One Series Wonders

schmojo

Almost Human - Karl Urban and Michael Ealy in futuristic police procedural.

Human Target - 2 series but only 13 episodes each. Mark Valley, Chi McBride and Jackie Earl Haley as vigilante MacGuyver-y helper types.

Both awesome!

On 08/07/2021 at 16:17, Boothjan said:

Knowing Me Knowing You with Alan Partridge

Obvs there's been more Alan since then but only one series of KMKYWAP - and the fact it's only one series is the source of most of the material in I'm Alan Partridge.

So yes, I'm cheating a bit. 

Technically the TV series is series 2 of KMKYWAP if you count the radio show :blah:

Which is brilliant if you haven't heard it before, search it out on Audible or YouTube!

15 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Buried, an early 2000s prison drama starring Lennie James. Gritty, super characters and a great plot. Far superior to the recent Sean Bean prison drama Time. 

This is on 4OD if anybody is interested in watching it.

Saw the first episode, holds up pretty well, a very realistic style they went for.

Does it actually end in a satisfying way? as it seems to have been cancelled due to poor ratings, despite winning the BAFTA that year.

My choice would be Brimstone from 1998 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brimstone_(TV_series)

Loved it at the time and it was clearly meant for more. It looks quite low budget and of it's time now, but I really enjoyed it when channel 4 first picked it up. 

One other honourable mention would be Carnivale from 2003 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivàle

Slightly cheating with this one as it actually had two series, but was cruelly cancelled, never to be concluded. 

Has anyone mentioned Vic and Bob's Saturday night gameshow, Families at War?

It was hilarious, chaotic mayhem and unfortunately didn't last but gave us the enduring image of Leo Sayer being ejected by a treadmill.

Apologies for the potato video, it doesn't seem to be available in a better quality.

On 11/07/2021 at 19:28, Wickedkitten said:

Harpers Island

Man I love Elaine Cassidy. First time I saw her was in a play valled Disco Pigs, with another first timer, Cillian Murphy. I think they did a not-as-good film of it.

Edit: And now I've just found out it was a different actress in the play, who was excellent in the grim Magdalene Sister. Hey ho.

Checkout Godless on Netflix.  It was fucking ace from beginning to end.

The premise is that there is a Western mining town where disaster strikes, killing nearly all the men.  Cowlady action ensues.  

Great characters, proper cowboy shit, shootings, grimness.  

I give it at least 4 San Francisco cock suckers out of 5.

EDIT: the fucking bastards have only gone and made a new series of it coming out later this year.  The fuckers.

On 07/07/2021 at 15:04, MarkN said:

World Of Pub. I loved this comedy set in a different themed pub each episode. Phil Cornwell, Peter Serafinovicz, and Kevin Eldon having a load of fun. This clip's not that representative because it's complete gross-out stuff, and it's about the only part of it that is IIRC. I don't like gross-out stuff unless it's done really very well, and this is pretty bloody good. I think the whole series is up on YouTube, FWIW.

Thanks for highlighting this, I totally missed it at the time but have now watched all six episodes on YouTube (although 4th one is only and Vimeo). Great stuff!

3 hours ago, elyuw said:

Thanks for highlighting this, I totally missed it at the time but have now watched all six episodes on YouTube (although 4th one is only and Vimeo). Great stuff!

Glad you enjoyed it. The format was perfect for additional series, but sadly no... I seem to recall happening across it by accident at the time without having heard thing one about it, possibly in a fairly late night slot. 

A couple of Sky shows that I'm pretty sure NOBODY watched but me

Hooten and the Lady - trash, but highly watchable trash with the 2 leads bouncing off each other extremely well. Just the right level of budget to.

Dracula - starring Johnathan Rhys Meyers - this was actually rather good and got cancelled off far to quick

On 07/07/2021 at 12:49, papalazarou said:

There was a tv series (or mini series) from the early 90’s which scared the hell out of me as kid but was a Perfectly contained story even though they left it open for a Follow up series with a semi cliffhanger which luckily they didn’t do - chimera. set in fertility clinic up near the borders that was actually a secret genetics lab where one of the experiments gets loose and starts terrorising the local countryside.

I feel like the restaurant critic at the end of Ratatouille except I’ve been transported back to a moment of abject terror instead of delight. Mr Scarecrow! Fucking hell that’s nightmares for me tonight.

1 hour ago, James Lyon said:

I've just recalled Eerie, Indiana only had one series. That was a pretty good show for its time.

It had two series the second series was with a different set of kids in an alternative dimension - I love the harvest king episode 

52 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

It had two series the second series was with a different set of kids in an alternative dimension - I love the harvest king episode 

It was a spin off.  It was made about 8 or 9 years after the original and titled Eerie Indiana : The other dimension.

Tenuous/pedantic I guess, but it was almost certainly commissioned seperately and they just used the original as a multiverse jumping point to the new series.

Also the series was canceled during its run l, and it seemed like they maybe planned on revealing more about Dash-x if it had gone on.

I’ve just finished watching ‘Forever’ on Amazon Prime, which was cancelled after one series. 

Maya Rudolph and Fred Armisen as a married couple, where she is growing bored of her life, but then they both die young (separately) and find themselves back together again in the afterlife. 

It’s by the Master of None folks, and is really beautifully done. Tonally half way between The Good Place (for the humour) and Six Feet Under (for the quiet drama).

Despite hinting at things that would come in the second series, it is wrapped up quite nicely, and I would highly recommend it. Rudolph’s performance is *fantastic* and whoever chose the soundtrack deserves a firm handshake. 

Also recommended if you’re a fan of mid-century modern home furnishings. 

On 13/07/2021 at 15:00, MarkN said:

Glad you enjoyed it. The format was perfect for additional series, but sadly no... I seem to recall happening across it by accident at the time without having heard thing one about it, possibly in a fairly late night slot. 

Yeah easily could of been another series. I've downloaded the preceding Radio shows, of which there are 8 episodes, so clearly there were other avenues to investigate :)

On 10/07/2021 at 21:38, mushashi said:

David Simon's adaption of his book, The Corner is an excellent 6-part companion piece to The Wire, it's the primary reason I went looking for further works of his.

Surprised no one mentionned another stunning David Simon's serie (written with Ed Burns) :

Generation Kill

7 episodes about the Irak war, with the formidable Alexander Skarsgard.

It's awesome.