IGNORED

Richard Donner RIP

JohnC

In the last year, I've watched three of his films. I rewatched both Superman 1 and Maverick, both of which are still great. And a few months ago I watched the 2006 Donner Cut of Superman 2 for the first time.

The Donner Cut is too compromised for me to be able to claim, as some do, that it's clearly superior to Richard Lester's theatrical cut: it adds comedy in some surprising places as well as removing it, so I don't think it's as significantly different in tone as its reputation suggests - and there are some bits of Lester's version that are burned into my memory from childhood, that I really missed. But it's a fascinating alternate cut, and was great that Donner got the chance to return to it.

15 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

The Goonies, Scrooged, Maverick... They're all on my "if it's on TV, it's getting watched" list. As well as Superman.

I liked Conspiracy Theory too. 

I didn't like Conspiracy Theory at all, but agree on those other three. Extremly rewatchable.

Snyder doing grimdark Superman was a bad idea anyway,  but Donner did Superman properly on his first try and no-one will ever top Christopher Reeve in that role(s) nor Margot Kidder as Lois so I don't know where you even start with a Superman reboot.  Brian Singer didn't even really try and just tried, and failed, to carry on where Donner had left off.

Such a great director, Lethal Weapon, The Goonies, Superman, The Omen, Maverick and Ladyhawke! I hadn't realised he'd directed that as well. I enjoyed most of the things he'd made and he could move between genres with relative ease. 

I know a lot of people revere him for Superman, and rightly so, but when I watched The Omen for the time a couple of years ago, I was blown away at how good it was. There were some superb set pieces, a great back story and a kind of tension and atmosphere that seems to pour over you without you knowing it. Really, really worth seeking out if you've not seen it. 

And I'll always love The Goonies and Lethal Weapon. 

RIP 

15 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

I didn't like Conspiracy Theory at all, but agree on those other three. Extremly rewatchable.

Snyder doing grimdark Superman was a bad idea anyway,  but Donner did Superman properly on his first try and no-one will ever top Christopher Reeve in that role(s) nor Margot Kidder as Lois so I don't know where you even start with a Superman reboot.  Brian Singer didn't even really try and just tried, and failed, to carry on where Donner had left off.

When Christopher Reeve tells Lois that he never lies. That's what Superman should be. None of the other movie versions have got it. 

50 minutes ago, Nick R said:

In the last year, I've watched three of his films. I rewatched both Superman 1 and Maverick, both of which are still great. And a few months ago I watched the 2006 Donner Cut of Superman 2 for the first time.

The Donner Cut is too compromised for me to be able to claim, as some do, that it's clearly superior to Richard Lester's theatrical cut: it adds comedy in some surprising places as well as removing it, so I don't think it's as significantly different in tone as its reputation suggests - and there are some bits of Lester's version that are burned into my memory from childhood, that I really missed. But it's a fascinating alternate cut, and was great that Donner got the chance to return to it.

Jesus, that's a masterpiece! I never realised. 

I was 12 when I first watched The Goonies and it was the best thing that I had ever seen.  Pirates, criminals, booby twaps*, a kid with the same name as me and who needed the occasional shot of an inhaler when things got a bit tense.  A few years ago, I fulfilled a promise to myself to visit Astoria and see the Goonie house.  It was part of an amazing trip and the "jail" is now a film museum, mocked up like the opening scene.  If you ever get the chance, go.

Anyway, the man knew how to put together at the minimum a hugely entertaining movie.  Ladyhawke, Maverick and Assassins are great watches.  The original Superman movie has grown on me immensely over the last few years.  And The Omen and Scrooged are classics.

*Yeah, that's what I said! Booby twaps!

29 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Jesus, that's a masterpiece! I never realised. 

I was thinking the same - never noticed it before as a brilliant piece of film-making which is part of the reason its so brilliant.

Also, how Clark never drops his clumsy/awkard behaviour for a second even when nobody is about. The brilliance of Reeve's performance is that you completely buy that nobody would think he was Superman, even for a second.

RIP Richard

Superman is the best superhero film of all time - the casting of Reeves and Kidder is just wonderful. I recently re-watched it with my children and they didn't crap on about the special effects, just liked the film

Watched the special features myself later and there is a section of the casting of Louis and all the different screen tests they did with different actresses, and Kidder just had that x-factor that made the film

I loved Goonies as a kid. It represented a kind of dream summer holiday to me - finding treasure with a motley crew and avoiding the bad guys. I watched that VHS so many times I can STILL remember exactly where the advert breaks used to kick in. It just had this wonderful joyous energy about it. So many great moments. Lightening in a bottle that I doubt could ever be recaptured.

10 hours ago, makkuwata said:

I just rewatched Maverick last night for the first time in years. :(

At least two twists too many and Jodie Foster can't do comedy but I still love it for many reasons, most of all Graham Greene being completely bloody hilarious. 

Donner really got the best out of Mel Gibson.