Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

8 hours ago, deerokus said:

Arsenal lost to Hibs. Farmer's league etc. 

This goal is amusing. 

It's not an Arsenal pre-season if a full back doesn't fuck up a back pass

1 hour ago, Mike1812 said:

Just when you thought the EFL couldn't get any shitter.  What a decision. Fucking hell. 

Risdale and his agent son were involved in our club during admin as advisers. Yannick Bolasie was sold to Bristol City for £20k. He was worth at least £1m. 

I cannot stand the guy. He also helped Leeds into the third tier. 

What a scumbag he is.

For anybody that likes watching the money side of football Barca are amazing at the moment - having paid €120m for Griezman only 2y ago they are now trying to swap him out to Athleti for Saul purely to get his €25m+ wages off the books.

It's spectacular financial mismanagement and whilst Laporte didn't cause it must be a nightmare to try and sort out

9 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Messi plus 10 youth team players in the first team starting line up for match day 1. 

All they need when it comes to La Liga right? What will happen when Messi finally calls it a day, which is nearer than they probably want to think about?

14 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

Just when you thought the EFL couldn't get any shitter.  What a decision. Fucking hell. 

12 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Risdale and his agent son were involved in our club during admin as advisers. Yannick Bolasie was sold to Bristol City for £20k. He was worth at least £1m. 

I cannot stand the guy. He also helped Leeds into the third tier. 

What a scumbag he is.

Peter Risdale is STILL around?  He's a total asshole.

35 minutes ago, Gotters said:

For anybody that likes watching the money side of football Barca are amazing at the moment - having paid €120m for Griezman only 2y ago they are now trying to swap him out to Athleti for Saul purely to get his €25m+ wages off the books.

It's spectacular financial mismanagement and whilst Laporte didn't cause it must be a nightmare to try and sort out

It does feel this whole Barca is going to end with someone going to a lot of jail.

On 14/07/2021 at 07:17, Azrael said:

Patricio leaves Wolves, thats a big loss for them and for the (fantasy) league. 

I'm actually okay with this - we've got a good fee for a keeper approaching the final year of his contract who has given us 3 years' service, 2 of which were outstanding, and we're about to sign Jose Sa as his replacement for a much lower fee.  He's a decent replacement and I wouldn't be surprised to see him making the Portugal squad if he performs well for us.

Rui has been an absolute gent during his time here - at his best, he's the best keeper I've seen in a Wolves shirt.  But last season his standards were well below those he set in his first 2 years.

I hope he does well at Roma - a proper gent and a great pro. 

I'm expecting Neves to leave before the start of the season - now that would be devastating, not that I'd begrudge him a move.  I absolutely love the guy but he deserves Champions League football.

2 hours ago, davidcotton said:

All they need when it comes to La Liga right? What will happen when Messi finally calls it a day, which is nearer than they probably want to think about?

That they just signed him to a 5 year contract at the age of 34 does rather suggest they're doing their best not to think about it.

Ajer from Celtic to Brentford. 13.5m with add ons it seems. 

Very good money for us for a guy in the last year of his contract. Still seems wild to me that Brentford have so much money. 

Ajer should do well in England, he's not nearly as good a talent as Van Dijk or Tierney but he's a good centre back with decent passing who always gives his all. 

Don't Brentford generate their budget from smart buys and big sales themselves, like Ollie Watkins and Benrahma.

Aren't they owned by some tech sports/gambling data guy and they use this to evaluate players and pick up underrated talent with big upside when it comes good. 

just put in the research as this is important stuff.

44005 days from 22nd Jan 1901 when Queen Vic croaked it

17th April 1961 when Spurs won title (on a Monday !) by beating Sheff Weds 2-1 at home

22,000 days between those 2 dates.

FACT.

27 minutes ago, JamesTW said:

Why are they so hated then? Im not from London or the south but ive gathered Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham fans maybe other teams in London hate Tottenham the most, why?

The fans (or I should say a large majority of the fans) have serious delusions of grandeur. I'm a West Ham fan and I know we're shit but as long as the team tries and we give it a good go with the occasional cup run I'm happy. Most Arsenal fans know they're underachieving but accept they're not in the best place right now. Chelsea are a bit of an anomaly in that they have the money and the team but a good portion of the fans don't expect constant success (I could be wrong, I think we only have @Dudley here as a Chelsea fan?) Palace fans are a bit like West Ham fans in that they want to see some good football and a team that tries (they may actually get the good football now Roy has gone) and last and definitely least are the mighty Spurs; biggest team in London beginning with T with the fans who think they should be conquering Europe every season and giving an annual shoeing to Barcelona and Madrid, while pitying their North London neighbours and calling West Ham derogatory names.

(I know I've missed a few London clubs but Spurs fans have contempt for their London Premier rivals* so jeebus knows what they think of the Championship and lower clubs) 

*aware Brentford are not listed! They're new boys and I'm happy to see them in the top div.

On 15/07/2021 at 15:52, deerokus said:

Still seems wild to me that Brentford have so much money. 

We do OK in the transfer market.

E2eFJg8XEAAowiS.jpg.455aa06d039b6b3fea283d035deec062.jpg

(again, special thanks to Villa for paying for our new Stadium :lol: )

20 minutes ago, Scruff said:

The fans (or I should say a large majority of the fans) have serious delusions of grandeur. I'm a West Ham fan and I know we're shit but as long as the team tries and we give it a good go with the occasional cup run I'm happy. Most Arsenal fans know they're underachieving but accept they're not in the best place right now. Chelsea are a bit of an anomaly in that they have the money and the team but a good portion of the fans don't expect constant success (I could be wrong, I think we only have @Dudley here as a Chelsea fan?) Palace fans are a bit like West Ham fans in that they want to see some good football and a team that tries (they may actually get the good football now Roy has gone) and last and definitely least are the mighty Spurs; biggest team in London beginning with T with the fans who think they should be conquering Europe every season and giving an annual shoeing to Barcelona and Madrid, while pitying their North London neighbours and calling West Ham derogatory names.

(I know I've missed a few London clubs but Spurs fans have contempt for their London Premier rivals* so jeebus knows what they think of the Championship and lower clubs) 

*aware Brentford are not listed! They're new boys and I'm happy to see them in the top div.

Lols what a load of rubbish, Spurs fans have long been self deprecating and famous for valuing the style of football played over results if it comes to it. I’m sure there are plenty of more modern fans who exhibit some of the delusions as you say but that’s not the outlook of the majority and much like AFTV I’m sure as a non fan of the club your opinion is based upon those who shout the loudest on social media.

Ive not met a Spurs fan that has any expectations going into any game let alone a season / cup / Europe and certainly wherever I’ve sat in the ground or any podcast I’ve listened to backs that up.

Have to agree with Shimmy here - that’s just not true of any Spurs fan who has supported the club for longer than the last few years, because we’ve lived through some awful football. If any club picks up young fans while the club is doing well, of course that’s what they’re going to expect. Look at the way younger Man Utd/Arsenal fans who just grew up in the Ferguson/Wenger eras react to failure. Personally I always expect the worst, because I’ve supported Spurs since the late 70s and although I’ve seen them win a few cups, it’s mostly ‘nearlys’ and a good 20 years where we were utter shit.

I think the pile on against Spurs is a bit of the bucket of crabs mentality playing out at club level, just like it did with England fans during the Euros.  Basically it's funny for complicated but stupid reasons, we'd all rather see a team who already wins continuing to win because it's easier to deal with than seeing a new face get ahead, especially if they don't appear to have an unfair advantage like oil money.