Star Wars: Visions - animated anthology series

16 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Found this awesome, I'm an anime guy anywhere but its so ridiculous and so Japanese at times that I can't believe this is actually a real thing.  I wonder what the hard core Star Wars fans will think of this. 

I’ve watched a few episodes and it seems more like Star Wars for anime fans than anime for Star Wars fans. 

12 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

I’ve watched a few episodes and it seems more like Star Wars for anime fans than anime for Star Wars fans. 

Definitely, I can see Star Wars fan raging at this, again Kathleen Kennedy ruining Star Wars.

2 hours ago, yakumo said:

Found this awesome, I'm an anime guy anywhere but its so ridiculous and so Japanese at times that I can't believe this is actually a real thing.  I wonder what the hard core Star Wars fans will think of this. 

Hardcore Star Wars fans hate Star Wars.

I thought some of them were more true to Star Wars than most of Star Wars.

Duel is a Kurosawa Star Wars homage, going all the way back to the fact that Star Wars is a take on Kurosawa in the first place. The story of a ronin 

Spoiler

sith hunter

is reminiscent of the Mando Ahsoka episode as well, which it also resembles.

Village Bride didn't seem to be very Star Wars at all at first, but then when

Spoiler

the Empire arrive

it becomes a great little story of how life under occupation must have been. This is something that's not really touched at all in the movies and I've only ever seen it in Doctor Aphra, Bad Batch and now this. Also

Spoiler

Watashi wa Jedi!

was pure fucking mic-drop.

Tatooine Rhapsody was a nice little vignette Jabba side-story.

Ninth Jedi was pretty epic and you'd have no problem expanding that into a series, book or comic. Very reminiscent of the Tales of the Jedi comics from back in the day.

Really loved the Astroboy 

Spoiler

Jedi

Need to re-watch The Twins as I had a baby screaming in my ear.

Still got three more to go! :omg:

4 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Any way to watch this on D+ in Japanese with English subs that aren’t closed captioned?

As otherwise it’s gonna have to be dubbed.

Dub is good, no need to worry. Wish we did have a bad dub though like the old 80-90s though.

16 hours ago, jonamok said:

Any way to watch this on D+ in Japanese with English subs that aren’t closed captioned?

As otherwise it’s gonna have to be dubbed.

I’v been using the closed-caption subs with no bother, except on a couple it’s obvious that they’re the subs for the English version not the Japanese one. One of them even has narration in Japanese which is completely absent in English.

First Ep was good. Second about the band was just okay. This third one about the twins is fucking terrible. 15 mins of shite Star-Warsy exposition, truly piss-poor script, and shrill anime bobbins. Not a great hit rate so far, and not sure this is gonna be my thing, but I’ll stick with it for another couple.

30 minutes ago, jonamok said:

First Ep was good. Second about the band was just okay. This third one about the twins is fucking terrible. 15 mins of shite Star-Warsy exposition, truly piss-poor script, and shrill anime bobbins. Not a great hit rate so far, and not sure this is gonna be my thing, but I’ll stick with it for another couple.

I had the opposite reaction, I loved it. Its so stupid and ridiculous that it just made me smile. Cmon Bobba drink Bobba tea?, how can you not like that?.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

I’ve no idea which bit of the Dark Side Twins episode (Ep 3) that’s referring to?

Or was it in Ep2, which had Fett in it?Though I still missed the line.

Its the Rock one.  I understand why people will dismiss this, the whole tone is off kilter. You have some more mature and darker stuff to then have stuff aimed at kids. 

If anything I want a second series of Visions and this time with European studios because some of the animation I seen is amazing., and more akin to western sensibilities. 

Holy crap Episode 8 Lop Ocho was easily the most gorgeous and amazing short of the lot hands. The animation, the backgrounds and the amount of effort reminded me of a anime movie. Amazing.

For me ranked, I definitely preferred the studios which were wilder in their approach.

1.Lop and Ochō

2.Tatooine Rhapsody

3.T0-B1

4.The Twins

5.The Duel

6.The Ninth Jedi

7.The Village Bride

8.The Elder

We’re ranking them now? Ok, but I’ll give them a score too as they were all good. The Twins at the bottom of the list had one of my favourite bits…

Spoiler

Cutting a Star Destroyer in half with a giant lightsaber. :lol:

1. Duel 10/10

2. Ninth Jedi 9/10

3. Village Bride 9/10

4. Akakiri 9/10

5. Lop & Ocho 8/10

6. T0-B1 8/10

7. The Elder 8/10

8. Tatooine Rhapsody 7/10

9. The Twins 7/10

I wasn’t aware this was coming, and as a pretty big Star Wars fan who doesn’t know that much about anime, it’s still really appealing. Just watched (and loved) the first episode so I’ll try and rinse the rest this weekend. 

This is by far the most interesting thing Disney has done with Star Wars. Quality was highly variable but a few would serve as pilots for longer running series. 

I thought the Duel was a serious cut above the rest, but I enjoyed several others. Akakiri did a better arc in 10 minutes than the prequels did in 3 films.

More Star Wars that's at most tenuously connected to what went before, please. And katana lightsabers warm my heart.

I’ve only seen the Kurosawa one, but that was nicely done. I think I would have preferred it if they’d dialled down the pastiche a bit in places, because it verges on parody - R2D2 with a wicker peasant’s hat on was a bit OTT. I feel it should be in the style of Kurosawa, rather than a direct 1-1 translation of characters and stereotypes. But it was really well-done, and I liked all the mods to various different Kurosawa films (ie the really famous ones, which are the only ones I’ve seen). 

I've seen up to episode 7 and it's been more entertaining than the sequel trilogy so far.

Anyone who pulls their face at Tatooine Rhapsody needs to have a word with themselves.

Pleasantly surprised that I can watch these with Cantonese dub in the UK, as well as a Japanese.  For most other things including What if… only European languages are available.  I like the Kurosawa one, but Mando also had a couple of episode that was quite like this so it’s did not feel as fresh an idea as it could have.

Not bad so far, just watched up to the Village Bride episode and the canon nerd in me just wants to know where this all fits into the timeline. 

My understanding is that the creators were given free licence to do what they wanted with these, regardless of canon, by Disney. The fact that none of the episodes (I have watched so far) feature any prominent SW characters or events in crazy stories, instead featuring original creations in their own stories, bodes well for some of these "Visions" being included in canon down the line.