IGNORED

Cristales - Indie Time Travel RPG

gospvg

• 3 weeks later...

Will be talking about it on the podcast we arfe recording on Thursday. (out at the weekend).

I like it, I thought I'd really struggle with the time mechanics, but it works really well. There is no massively long scenes of just reading line after line of text. It tries its best to keep you moving, which I really appreciate and it looks lovelyu. 

A very accessible JRPG coming from someone who usually struggles with them.

I at least appreciate that the art style is actual animation because there are a lot of very well designed illustrative games out there, but 95% of them use that paper doll Macromedia Flash style animation that I find takes a bit of the joy out of them. I appreciate why, it's much easier to programmatically animate and budgets are limited. 

But I'm putting that approach up there with how many games have pixel graphics. It was a style for a while, now it feels cheap by its proliferation apart from a few rare cases. 

Anyway, this doesn't do that for the sprites and that is good. I got totally sucked into Like a Dragon, and Dragon Quest recently. I think I really love turn based JRPG combat. 

But I actually really enjoyed Earthlock despite it being a bit crap - but mostly because it didn't take too long as opposed to DQXI which NEVER ENDED with a crippling amount of side quests or busy work. It had quick text-dialogue cutscenes rather than 10+ minutes of chatting. I like that well enough - as I say, I finished Yakuza: LAD and DQXI but at the same time I have limited time to play games and it's nice for a game to not eclipse everything else.

So if this is a rather quick and to the point turn based RPG I think it's the sort of thing I do well with.

I’m enjoying this so far, 3 hours in, very old school JRPG in structure but the time mechanic makes it feel quite fresh. Not 100% sold yet on the graphical style but it may grow on me.

Playing on Series X with a TV with VRR  and haven’t noticed any screen tearing as previously mentioned. 

40 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

I’m enjoying this so far, 3 hours in, very old school JRPG in structure but the time mechanic makes it feel quite fresh. Not 100% sold yet on the graphical style but it may grow on me.

Playing on Series X with a TV with VRR  and haven’t noticed any screen tearing as previously mentioned. 

With vrr you won't. The screen tearing is really distracting otherwise

I think this game has finally gave me confirmation that I don't like JRPG style anymore. Used to be one of my favourite genres but I have game up within an hour of. The last 5 or 6 I have played. 

I can't handle listening to whiny high pitched girls anymore backed up with poor writing. And that opening with the fetch quests just was tedious as hell. 

The battle system seems good as well and it looks pretty, I will give it another 30 mins and see if it clicks but that doesn't seem likely. 

Also the screen tearing is pretty bad and the resolution seems poor at times. 

• 3 weeks later...

Coming towards the end of this now and, as much as I enjoyed the first half, it really feels like it's treading water in the second half. All the neat ideas with time manipulation never really evolve further than their initial basic implementation. There's barely been any use for time crystals in battle for ages, for instance. And for some reason it gets easier and easier as it goes, until everything is just a pushover.

I still love the visual style, and quite like the characters and the battle system. But it feels like there just weren't the resources to fully flesh this out. It just kind of stops developing after a while.