What games do you want to replay that you've already completed?

Jamie John

In this age of Game Pass, PS Plus, perennial Steam sales and a handful of free games every month from various different sources, never before have gamers had more of an opportunity to play something new. At the same time, however, 60FPS updates, remasters, remakes and 'director's cuts' of older games are similarly vying for our attention, money and - most costly of all - our time. It often occurs to me, therefore, that the hallmark of a truly excellent game is one that you want to replay, even if it means eschewing the novelty of something you've never experienced before.

With that in mind, then, what are some games you've already finished that you nonetheless want to spend your time playing through again? I'm not talking about those 'comfort food' games here - old classics or endless games that you enjoy dipping in and out of every now and again. Rather, I'm referring to games that are so good you'd happily devote a significant portion of gaming time to re-completing in full.

I've got a few on my list:

The Last of Us: Part II

This was my game of 2020. Fuck the haters, I think it's brilliant. The 60FPS update on the PS5 means I've no excuse not to go back to this. Knowing how it all ends might make it a smidge less tense, but perhaps that'll make playing it easier on my blood pressure.

DIsco Elysium

I think this is a game that would really benefit from a second playthrough, especially now I understand the world more and where the story goes. The fully-voiced Final Cut is even more of an incentive to return to Elysium.

The Last Guardian

I did two back-to-back playthroughs of this when it came out, so it's testament to it's brilliance that I want to go back for a third run. Has this received a PS5 update yet? Trico might be a pain to control, but Ueda's art design and the sense of atmosphere he creates is unmatched.

Sekiro

Up until Cuphead, this was the hardest game I'd ever completed, so perhaps I'm a glutton for punishment but I'd love to go back to it again and maybe go for the platinum or one of the alternative endings. With Elden Ring looking distinctly more Dark Souls-y than Sekiro-inspired, I think we'll be waiting a long time for a sequel.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

It's been 4 years now since I rinsed this on the Wii U. I've since picked up the Switch version and was waiting out on a Switch Pro FPS update, but seeing as that doesn't seem forthcoming, I might as well just play it again before the sequel and see if it's still the best game ever made.

What games do you want to replay, rllmuk?

I’m going through FFVI (III) right now, having finished it for the first time last year. This is more than just replaying - as I’m grabbing footage for webby uploads this time - but I wanted to get to grips with certain tactics when I feel like I lucked out a little before. At least I’ll have video evidence this time! :) 

I guess I’d want to do a Persona 5 Royal NG+ run sometime, but considering how big that game is I don’t mind waiting. Especially with other new games on the horizon (Neo TWEWY)…

Disco Elysium and Death Stranding stick out at the moment. Death Stranding in particular really resonated with me back when it was launched, and the opportunity to play again in 4K, 120fps DLSS-o-vision is definitely something I want to do. Just waiting for it to hit a good sale price somewhere, and for the new directors cut to hit PC

100% this. Resi 4 is weirdly timeless, possibly because it was classic/outdated in its control on release. It just flows so well. Some proper pacing alchemy going on in that game. 

Fallout 3: I got all-but-one of the achievements on console (I can’t remember if it was 360 or PS3), I missed one on Mothership Zeta. I’d love to revisit it on PC with some graphical mods.

Wasteland 3: My favourite game of last year. There’s DLC out now so I want to start from the beginning again. Loved everything about this game!

Similar to yourself, Jamie. 

FF7R 

I waited for the PS5 patch to replay it but just can't quite summon the interest at the moment. It looks beautiful, it plays much better at 60fps, but the thought of the various longueurs is putting me off. I'm going to play the Yuffie DLC and see if that whets my appetite. If I race through on NG+ and ignore all the side quests, I expect I'll get the most out of it that way. 

TLOU2 

Again, I waited for the PS5 patch to replay this and it's another stunner. And yet again, it's the thought of some of the longueurs which puts me off. I've got about five or six hours into a replay and I enjoy it when I play but I don't think it's as tight as the first game which I did replay at some point in the last year. I'm also still in the light and fluffy stuff, really, and as much as I loved it, the game emotionally drained me. I couldn't have considered a replay for months and months. I might just run through it for the combat and the pretty pictures at 60fps, see how I feel about the story this time.

I'll post later about some older stuff I always think I'd like to replay. 

12 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Titanfall 2. I've played through it twice in the last year and I still want another bash.

It massively helps that it had about an eight hour runtime, so it's not much of a commitment.

Titanfall 2 became a lot less impressive for me as a shooting game when I realised you can basically run at full speed past all the encounters to the next checkpoint in most of the on foot bits. Probably fun to speedrun though. I imagine that was the point.

Halo: Combat Evolved though... Silent Cartographer was something that just got put on over and over again. Not even the whole campaign, just that level. It just never got boring.

Combat encounters in Halo CE really did feel like they were different every time you played it. You'd end up trying to go through Silent Cartographer with little personal goals on subsequent plays, like trying to complete the whole level without allowing any soldiers to get killed. Long before such things were gamified as Achievements taking all the special joy out of it.

Most often if it’s about returning to a game then it’s usually about playing something I enjoyed but far enough in the past that it has both nostalgic feels at the same time as a complete fresh perspective. It’s cool seeing things that you can’t remember or things that you completely forgot about but remembered only as you returned to a specific area of a game. 

Super Metroid was one of my favourite games to return to and Zelda was a decent experience too. These are on my SNES Mini and I’ve still got a few to go back and replay on there at some point. I’m planning on one day playing FF VI again and the Mario titles, however I fear I’ve lost interest in Mario. Tried to play Mario RPG on there for the first time and quickly lost interest after putting it down for a bit. DKC is something I’ve played more than once but haven’t fully played to completion since the 90’s and as that’s also on my Mini, I want to go back again. 

Definitely want to play Resident Evil 2 at some point as I’ve not been back to that since the 90’s and haven’t yet played the Remake either but would rather check the original out first. Also Silent Hill 1 would probably be something I’d be up for revisiting as I’ve only ever played it once when it first got released.

The thing about these games though is that they aren’t overly long, unlike a high number of JRPG’s I’ve played since pretty much after the ps1 era. Generally I enjoy playing older titles I’ve missed entirely and want to experience for the first time. This is even more prevalent since the PS5 has arrived. 

I really want to replay Ocarina of Time, but currently don't have any platforms or handhelds that I can get it on. :(

I'm impatientily waiting (and hoping) for a Switch re-release, with Majoras Mask as well please.

Katana ZERO. Played through it for the first time last year and it was astoundingly good. Like a delicious blend of Mark of the Ninja and Hotline Miami. Incredibly fast paced and responsive and I adored the tone of it; felt like playing something I was too young for on an older cousin's Amiga.

Perfect length for a game of its type, just a few hours and a host of modifiers to make speedruns or more challenging replays possible. Dunno why I haven't already replayed it now I think of it.

1 hour ago, Marlew said:

FF7R

This is one that I want to try again with now that it's had the PS5 update. I tried it for about ten hours last year but just couldn't get on with the fetch quests and voice acting. I also thought that while it was often a beautiful-looking game, playing on PS5 Pro, pop-in and muddy textures were rife. When I go back to it I think I'll mainline it and play it in Japanese.

53 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Titanfall 2

This is another one on my list to replay. I finished it on the PS4 years ago but didn't quite see what the fuss was about, so now it's on GP I want to give it another go.

I'd also like to give Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on the 3DS another run through. It was my favourite 3DS game and my favourite 2D Zelda.

7 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Id also like to give Zelda: A Link Between Worlds on the 3DS another run through. It was my favourite 3DS game and my favourite 2D Zelda.

Same , waiting for the 4k texture pack to be finished before playing it.

Played ocarina of time last year in 4k too, loved it! Was the first time I properly played it since 98/99.

Re4 , I've been playing at least once a year around Xmas for past 5 years.

7 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Same , waiting for the 4k texture pack to be finished before playing it.

This is through some kind of yarr-ware emulator, I take it?

1 hour ago, joffocakes said:

Katana ZERO. Played through it for the first time last year and it was astoundingly good. Like a delicious blend of Mark of the Ninja and Hotline Miami. Incredibly fast paced and responsive and I adored the tone of it; felt like playing something I was too young for on an older cousin's Amiga.

Perfect length for a game of its type, just a few hours and a host of modifiers to make speedruns or more challenging replays possible. Dunno why I haven't already replayed it now I think of it.

There's more DLC coming later :) 

On 05/07/2021 at 15:19, Qazimod said:

According to the blog, the developer is working on some free story DLC - there's no release date yet but it's going to add quite a lot to the game...

The free Katana ZERO DLC will be 6x the original planned size. That’s a bit over half the size of the main game. This means more levels, mechanics, enemies, bosses, and intertwined story elements. It’s less like a DLC and more like Katana 1.5.

https://blog.askiisoft.com/post/646741966082686976/askiisoft-development-updates-march-2021

I've got some games I want to revisit and then series whose games I replay on the regular. I'm replaying some stuff right now actually.

I'll keep it to things I want to replay or own but have not started yet.

• Final Fantasy IX - Playing VII on switch again gave me a chance to do something I'd never done before, beat all the super bosses and get all summons, was a blast and I did it all much faster than I expected. IX I'll start eventually when I really want to play it. I finished VIII also but that was my first time beating it and honestly I'm not very fond of it. Think I've delayed starting because I played VIII and Grandia I back to back.
  • Pretty much anything that got a remaster or definitive edition - See: Tales of Vesperia.
  • Sega Ages: Thunder Force IV - Beat this on a one credit clear but I want to try for a no miss run to get that massive points bonus.
  • Sin & Punishment 2 - Picked this up on wii because I saw the price was climbing but I've not touched it yet even though I adore the N64 game.
  • Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 - I've not played these in 10 years I should fix that.
  • Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy - Not high priority but it is honestly my favourite Naughty Dog game by a distance and that's high praise considering their output.
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn - I gave speedrunning this a go earlier this year and I wouldn't mind giving it a go again. Doing a 100% playthrough wouldn't be off the cards either it's a pretty replayable open world game.
  • Cing's adventure games for Nintendo - Another Code, Another Code: R, Hotel Dusk and The Last Window. I have R and Dusk ready to go but acquiring Another Code and Last Window for a price I'm happy with is proving challenging.

There are also a handful of series whose games I replay on the regular:

• Fire Emblem - I've not done a playthrough of Path of Radiance for a while. Might do that next time I go on holiday. Go for a ironman run where my units have to stay dead for a change. Thinking of giving Fates: Conquest a go also on normal, hard mode was torture but people who play on normal rank it very highly.
  • Metroid - I've not done this in a while, I have a feeling if I play any again I'll probably do Prime 1 & 2, Fusion and Zero Mission together.
  • Resident Evil - REmake feels overdue for a play but I'm tempted to play 4 and 2 Remake again as they are just so excellent.
  • Koji Igarashi Castlevania games - I like these for many of the same reasons I like Metroid. I don't have the DS games anymore so I'll probably take on Symphony of the Night or Aria of Sorrow again in the future.

I've started replaying Mario 64 on Switch recently and I realised I have no interest in playing through again. 

I have the fondest memories of playing that game (12 hours straight until 6am and then hallucinated the following day!). 

Same going through 3D World, I just have up on it (even though I didn't play the Wii version) and it felt so similar to what I played before and couldn't help but think I was rehashing and spoiling memories. 

Just going through Last of Us 2 for a second time and feel slightly different as this isn't a nostalgic play through. It's still great but when the story no longer really grips you've got a somewhat, extremely well done, basic 3rd person shooter. 

Im doing this play through with plenty of pick ups and I have more than enough Ammo and kit. This really isn't the way to play this game but I don't really think I want to endure the challenge. 

Im aware I am slightly stupid. 

7 hours ago, R0b said:

100% this. Resi 4 is weirdly timeless, possibly because it was classic/outdated in its control on release. It just flows so well. Some proper pacing alchemy going on in that game. 

There are great moments when you find you can punch a cow and it can kill you.

Last of Us Part 2 & BOTW, in both cases I'm waiting another 6 months to a year until I get back into either game, as I think I will enjoy each game again more by leaving a "bigger gap" between play throughs if that makes sense.

Seperatley, I can easily/ frequently go back and play through certain games 

once a year, good examples include RE 4 as others have mentioned but also

Company of Heroes and Command & Conquer Generals.

Outside of the Mass Effect trilogy, which I always replay every other year or so, The Witcher 3 is one I like to replay, and quite fancy it again actually. 

10 hours ago, Thor said:

Outside of the Mass Effect trilogy, which I always replay every other year or so, The Witcher 3 is one I like to replay, and quite fancy it again actually. 

I'm waiting on whatever the new updates will do to the thing, and I suspect I'll be there for another little run through.

Resi 4 and Dark Souls are the obvious ones - I have to say I'd love to come fresh to Eternal Darkness again, there's a game I'd pay good money for a proper HD remaster of. Shame it's never coming.