Do you prioritise gaming over other media and hobbies?

Jamie John

Nah gaming comes down the list for me in terms of leisure priorities at the moment.

Music

TV 

Film

Games

When something really good comes out games will get to the top (hopefully SilkSong or something) but then it goes back down again.

Games take top priority for my entertainment. Three Switch is usually just a reach away. 

Due to health issues over the past year I have had to take time away and do other things and I hate it. 

Have managed to ramp up again recently. I just can't consume things passively.

My main hobby is working out and it takes priority over all “media” kinds of activities.

Nearly all my other time devoted to “media” goes on gaming. Even then, I only really manage 2-3 hours a week. 

I almost never watch films and I only really watch TV with my wife or while eating. I don’t understand how people manage to watch loads of TV, films and do loads of gaming. 

4 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I don’t understand how people manage to watch loads of TV, films and do loads of gaming. 

Probably because they don't work out and/or don't have children ;)

I love playing games, but I get quite anxious if I ignore other things that I'd like to do, usually more creative pursuits like game development so I try to split what little time I have between them.

Those are largely solo pursuits - the rest of my free time I spend with my family, so that generally covers TV, films, and turning the lights different colours because my son thinks that's the best thing ever.

28 years old, he is.

I've got ADHD. It doesn't matter what I'm focusing on. My brain is constantly telling me even though I'm enjoying this. I'm missing out not doing that! 

But lockdown and the last 16 months has seen me spend most of my time gaming over the other stuff I want to be doing. I mean I've nearly completed 15 games this year alone. 

Games and their interactivity do deliver more than most TV and movies. Comics are always a close second just because that media connects with the visual and literal parts of the brain so intensely. 

Did that make sense. I hope it did. 

My 4 year old is really into games. So that helps.

So if my 14 year old, but he is mainly playing the latest fad with his mates.

Just now, cassidy said:

I've got ADHD. It doesn't matter what I'm focusing on. My brain is constantly telling me even though I'm enjoying this. I'm missing out not doing that! 

But lockdown and the last 16 months has seen me spend most of my time gaming over the other stuff I want to be doing. I mean I've nearly completed 15 games this year alone. 

Games and their interactivity do deliver more than most TV and movies. Comics are always a close second just because that media connect with the visual and literal parts of the brain so intensely. 

ADHD is why I connect with gaming more than anything else. I find most other forms of entertainment boring.

Other things I try I get obsessed for a bit then bored and move on, or focus back on games

4 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Games and their interactivity do deliver more than most TV and movies. Comics are always a close second just because that media connect with the visual and literal parts of the brain so intensely. 

It makes far too much sense.

I love football more than games but that temporarily changed over the last year. 

Definitely spent more time gaming than any other interests over the pandemic - found it hard to focus on TV shows, music or books for example for a while due to anxiety and such but I think I'm getting back to a healthier balance now. 

I got back into making music a year or so ago and realised I’d missed it. That and games were always my main things but I do get bored of both. I realised not having the music just left me doing nothing when I got bored of games so I kind of stayed bored longer. Now I tend to switch roughly quarterly. I got really into driving games and bought wheel but right now I’m into guitar again. 

I never used to understand this about myself and would sell the expensive music or gaming equipment when I thought I was bored of it but now I know I just flit between and will always go back to both even if it sometimes takes a little longer. 

I tend to find, coming home from work, playing a game in the evening too exhausting. I find watching a movie or a bit of Netflix/Amazon/Disney far more appealing as it lets me switch my brain off fully.

Have a child and my main hobby is mountaineering/rock climbing. Priority is child and partner, then the mountains/climbing wall, then reading, then games.

Difficult to get out climbing at the mo so gaming has crept up 

The priorities of films, mUsic, books and games is a constantly changing thing for me. 

Gaming has now split off into retro and modern - sometimes I'll have a good old lengthy stint of retro gaming. 

The one thing that is constant is Rllmuk. 

Gaming has taken a backseat to most of my other hobbies in the last five years or so. The titles that truly excite me are fewer and further between nowadays. I still enjoy and admire good game design, but the required time investment often just doesn’t weigh up to what I get out of them anymore. At the moment, putting two hours into any game provides nowhere near the same satisfaction as engaging with a movie for two hours. I really don’t follow the mindset that it’s videogames you’re actively engaging with whilst films are just a way to mindlessly pass a few hours. To me it’s precisely the other way around. 

No, movies and collectibles are my main interests. 

Considered abandoning gaming altogether, not that long ago. 

Lockdown reignited my love of games, but it's still very much a backseat hobby. 

Good topic idea. Since being struck with tinnitus / some hearing issues February 2020, gaming has taken priority over other media. With music and films I find I'm too conscious of not getting the "full" experience like I used to and often remain aware of the tinnitus, whereas gaming has enough interactivity and multiple aspects that the T / affected hearing is less of a problem. As I've got older I've also valued gaming more, which I didn't expect but is a welcome development.  

32 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

I think part of my issue is that almost every other passive hobby is just as much a waste of time so why not play a game? 

I definitely feel that I learn more from other types of media than I do from games, though, as if good books, film and TV are more wholesome or important, somehow, compared with the majority of games. Like, you'll be more culturally enriched from watching the entire series of The Sopranos than you will from playing Destiny for the equivalent number of hours, for example.

Obviously it depends what you decide to watch or read. Watching every single Love Island episode probably wouldn't have the same impact.

I guess I sometimes just worry that I'm wasting my time gaming and it would be better spent on other activities. But then I enjoy gaming, most of the time, so what's the harm?

Personally I feel like my interests in music take priority over my gaming interests. With games there are always the psychological barriers to get over where you're spending £70 on a title and it's devouring weeks of your life and that's where your time is going... but with music I can check out a lot of new tunes just by having an internet browser and it's much easier to keep up with - and you end up enjoying more new things for less expense. As I've discovered where my musical interests are aligned, I've fine-tuned my Spotify recommendations, I'm signed up to one or two mailing lists (of labels, etc) and I have a reading list of artists, bands, DJs and labels on Twitter.

Also: sometimes the idea of playing a game just isn't appealing. You've had a hard week and it's Friday and you need to unwind - do you really want to get into Sekiro this evening? ;) Or do you want to get lost in a film or book or album?

Do you think this kind of handwringing/existential crisis happens with other media or is it the fact that, deep down, there's still the stigma that games are still thought of as being for kids (no matter what the demographics might actually show)?

Gaming is absolutely my main hobby, but I try not to get carried away. I could happily wake up and game from dawn till dusk, and if I'm honest some of my best memories are doing exactly that, you know, a day off, no commitments, just you and a pile of games and coffee and haribos. Golden. I'll never forget that long weekend in August 2010 when I played through Arkham Asylum and Uncharted 2. God Tier living.

I know that's not really healthy or sustainable though so make an effort to keep 100% active in my family life, exercise, read books, life stuff, but there's always a bit of my mind that knows - as much as I'm enjoying doing something else - I'd like to be gaming. It's possibly and quite probably an addiction, but hey, there's worse things you could be doing with your life and I've ran 30k this week.

I do think it's a positive hobby though in lots of ways. It keeps your mind focused and active far more than some dumb shit TV show. The other day my kid walked in to the kitchen and bounced a bouncy-ball off the floor whilst I was cooking and I just span round and reflexively caught it in my left hand and my kid looked at me like I was a god. I swear those reflexes are kept sharp by gaming.  

I'd (almost) never prioritise gaming over the adult and responsible things, but it's absolutely how I like spending my own free time.

4 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Gaming is absolutely my main hobby, but I try not to get carried away. I could happily wake up and game from dawn till dusk, and if I'm honest some of my best memories are doing exactly that, you know, a day off, no commitments, just you and a pile of games and coffee and haribos. Golden. I'll never forget that long weekend in August 2010 when I played through Arkham Asylum and Uncharted 2. God Tier living.

I know that's not really healthy or sustainable though so make an effort to keep 100% active in my family life, exercise, read books, life stuff, but there's always a bit of my mind that knows - as much as I'm enjoying doing something else - I'd like to be gaming. It's possibly and quite probably an addiction, but hey, there's worse things you could be doing with your life and I've ran 30k this week.

I do think it's a positive hobby though in lots of ways. It keeps your mind focused and active far more than some dumb shit TV show. The other day my kid walked in to the kitchen and bounced a bouncy-ball off the floor whilst I was cooking and I just span round and reflexively caught it in my left hand and my kid looked at me like I was a god. I swear those reflexes are kept sharp by gaming.  

I'd (almost) never prioritise gaming over the adult and responsible things, but it's absolutely how I like spending my own free time.

I can definitely empathise with a lot of this. Those rare occurrences when you've got a day with nothing to do but play games with no distractions are incredible. I only get that time nowadays if I'm off work ill and the boy is in childcare. Weekends, apart from the evenings, are spent running around doing chores and errands and God knows what else until my boy is in bed, and then I've got a few hours to myself, but this I have to spread across my various interests, not to mention spending time with the wife and doing exercise, and normally I'm too knackered to stay up late anyway.

And I also find that I'm often thinking about games when I'm not playing them, whether that's at work, driving, or other situations. The other day, for example, I was at an in-laws' BBQ party thing and I spent the entire time thinking about how I'd rather be at home, alone, playing video games in the dark. I felt guilty for thinking that, especially as it was a perfectly nice barbeque and I was having a pleasant time in the sunshine, drinking, eating and chatting. But it was constantly there at the back of my mind the entire time.

Is that normal?

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I tend to find, coming home from work, playing a game in the evening too exhausting. I find watching a movie or a bit of Netflix/Amazon/Disney far more appealing as it lets me switch my brain off fully.

The counterpoint to that is that gaming requires me to stay involved. If I try and sit down to watch a movie after the kids go to bed, 9 times out of 10 I will just fall asleep 15 minutes into it. The same thing happens with TV shows, but usually I manage to absorb just enough of what happened to move onto the next episode. Occasionally I rewatch something to get the details.

Watching something is too passive for someone who plays games a lot. I do read before I go to sleep, but often spark out a few pages in. I’ve recently been trying to read the Dune books, which mostly consist of massively dense philosophical conversations and political scheming that require you to think. I haven’t been able to process them at all, and I’m on the fifth book!

It takes priority in terms of spending, but at a certain point it’s more money than sense. It’s bought and sitting there in the cloud when I get around to it, which tends to be never or for 20 minutes.

With other forms of media it’s consumed as it’s approached.