Marvel (Disney) What If? August 11th 2021 Disney+

Arn X Treme

15 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

Speculation

Hide contents

Each episode ends with Sam Jackson recruiting someone to form a What If Avengers.

Bigger speculation - if they are all more 'minor characters' as opposed to Downey Jnr or Hemsworth being recruited then might be we the live action version of them in Spiderman or Doc Strange when they mess around in the multiverse?

Spoiler

If this means we get a live action sword and shield wielding Captain Carter fighting multiversal dimensional beasts I'd be all for it.

On 11/08/2021 at 21:54, Harsin said:

Really not a fan of the animation, reminded me of when people try to make short films using videogame mods.

If you're thinking of the work of the late Monty Oum, the action sequences being so much better looking than the dialogue scenes did actually remind me of that, but in this case that's a good thing.

7 hours ago, Benny said:

If you're thinking of the work of the late Monty Oum, the action sequences being so much better looking than the dialogue scenes did actually remind me of that, but in this case that's a good thing.

Yeah RWYB wasn't for everyone but it was something i enjoyed, and now you've said it that's what the style reminds me of.

That and the Naruto Series on the Gamecube. 

I mean, the story was completely superfluous but I loved Captain Carter. It’s basically an old skool WWII propaganda film, the kind they used to churn out a dozen a week from the 30’s to the 70’s.

It won me over at the 1940’s music montage. It should all have been that kind of Colonel Blimp stuff.

Best thing about the entire thing was seeing The Watcher during the intro.

I thought this was fantastic. Love the animation style, it makes Netflix's Masters of the Universe look like something some incel knocked up in Macromedia Flash 20 years ago. This is modern, quality animation, and Carter was fucking brilliant. :)

11 hours ago, Thor said:

I thought this was fantastic. Love the animation style, it makes Netflix's Masters of the Universe look like something some incel knocked up in Macromedia Flash 20 years ago. This is modern, quality animation, and Carter was fucking brilliant. :)

We know incels had nothing to do with MOTU - hence the rage that the women aren't all wearing bikinis....

2 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

We know incels had nothing to do with MOTU - hence the rage that the women aren't all wearing bikinis....

Oh I know, and I actually really enjoyed MOTU. I was just making a point about how cheap it looks in comparison to this. 

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

Oh I know, and I actually really enjoyed MOTU. I was just making a point about how cheap it looks in comparison to this. 

I think they both had pros and cons. The battles in this looked good but the rest was weirdly flat. I still enjoyed both shows. Did this one anger up the incels? I guess having Steve still get to be a hero might have calmed them down...

They crammed a lot in to half an hour and I enjoyed the breezy tone. The animation felt really uneven - anything hand animated was great and a lot of the action scenes were excitingly blocked and edited but the 3D character animation was really wooden and low-rent, especially but not exclusively in dialogue scenes, where it undermined voice acting which was often not great to start with.

Very much a case of animation being used to make an expensive project practical than because they were excited about the medium I think.

2 hours ago, womblingfree said:

On reflection, this was bollocks.

Yep, the lacklustre voice acting really seals the deal. 

As ever, voice actors for animation have a unique talent that many actors don't seem to comprehend or realise exists. Probably why people were so taken with Miss Minutes in Loki as Tara Strong is really good.

I'm glad the videogame industry seems to have largely passed its starfucking phase. Presumably they came to the realisation that paying big names megabucks was actually having a negligible effect on their sales when they could get a professional voice actor for a fraction of the price who will likely do a much better job.

On 12/08/2021 at 10:20, Sidewaysbob said:

This for an example. The very first 10 minutes of the show explained that there are multiple timelines and stories created when an action is taken. 

In this scenario:

WHAT IF, instead of going to the room upstairs Peggy stayed in the chamber and saw the Nazi set the bomb off?

The moment she says "No, I'll stay" the timeline has changed and they can do whatever they want. So the bomb goes off before Rogers is superhumaned, Peggy gets in the chamber instead. ... etc etc

That's the point. to play around with the story and take it off in a different direction. For the fun of it. 

Exactly. The logic is actually pretty tight here. It took me a while to remember exactly what happened in the original Captain America, but: in the original, Peggy Carter and the other VIPs are all ushered upstairs in to the viewing gallery, and not let back down until after the experiment, denying the spy his chance until Steve got the serum. Because Peggy declines to go upstairs, everyone else also stays down there during the experiment, and the spy gets an earlier opportunity to strike. And then everything just cascades from there: this happens earlier, this doesn't happen, so and so pursues a different evil scheme... as ropey as the presentation has been in the first episode, I liked the writing. There's a movie's worth of turns and reversals in those 30 minutes and they even fit in a little bit of a character arc.

43 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I'm glad the videogame industry seems to have largely passed its starfucking by phase. Presumably they came to the realisation that paying big names megabucks was actually having a negligible effect on their sales when they could get a professional voice actor for a fraction of the price who will likely do a much better job.

I'll tell ya what proper fucks me off. 

When they hire British actors for an animated character, but get them to do an American accent. 

The Grinch is an example. I had no idea that was Benedict Cumberbatch, until I saw the end credits. 

The entire point of hiring Benedict Cumberbatch was removed, as he sounded like a hundred other American voiced characters. 

So get a fucking American to voice the character in the first place. 

2 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:

I'll tell ya what proper fucks me off. 

When they hire British actors for an animated character, but get them to do an American accent. 

The Grinch is an example. I had no idea that was Benedict Cumberbatch, until I saw the end credits. 

The entire point of hiring Benedict Cumberbatch was removed, as he sounded like a hundred other American voiced characters. 

So get a fucking American to voice the character in the first place. 

I think it's because the Brits are better actors. 

5 hours ago, Festoon said:

Yep, the lacklustre voice acting really seals the deal. 

As ever, voice actors for animation have a unique talent that many actors don't seem to comprehend or realise exists. Probably why people were so taken with Miss Minutes in Loki as Tara Strong is really good.

Honestly, if they hadn't put the likes of Hayley Atwell and Sebastian Stan in the opening credits I'd have thought it someone pretending to be them, especially Stan who's delivery was really poor. Ironically enough, the best out out the lot was the person imitating Chris Evans.

Really liked the animation though.

I assume this was recorded individually which is probably going to be more difficult for people not experienced in voice acting. 

I wasn't overly fussed on the animation and much preferred MoTU to be honest. 

I think the premise was handled very well. Steve Rodgers remained heroic and wasn't cheaply killed off either. I'd have liked it even if he'd have remained heroic without an Iron Man suit, but hey, there was a lot to do in a half hour. 

I saw a review complaining that this was entirely for Marvel fans and required you really knew the plot of the original and felt they'd spectacularly missed the point. This was a lot more fun than I thought it'd be. 

18 hours ago, drmick said:

I think it's because the Brits are better actors. 

Rick McCallum said the Brits handled all the green-screen work on the Star Wars prequels better than the US actors because they had traditionally done a lot more ‘sparse set’ theatre. 

With this, as @Stigweardsaid, the Chris Evans impersonator’s work was way above the quality of the big names, because he’s done a lot more voice acting. Stan especially was really flat. I didn’t think Hayley Atwell was too bad actually, but if you’re used to bouncing off other actors’ performances it’s probably quite hard to do that in a sound booth on your own.

I enjoyed it enough to stick with it - I like these butterfly effect type scenarios.

3 hours ago, Stigweard said:

The Iron Man suit made zero sense but I guess they can just hand wave it away by just saying "What If" and shrug.

What ! Its hardly hand waving it away if the whole point of the program is to say "What if".

If it wasn't an alternative take, then it would have been just an animated Captain American 30 minute film!!!