 with change left over.

Most of my stuff was basically worthless, though.

I've been selling off all my old games recently, which led to some surprises. Symphony of the Night went for over £300, which was nice, but then there were surprises like Chibi Robo on the Gamecube, which I had no idea was so sought after. Keeping all those GBA boxes in good condition turned out to be worthwhile as well. :D

I think those cardboard boxes will be a big deal as time goes on. I'm sure there are plenty of copies of Mario 64 around, but most will be lacking their boxes, and most of the remaining boxes are likely to be a crumpled mess. I can see why a sealed box would be worth a lot, even if prices like that seem a bit on the bonkers side.

27 minutes ago, Dave White said:

hindsight is a wonderful thing, I sold my neo geo aes stuff ages ago as it was taking up space. 

Could have got me to bleedin space now.

I know! I actually had a sealed Mario 64 myself. But it was Christmas and both myself and my brother wanted to play it, so there goes our early retirement. :(

I wonder what everyone's reaction would have been if I tried to suggest we leave it sealed for the next 25 years...

1 minute ago, Timmo said:

For some reason this all reminded me of when Game used to write all over their pre-owned games, boxes and manuals with permanent marker. That really should have resulted in prison sentences. 

Just imagine, if Ed Sheeran worked there one summer before he got big, his scrawl would make those games priceless.

8 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I’ve got GB Color Metal Gear Solid, but only have the instructions with it, not the box. 

Is £100K reasonable?

Incidentally the save file on this works fine - the battery must be like 20 years old, how do they manage this?

Someone on Bordersdown pointed out that WATA, the company which puts games in plastic boxes with ratings, is owned by Heritage Auctions which - surprise! - is always the same auction house with all these super expensive games in WATA plastic boxes.

Almost as if they're engineering it...

This is the site that sold that copy of Mario 64:

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=0+793+794+791+792+1893+1577+2088&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Nty=1&Ntt=playstation&limitTo=all&ic=homepage-search-A-K-071316

An extremely sorry selection of PS1 games on sale there. Quite why anyone would get their copy of Colin McRae Rally graded is beyond me, but I suppose people have got to launder money somehow. 

1 minute ago, Sketch said:

Someone on Bordersdown pointed out that WATA, the company which puts games in plastic boxes with ratings, is owned by Heritage Auctions which - surprise! - is always the same auction house with all these super expensive games in WATA plastic boxes.

Almost as if they're engineering it...

My god that's shocking! 

You mean Bordersdown is still going? 😉

1 minute ago, K said:

This is the site that sold that copy of Mario 64:

https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=0+793+794+791+792+1893+1577+2088&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Nty=1&Ntt=playstation&limitTo=all&ic=homepage-search-A-K-071316

An extremely sorry selection of PS1 games on sale there. Quite why anyone would get their copy of Colin McRae Rally graded is beyond me, but I suppose people have got to launder money somehow. 

How much is it to grade a game? I've always wondered what the difference between a 9.4 and 9.5 is say. 

It's not $1.5 million for a video game of course.  It's $1.5 million for a cardboard board of indeterminate origin in a bit of tupperware.

They've no idea if there's a game in there, the box could be from Etsy.

These "grading" companies are parasitic scum I wish harm upon.