Quake 25 years and counting

layten

Quake's such a weird series in terms of a new game because it's a series with such an identity crisis. Should the new Quake be a weird Lovecratian thing where you shoot Shoggoth's with a nail gun, a fast paced MP arena shooter or space marnines versus evil cyborgs.

4 minutes ago, layten said:

I hope ID are working on a new game in the series, especially with Microsoft's bottomless pockets paying for it all.

I was hoping we'd see one at the E3 thing, maybe at QuakeCon?

The weird thing I seem to remember about Quake is that, even though it introduced freely looking around a 3D environment with a mouse, you had to manually activate it via the console every time you started the game. They invented the most fantastic and game-changing feature in first person shooters ever but didn't realise.

edit - maybe they didn't invent it, I'm not a historian m8

6 minutes ago, Timmo said:

The weird thing I seem to remember about Quake is that, even though it introduced freely looking around a 3D environment with a mouse, you had to manually activate it via the console every time you started the game. They invented the most fantastic and game-changing feature in first person shooters ever but didn't realise.

+mlook 

@Stanley was the first friend who got a gaming pc for this. We spent many a night going through it and getting used to WSAD and mouse was crazy at the time. It was absolutely amazing to play and I bit the bullet not long after getting a pc from Tiny on HP think it was about 2k in the end, insane and astronomical, but I had no regrets as I just loved Quake so much. Still think it had the best gibs and sounds ever. 

The £400 phone bill did not go down well. Would  love a full on remaster.

3 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Quake's such a weird series in terms of a new game because it's a series with such an identity crisis. Should the new Quake be a weird Lovecratian thing where you shoot Shoggoth's with a nail gun, a fast paced MP arena shooter or space marnines versus evil cyborgs.

the first one. why did you continue the sentence with the others. the first one.

Quake on the Saturn was the first horror game i played, i think. Or it was Resident Evil, but i gave up with that after the dog jumps through the window so Quake was more a sustained horror experience of dreading every corner until the end. The sound design is incredible, the atmosphere so imposing, always much preferred it to Doom.

What sort of PC did this run on back in the day? I have vague memories of it and not understanding what all the fuss was about. My PC was sort of benchmarked around Network Q Rally Championship. I'm not sure my PC was capable of running it for some reason.

I only got into PC games in late '98, shortly after Half-Life was released, so I missed out on Quake and only really played the shareware demo. I've got the first three games on Steam now, and there's still something quite charming about Q1 - the brown and boxy environments, controlling a camera with a gun sellotaped to the bottom that slides around the maps, the gratuitous gibs from each kill. I've talked a bit about getting bored of pixel-art retro and rediscovering the "charm" of early 3D on PC and PS1 games... and there's something nice and economical about Q1's maps. You're not there for Half-Life levels of storytelling; you're running around hitting buttons and shooting things. :D 

And yes, mouselook. The moment you activate it, the rest of the level design immediately makes sense. Doom couldn't really have that much elevation, and even when it did you could often kill things that were above where you think you're aiming :P but Quake had the mouselook revolution that came before the twin-stick revolution.

Mouse look, textured polys, clearly you mofo's didn't play terminator future shock, It had both!

And before quake! 😛

I also remeber playing quake on the family  pentium 75!

It was a golden era. I remember many times hauling my family pc round to my mates house for Quake sessions. My sleep was horrific after 12 hours of quake multiplayer though. They need to fix that in the sequel. 

2 hours ago, 5R7 said:

Mouse look, textured polys, clearly you mofo's didn't play terminator future shock, It had both!

And before quake! 😛

I also remeber playing quake on the family  pentium 75!

That game was so ahead of its time. As was Descent.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

That game was so ahead of its time. As was Descent.

oh god Descent! how to feel dizzy and lost as fuck lol

and if anyone is interested in what im talking about with Terminator that didn't play it "back in the day", it can be found on Archive, as its not available to buy....and hasn't been for quite a while! sadly https://archive.org/details/TheTerminatorDoublePack-ZombsLair

The first PC game I ever bought (along with my first ever PC). Also introduced my to the slippery slope that is updating your video card as I also bought the orig 3dfx Voodoo so I could play it in even shiner graphics. I'd date that as around 97 though as it came with both "Mission Packs". I've lost literally days to this game and it's sequels but never played online until Q3 as we had no internet 😕 

Quake's definitely my favourite game of all time. PC Zone whipped me into a frenzy in the lead up to its release and I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I eventually got to play it, I couldn't understand how games could ever look better.

The multiplayer was my gateway drug to the internet, I spent every weekend rinsing my pocket money in Shoot n Surf in central London playing DM and Threewave CTF, pissing about on quakenet IRC and reading Blue's News. But I loved the single player game and all the custom maps so much, far more than the MP. Doom 2016 & Eternal get compared to it a lot but Quake on Nightmare is not really the same sort of game. You're not constantly pushing forward or running in circles killing everything, you also need to know when to take your time and use the map geometry to your advantage and shit yourself every time you enter a new area. And the movement just feels so fucking perfect.

There was also something really evocative about the contrast between the gothic horror worlds of Quake maps and the technical hoops you had to jump through to download, install them, and get them running at more than 15fps. It felt a bit like some kind of ancient evil had corrupted part of my PC and I had to hack my way in to confront it. In my defence I was 13, and reading a lot of sci-fi and fantasy.

Never really got on with any of the sequels but the first one is just the perfect game as far as I'm concerned. I still play it regularly, there are loads of amazing maps still being made for it  and doing really incredible things with the engine:

image.thumb.png.2d039ca915248108e7101f576c9b7c23.png

image.thumb.png.967867b8a8daf988909c26556f9bf8bc.png

image.png.fa8b227049f485c4158e1987048e0794.png

If you've got a copy of the original game handy I thoroughly recommend upgrading the engine to Quakespasm and getting the Arcane Dimensions partial conversion & map pack. AD is amazing and loads of other incredible modern maps use it

7 hours ago, layten said:

Today, Quake is 25 years old.

Usually the follow up to a genre defining megahit never quite lives up to expectations. ID only went and created quite possibly the most influential game of all time, with many of its ground breaking features copied to this day. I remember having my mind blown by the full 3D world and the speed it all moved around it, then that first weekend convincing a mate to cart his PC round to my place and pretty much not sleeping at all playing the multiplayer.

Also, I think Quake is responsible for the largest phone bill I have ever seen. I was not popular that day. :lol: 

Digital Foundry just recently did a superb piece on this game.

I hope ID are working on a new game in the series, especially with Microsoft's bottomless pockets paying for it all.

I watched this. It wasn't very interesting. The main guy has such a dull voice and kept putting in talking heads bits of himself where he was clearly looking off screen to read notes. If you want to see an interesting documentary on how a game is made, go check out the /noclip Doom documentary. Here, I'll even link it for you:

Yeah, brilliant, a bunch of Doom documentaries is definitely what I wanted to watch to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Quake :unsure:

Really enjoyed the DF:Retro video, having saved it until today to watch; if only to get to see a comparison of the different versions. As someone who only ever played software DOOM (on a cousin's 486, which struggled; and on my dad's P90, which struggled less), I was surprised at how, well, ugly GL Quake is! Really loses a lot of the atmosphere with the smoothing and gamma issues.

I regret that I never really played all that much of original Quake; Quake II and III were the only games I owned in the series, and they're very different beasts. II in particular is definitely more interesting for its engine than its gameplay, and III's strengths were rather lost on no-online-play me. I really should give the original a proper shake of the stick now that there's nobody to stop me buying and playing it!

I ran Quake pretty well on a 486DX2-66 at 320x240, albeit with a much smaller window size. Even a stable 30fps wasn't exactly common in those days.

Getting a Pentium 133 was a revelation though.

Man, I love Quake so much, it really was a pivotal game in so many people's lives. I've loved seeing all the tributes on Twitter throughout the day.

I'd love to see a Quake 1 reboot but modern id/Bethesda shouldn't make it. Almost none of the original team are still there and they all had a miserable time making it in the first place. If Doom 2016 and Quake Champions are anything to go by, their interpretation of the 'lore' (lol) would be incredibly cheesy, corporate and hamfisted, closer to Duke Nukem / Mortal Kombat / Gears of War than the original game's intentions. They'd put a Season Pass in it.

I'd be a bit happier with MachineGames taking a crack at it (they did an excellent tribute episode five years ago), but really I think it needs younger and more passionate/bonkers/experimental devs involved.

The nearest analogy I can think of is Twin Peaks The Return. A continuation, but at the same time radically beyond what could have been imagined 25 years ago. (Which doesn't just mean 'more detailed / with raytracing'.) No exposition dumps, no cutscenes, just dropped into a completely unexplained, ancient, hostile world. Making Quake guy a sad dad with a troubled backstory would be SO SO shit (it was amazing for Wolfenstein because Wolfenstein 3-D was bleepy dayglo nonsense, and turning it into a mad lurid Paul Verhoven spoof of a sad dad game is the only logical route).

Loads of people in the UK had shit PCs when Quake came out (including me*), quite often family PCs bought in Dixons a few years prior. Combined with the level of hassle involved in LAN gaming, it's not that surprising you still hear a lot of people not 'getting' it. Quake 1 deathmatch was the best game that existed on Earth for about a year after launch.

*When Quake came out I had a Pentium-75. It was months before I upgraded to a P-150 and bought a (Rendition) 3D card and a network card - serial port networking before then!

Further to PK's excellent post: I don't dip into Quake maps nearly enough, but Arcane Dimensions, Alkaline, and MachineGames' tribute episode are all amazing. 3D Realms just announced a new Quake 1 mission pack as well. You can make QuakeSpasm render the game like VQuake too, or at least much nearer to software than GLQuake, which always looked a bit blurry and crap imo. Last time I went down that rabbithole, I used Reshade to whack on some scanlines and give the oranges and reds a bit of phosphor glow (as it would have looked on CRT), it's gorgeous.

I'm reading David Craddock's Quake book at the moment. It's not anything hugely new (Masters of Doom covered a lot of the same ground) but holy shit Tim Willetts comes off badly.

I think Quake (and lots of the custom maps) share a bit of DNA with Dark Souls - there are broad similarities in their tentative gameplay interspersed with frenetic action, their spawling gothic architecture that curves back on itself and has shortcuts to unlock, and the two games' general audio & visual aesthetic.

If anyone absolutely had to reboot Quake I'd love them to lean into that. Maybe not including a souls mechanic, but at least maintaining their shared design elements and spending almost no time directly delivering a storyline.

Although a version of Quake that had corpse running would be amazing too!

15 hours ago, PK said:

PC Zone whipped me into a frenzy in the lead up to its release

Thought I'd take a trip down memory lane and have a read of their review 

image.png.e6051e0741b3f5976c17a0a1924bf7dd.png

Might just leave it there. The past is a strange place.

13 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I watched this. It wasn't very interesting. The main guy has such a dull voice and kept putting in talking heads bits of himself where he was clearly looking off screen to read notes. 

I quite like DF Retro, but this episode went way too far into the weeds for me in terms of how the game looked on different 90s graphics cards. And yeah, if you're going to film yourself as a talking head, don't keep looking away from the lens to read your notes. It reminded me of Thornton Reed in Darkplace and the way he kept glancing at things off-camera.

This brings back memories of playing multiplayer Quake on the office LAN at lunch time. We only had 30 minutes for lunch so we'd stuff our lunch down in less than 5 minutes and then cram 25 minutes of deathmatch in.

We loved the custom maps created by the community particularly the ones made by these guys.

Sten 'ztn' Uusvali

Dennis 'Headshot' Kaltwasser

I seem to remember one of the guys in the office created an application to read the information outputted by the server related to the deaths and kills to then display a leader board on a website after the deathmatch finished.

Happy days.

When I was in student halls a guy came back from campus one day with a Quake pre alpha spanned across a dozen or so floppies. Even though there was very little gameplay it was clear that it Doom and Duke Nukem 3d were now obsolete (and I only became aware of them a few months earlier being an Amiga & SNES person). I remember some of the enemies were still wireframe!