IGNORED

Contraband

Boozy The Clown

https://www.windowscentral.com/contraband

When it comes to Contraband, we don't have a ton of "official" information. More specifically, we have this description: "A co-op smuggler's paradise set in the fictional world of 1970s Bayan." Beyond that, we know that Avalanche is using the latest version of its powerful Apex Engine to deliver its most ambitious open-world yet, similar to how the Just Cause series is infamous for pairing prettier-than-life worlds with larger-than-life action-packed moments.

That being said, we have seen some internal documentation from the game that gives us a good idea of what to expect from Contraband as far as gameplay and features are concerned. Keep in mind, all of this is subject to change throughout Contraband's development.

Open-world vehicular combat

While Contraband's focus is on co-op heists, the delivery method is the vehicles. Contraband is reportedly "vehicle-first," with your vehicle being a crucial and wildly customizable tool. Using vehicles, players will be able to maximize their defensive and offensive power as they explore Contraband's diverse open world. Of course, vehicles will also feature a wealth of different utilities, tools, and potential upgrades so that players can outfit them for their playstyle and specific heists.

Because of Contraband's central vehicular gameplay, combat is also most prominent on wheels rather than on foot. Most interestingly, it seems that Contraband considers guns to be a last resort for players rather than as the initial response to danger. Vehicular combat is more dynamic and fluid, as players and enemies both wish to avoid damaging smuggled goods and treasures at any cost. That means the end goal for both you and your enemies is to disable and stop vehicles rather than destroy them.

Vehicular combat is notoriously difficult to nail, but Avalanche's pedigree makes me confident they'll be able to pull it off. The focus on "non-lethal" combat is especially interesting, and ties into Contraband's overarching theme of heists and thievery over needless violence.

A game built on the great vehicular combat from MAD MAX and building your cars, vans or trucks into Juggernauts to either steal or smuggle "drugs ?" Set in the 70s on an Asian Pacific Island involving booby traps and heist planning. Could be pretty cool. 

It's hard to tell without any gameplay, but in theory that sounds amazing. I love chunky 70s vehicle handling, especially in a knockabout open world. I've not played Mad Max, but if it has the weighty powersliding of Driver and the rough-and-tumble action of Wreckfest, it could be brilliant. I'm kind of hoping that 'vehicle combat' is more about pushing people off cliffs or into oncoming traffic rather than miniguns strapped to the wings, but I guess some Spy Hunter style options (stingers etc) could be fun. Being able to get out of the cars for some on-foot combat and car-swapping also sounds sweet.

I particularly like the 'jack rather than destroy' idea, as assaulting convoys and carjacking are some of my favourite activities in open world games like GTA and Ghost Recon Wildlands. It's easy to blow up a target vehicle, but bringing a convoy to a stop by blocking the road or sniping the driver, before kidnapping the HVT in the back seat, never gets old.

10 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

https://www.windowscentral.com/contraband

A game built on the great vehicular combat from MAD MAX and building your cars, vans or trucks into Juggernauts to either steal or smuggle "drugs ?" Set in the 70s on an Asian Pacific Island involving booby traps and heist planning. Could be pretty cool. 

19 minutes ago, Pob said:

I particularly like the 'jack rather than destroy' idea, as assaulting convoys and carjacking are some of my favourite activities in open world games like GTA and Ghost Recon Wildlands. It's easy to blow up a target vehicle, but bringing a convoy to a stop by blocking the road or sniping the driver, before kidnapping the HVT in the back seat, never gets old.

The description from those internal documents reminded me of Smuggler's Run on PS2 and was also a DLC for GTA V Online.