IGNORED

One Series Wonders

schmojo

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

I suppose there's a difference between shows that get cancelled after 1 series, and shows that are only meant to be one series, and work perfectly without needing any more.

Chernobyl is probably the best example of the latter.

Imagine some TV executive commissioning a second season of Chernobyl?

Chernobyl 2: Not Great, Not Terrible.

American Gothic was a good one, cancelled too soon. Gary Cole and the bloke from Tokyo Drift were great in this.

Confusingly, there's a series of the same name made a few of years ago which I think has nothing to do with the former.

I remember liking Journeyman with Kevin Mckidd (think it was mid 2000s)

Was basically a modern day Quantum Leap where he would travel back and change someone's destiny. 

Cancelled after one season although I'm sure it was well received. 

6 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Space Above and Beyond was a fun take on a lot of old-fashioned military show tropes, but in space.

Yep, and while it’s dated now it had a clear influence on the Battlestar Galactica remake. 

Anyway, I’ll go with Jericho for my suggestion. It’s cheating slightly as it got a 6 episode wrap up in response to a fan campaign after being cancelled, but it’s still worth watching now. 

5 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

This was so good!

I hated it as a kid but went on to read the book as I got older which is also great too. 

Poor Chad. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101577/

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/363523.Chimera

Must give the book a read - Been looking for the tv series for years I know it came out on dvd but seems to go for crazy money and isn’t on any yehar sites as a last resort 

My So-Called Life!

Given what I remember of the commentaries, the proposed episodes for Clerks: TAS Season 2 would have been enjoyable (I've long felt that ABC enforcing broadcast standards on Smith produced some of his best work).

Ultraviolet from 1998 - not sure if it was intended as a single series although, as I recall, it ended in a fairly open way but never continued.

M ight have to give it a rewatch I have the DVDs somewhere :D

Fargo, even though it has 4 season now, each season it's own story.

The Good Lord Bird

The Underground Railroad

The Queens Gambit

The Night Manager

Godless

The Night Of

True Detective

4 hours ago, Clipper said:

Ultraviolet from 1998 - not sure if it was intended as a single series although, as I recall, it ended in a fairly open way but never continued.

M ight have to give it a rewatch I have the DVDs somewhere :D

That was one of the better Vampire shows, I always wondered if it was based on a book or something as it always felt like it was going somewhere it never quite reached. 

Idris Elba & Jack Davenport too!

Knowing Me Knowing You with Alan Partridge

Obvs there's been more Alan since then but only one series of KMKYWAP - and the fact it's only one series is the source of most of the material in I'm Alan Partridge.

So yes, I'm cheating a bit. 

9 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

That was one of the better Vampire shows, I always wondered if it was based on a book or something as it always felt like it was going somewhere it never quite reached. 

Idris Elba & Jack Davenport too!

I am a bit of a fan of vampire stuff, usually the various dracula adaptations so this pushed my buttons very well* and showed how to do upto date Dracula/vampires 20 years earlier and far better than the BBC's part 3 managed.

Elba and Davenport on good form although the latter can appear a little "dozy" at times (I think he was going for bewildered/moody but didn't quite have the chops yet to manage it).

* as did the likes of Near Dark, Vampire's kiss and other alternative takes over the years.

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

Knowing Me Knowing You with Alan Partridge

Obvs there's been more Alan since then but only one series of KMKYWAP - and the fact it's only one series is the source of most of the material in I'm Alan Partridge.

So yes, I'm cheating a bit. 

On a related note, there was only one series of The Day Today. I could do with some Chris Morris as Paxman right now.

On 07/07/2021 at 19:16, James Lyon said:

American Gothic was a good one, cancelled too soon. Gary Cole and the bloke from Tokyo Drift were great in this.

That's my pick. Gary Cole as Lucas Buck was immense. I would also say Murder One. It had a second season but the first with Daniel Benzali and Stanley Tucci was one of those 90s shows that really gripped you. The second season was OK but wasn't the same without Benzali.

Can we add Twin Peaks: The Return?

I mean yes, it assumes knowledge of the original show, or at least a pop culture knowledge, but it's a stunning piece of work in its own right.

David Simon's adaption of his book, The Corner is an excellent 6-part companion piece to The Wire, it's the primary reason I went looking for further works of his.

For stuff that just got shitcanned way before their hoped for natural lifespan, Joss Whedon's Firefly is still the series to beat for me, though saying that, wasn't a big fan of the later film.

I doubt many people have heard of it, let alone watched it (though I think it hovers around one of the lower-numbered Sky channels), but the Roger Moore/Tony Curtis vehicle The Persuaders!

I only saw this in the early 2000s - so was watching it with very different eyes to the original audience - but even though the action is shonky, the acting is often stiff, amateur and just bad, there's something about seeing the relationship between the two leads develop over the course of the run that is quite charming. I think there were high hopes for it at the time because of the star power involved, but it never did well in the ratings.

To add a film - and why not, given that people have already added tv shows that had multiple seasons - I always wanted a sequel to Biggles, which I mention partly because I really did like Biggles, but also because the man himself, Neil Dickinson, was also in what became a bit of a cult series She-Wolf of London, with Kate Hodge playing the titular character. Like The Persuaders!, the charm came from the relationship of the leads, but it was a fun spin on the American Werewolf tail (;)). 

On 07/07/2021 at 17:43, Ste Pickford said:

I suppose there's a difference between shows that get cancelled after 1 series, and shows that are only meant to be one series, and work perfectly without needing any more.

Chernobyl is probably the best example of the latter.

Imagine some TV executive commissioning a second season of Chernobyl?

Exactly. There are a lot of one off mini series being referenced here: deliberately self contained, closed, stories. If you’re going to reference those, you’re not that far off from saying “what’s your favourite film”.

Firefly is probably the most obvious continuing series that was taken too soon, and that wasn’t deliberately set up to be six to ten episodes long in the first place. 

My vote goes to Empty.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1205441/?ref_=ext_shr_lnk

A bittersweet comedy-drama about house clearers, co-written by our very own Rab Florence. 

One of my deep regrets was not telling him how much I loved it when I ran into him at Board Game Expo. If you can track the show down, please do. It really is very charming. 

I'd also recommend Dead Man Weds which was a sitcom from 2005 and Dave Spikey's follow up to Phoenix Nights. Its about a news editor coming to a small northern town, and very much in the same vein as PN. 

The rest of the series doesn't live up to the quality of the first episode, but still good for a chuckle. No idea why it only got one series. Possibly because it was on ITV not C4 and hit the wrong audience? Full series on the YT: