Nintendo Switch Pro

deKay

Every time someone taps their nose on Twitter we should add them to a database for future reference, for when we remember the rumours but not who said them.

Like that megaton that was supposed to be reported in a magazine's next issue, where we'd pop into its thread months later to nowt.

This bit struck me:

By the time Nintendo showed off the new console in July, the company had already handed out the 4K kits to outside developers and asked them to design software to support the higher resolution. A development kit, which is used to test unfinished games, is a standard instrument in the game-making process. The Nintendo Switch kit contains extra memory to accommodate debugging software and additional ports to facilitate a connection to a computer but otherwise has similar capabilities to the hardware that customers would have at home. The kit for the original Switch, like the consumer products, transmits video to a TV or monitor at 1080p resolution. The new one does 4K.

I wonder if perhaps Nintendo shipped a dev kit that has a 4K video mode but no additional power for games - like the PS2's unused HD video modes - and they asked developers can make sure their games on the 1080p Switch look OK on 4K TVs.

That had me until the last sentence:

”Perhaps – and this is the least exciting theory of them all – it's just harder to get HDMI 1.4 cables and controllers these days, so Nintendo has opted to use the more commonly-availably HDMI 2.0 versions”

Seems like people are really clutching at straws now. Of course there’s one in development, I’d be surprised if they don’t always have some hardware or other on the back burner, but seriously who cares if the dock can do 4K? 

4 hours ago, Myshkin said:

That had me until the last sentence:

”Perhaps – and this is the least exciting theory of them all – it's just harder to get HDMI 1.4 cables and controllers these days, so Nintendo has opted to use the more commonly-availably HDMI 2.0 versions”

I was actually going to post something like this. 

This is probably nothing more than the fact that the older HDMI formats will be being phased out. 

It's probably just easier for them to use an HDMI 2.0 port, than an older one!

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

Seems like people are really clutching at straws now. Of course there’s one in development, I’d be surprised if they don’t always have some hardware or other on the back burner, but seriously who cares if the dock can do 4K? 

I mean - i'd love to be able to somehow connect a 4k-capable dock to the existencee of a 4k Switch. Love to. Don't care how many hoops i have to embarrass myself through or how much reason/sanity I have to jettison. But, alas, so far even my fever dreams have failed to inspire hope. It's just cheaper to use HDMI 2 because why would anyone mass manufacture 1.4 anymore? Goddamn reason ruining all my fun.

• 4 months later...

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/84839/dlss-enabled-nintendo-switch-pro-reportedly-found-in-nvidia-leak/index.html

Mention of a new DLSS-enabled Switch model has reportedly been found in the recent NVIDIA leak.

NVIDIA's recent data breach may have unearthed details about Nintendo's upcoming 4K-ready Switch model. The code indicates the Switch will support DLSS, NVIDIA's powerful and flexible supersampling technology, in order to hit 4K gaming.

The leaked code makes three possible references to the Switch: "nvndlss.cpp," "nvn_dlss.cpp," and "nvn_dlss_backend.h". For reference, NVN is the name of the graphics API used for the Nintendo Switch.

The data mentions NVN2, which could signal the next-gen Switch. Bloomberg reports from September 2021 say Nintendo has sent out development kits of the new model.

According to kopite7kimi, a reputable leaker, the code also specifically names a new T239 chip that's believed to be used in the Switch Pro. NVIDIA's new T239 chip is built on its 8nm Orin SoC codenamed "Dane".

On 06/07/2021 at 17:32, deKay said:

Current rumour is a release in March 2022 alongside BOTW2.

*taps the sign*

They need to hurry the fuck up and announce this before my Q2 Steam Deck preorder becomes available.  Seeing footage of ER on the Deck is genuinely impressive stuff. Though I’d take a buffed Switch over the Deck. 

17 minutes ago, geldra said:

They need to hurry the fuck up and announce this before my Q2 Steam Deck preorder becomes available.  Seeing footage of ER on the Deck is genuinely impressive stuff. Though I’d take a buffed Switch over the Deck. 

The Switch Pro version is the only one that runs at a stable 60fps.

Would genuinely be amazed if Nintendo released a Pro while the Switch is still doing numbers and the chip squeeze is tighter than ever.

This is gonna be a long gen and we're only just about to see the next wave of Nintendo developed games, there's still a lot to squeeze out of the machine. 

• 4 months later...

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2022/07/new-nintendo-switch-pro-announcement-soon

New evidence has emerged which points to the likelihood that Nintendo is preparing to announce new hardware.

At the end of June, Nintendo released its spending figures for the last financial year, which showed that the company spent 8000x its regular budget on raw materials during this period. Looking at patterns of spending on hardware development, and the rising production costs, the publisher appears to be preparing for the launch of a new console.