Noah Hawley “Alien” spin-off series

Alex W.

I have always thought that Prometheus is a complete train wreck of a movie, especially when compared to the movie Scott and the studio insist they were making, but he's not wrong that there's some interesting stuff in there. Covenant leans in to what actually "worked", i.e. David, and is a schlocky, weird treat.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

Didn't AVP2 bring the aliens to Earth already? It was indeed utterly awful though.

Both AVP did - the first was just at a remote artic location compared to SmalltownUSA in the sequel 

1 minute ago, Hexx said:

Both AVP did - the first was just at a remote artic location compared to SmalltownUSA in the sequel 

Oh yeah. I think I'd wiped the first from my memory entirely.

So tell me more about Jesus being an Engineer we crucified?

The novels / video games / comic books have all done Aliens on Earth pretty well over the years.

The original version of Earth War was a sequel to Aliens before they changed all the characters over if I remember rightly.

On 05/07/2021 at 08:40, Sexton Hardcastle said:

No, no, no, no, no, no!!!! I’m not having this bullshit revisionist nonsense that Prometheus & Covenant are any good. They are both rubbish. 

K you said all these same things about Rise of Skywalker, so this is obviously a wind-up too right? Please don’t try to trick people that these are any good. Game over, man!

Yeah, reading this thread has me worried I've woken up in an alternate universe where people consider Alien Covenant a good film. It was easily one of the worst films I'd seen that year, not even having the gorgeous art direction of Prometheus to fall back on. This is like a Resident Evil thread where someone decides to defend RE6 as secretly genius or when someone lays out their vision for why Other M isn't actually unsalvageable garbage.

I enjoyed both Prometheus and Covenant as tense action movies, but Covenant had the dumbest plot twist of any successful movie franchise in human history. The appeal (for me at least) of the previous movies was all the unanswered questions. Who is the space jockey aliens and what are their relationship with the Xenomorph? What is the role of humanity in the Alien universe? Prometheus flirted with these questions but then Ridley Scott must have had a stroke, because with Covenant he shat the bed and undermined 40 years of Alien lore. Nice going, Cockalorum! :doh:

I would welcome a tv-series, but having Aliens on earth is a terrible idea. Dont ruin it by trying to reinvent the wheel, Mumpsimus! :sherlock:

I avoided Prometheus for years because the reaction here was so negative - but ended up really enjoying it (despite its many issues). The atmosphere and aesthetics lifted it a lot for me.

Covenant was far more disappointing, but I didn't hate it.

I'm game for any new Aliens content but have expectations firmly in check.

I think aliens on earth done well would be brill. Like building up to a massive Tyranid style invasion / battle would be awesome. 

I think Mike from Neighbours' subplot was well conceived in Prometheus. He's this mega-successful human being who invented interstellar travel but the only thing he's really bothered about is beating death. It's the whole reason he's done everything he's achieved in his life but it's the one thing he can't do. And when he meets the being that, just possibly, holds the key to the only possibility of being able to do it, it just kills him instantly out of sheer contempt. He's the pinnacle of human achievement but to the creature he's just a bug to be stepped on. I really enjoyed that bit of cosmic horror. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/07/2021 at 10:30, Alex W. said:

I have always thought that Prometheus is a complete train wreck of a movie, especially when compared to the movie Scott and the studio insist they were making, but he's not wrong that there's some interesting stuff in there. Covenant leans in to what actually "worked", i.e. David, and is a schlocky, weird treat.

I thought I'd give it another try as I saw it was in 4k HDR on Disney plus.

Nope, still dumb as rocks. It does look gorgeous though. It has visuals that deserve to be in a better film.

On 04/07/2021 at 22:40, Sarlaccfood said:

Fucksake sounds like I actually need to give Prometheus and Covenant another chance.

(Haven’t even seen the latter)

Spoiler: you don't. 

Im vaguely interested in the tv show if they can manage to get a good script in from the get go. 

But Promo and Covenant? The latter has the stupidest twist of all time and the former has some beautiful sequences but is hamstrung by the stupidest script. The genius scientist with the map of the ship gets lost on the ship? And that's not even in the top fifty stupidest things in the film? Such a heartbreaking mistep. Even Ressurection is better.

Anyhow back on thread. Love Alien. If they can make it work woo :)  

I read the post-Aliens books back when I was a teenager. In those the Aliens do get to earth after a while and its pretty cool. On Earth there is a cult that basically works with the Aliens and hunts people to feed the hives. I can't remember much but its a kind of post-apocalyptic situation where society is in the middle of collapsing with marines and resistance groups fighting the aliens and normal citizens struggling to survive in the ravaged cities. Could definitely work for a spin off.

Another thing that was cool in the books were Alien homeworlds with massive 'prime' Aliens to contend with. I think if you want to get away from the classic survival horror/action of the Alien narrative loop you need to add more inter-human conflict or introduce new spins on the Aliens themselves, which some of the books did quite well.   

The Kenner toy series has lots of stuff they could take inspiration from too. There was a snake alien, a rhino alien, a gorilla alien, a wild boar alien, a bull alien, and many more. Perhaps a zoo crash lands on LV-426, then somehow makes its way back to earth.

6 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I read the post-Aliens books back when I was a teenager. In those the Aliens do get to earth after a while and its pretty cool. On Earth there is a cult that basically works with the Aliens and hunts people to feed the hives. I can't remember much but its a kind of post-apocalyptic situation where society is in the middle of collapsing with marines and resistance groups fighting the aliens and normal citizens struggling to survive in the ravaged cities. Could definitely work for a spin off.

Another thing that was cool in the books were Alien homeworlds with massive 'prime' Aliens to contend with. I think if you want to get away from the classic survival horror/action of the Alien narrative loop you need to add more inter-human conflict or introduce new spins on the Aliens themselves, which some of the books did quite well.   

yeah a lot of the dark horse stuff was really good  esp the first 3 graphic novels - as they act as a proper sequel to aliens which featured a traumatised hicks and newt trying to come to terms with the events of hadleys hope about 10 years after there return  - ripley comes back in later in the series (they were made before alien 3 - but after the release of that movie the books were reconned and the names of newt and hicks changed so not to mess  up the new time line).  The first book was great and delt with the earth being over ran ( as you said above)   If i remeber the alien queen can in those books can use a kinda physic link to plactate people into being more subservant and willing to be hosts or find people to be hosts (the cult) - it works pretty well in the book and i always thought it was a cool idea giving yourself up for impregnation with no control over it.  (and another thing is that it complely makes prometheus  invalid as the engineers are totally different  in this book as there back story is kinda exaplained) 

it was the second book that i really enjoyed where hicks/newt and another android are aboard a milatry cargo ship after the escape  from earth that turns out to contain alien warrior specimens as some mad general on an off world colonly is trying to train then to become his own army so he can retake earth (guess what its doesnt go to plan lol) - plus the art work for this was amazing and reminded me a lot of some of the AD2000 stuff

earth war was the final book where ripley leads hicks and co across the universe to the alien homeworld to capture  the alien king  to use to stop earth being overran.  

The whole series would have made a great movie trillogy.  But im still annoyed as the best of the Dark Horse alien book will never be made - there Alien Vs Predator story was amazing and was set in the james cameron time line and one of the best alien / predator storys they ever did - their prob is the AVP first movie took a lot of it great ideas and butchered them :( 

Some interesting commentary on Prometheus in here, almost talking me into giving it a reappraisal, but I think the cartoonishly stupid characters would still be too great an obstacle. I would mind less if they were just naive colonists that perhaps might not be expected to know better, or the situations in which they're doing these things are so stressful or hurried that again it might be understandable, but the kind of dissonance introduced by juxtaposing "here is the cream of human science" with "trying to stroke an inevitably deadly alien creature" is just too much. I appreciate the argument that much of this was intentional but it just feels to me like they picked the wrong targets, while the original films got it exactly right: it's the idiotic or corrupt management that bring down the whole enterprise, not the smart people failing to be smart - e.g. the corporation, or Burke in particular, trying to harvest aliens for corporate profit and underestimating the rather glaring hazards involved.

I watched Prometheus a few times and that was a few too many, as far as I'm concerned. The downright stupidity of the characters, the depiction of exploration and the major beats of the movie, destroy any of the praise worthy stuff on show, imo.

Alien is almost a perfect film.

The sequels - Alien 3 , resurrection, Prometheus and Covenant are all "interesting". They all strive to do something with the original concept and explore it, move it forward or sideways or do something with it. All are flawed to a greater or lesser extent but all have good intentions and I enjoy watching them all on different levels (even just for amusement sometimes).

I guess I am forgiving of them because they have an impossible task as they are trying to respect the original and expand... because the whole point of Alien was the mystery and the naked killing machine of the unknown. It didn't matter who brought the Aliens or where they came from, that was utterly irrelevant (and still is). the point was of an alien thing getting inside of us and picking us off one by one, it was a perfect horror film with scifi set dressing. Every single sequel tried explore elements that noone really cared about.

James Cameron knew this as he just ignored  a lot of that - plucked out the bits he was interested in and made a big schlocky 80s action film out of it. Yes he popped some themes in there that were about as subtle as lump hammer to the skull (MOTHERS!) but ostensibly it is a big flashy action flick, a very very good one.

So with this new series I am interested but I doubt it will succesfully flesh out Alien as there is no need and it won't work anyway.