IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

I am ripping off Owen Slot at the times but it’s true: the nadir of the sport was reached when awarding the World Cup to Qatar where it is illegal to be homosexual. If, as a governing body of a sport, you make a decision like that then “anything goes”. There are no principles left to uphold. 

I support Burnley. I am a season ticket holder but I take interest in nothing else in the sport. Tunnel vision. Until it’s over for us too.

23 minutes ago, GaryC said:

I am ripping off Owen Slot at the times but it’s true: the nadir of the sport was reached when awarding the World Cup to Qatar where it is illegal to be homosexual. If, as a governing body of a sport, you make a decision like that then “anything goes”. There are no principles left to uphold. 

I support Burnley. I am a season ticket holder but I take interest in nothing else in the sport. Tunnel vision. Until it’s over for us too.

@Plissken we found the other one.

2 hours ago, dizogg said:

Anyone else thinking of boycotting Qatar? Not that it’ll make a difference of course. But it’ll make me feel better.

Yup, that was my plan too.

With that said, and maybe I’ll get FOMO nearer the time, and have my resolve tested, at the moment I’m sufficiently disillusioned with the whole thing that it barely even feels like a hardship (which further devalues an already fairly insignificant gesture, I suppose).

I’m still following the team I’ve always supported (Arsenal), almost purely out of habit, and up until the pandemic was actually still going to games fairly regularly - I actually had tickets for the first game called off due to Coronavirus - but I barely watch anything else these days, even at International level, and am generally finding it increasingly hard to care about any of it.

4 hours ago, dizogg said:

Anyone else thinking of boycotting Qatar? Not that it’ll make a difference of course. But it’ll make me feel better.

I will be, not only is it the right thing to do, but I'm pretty certain I wouldn't be able to enjoy it anyway knowing it was built on slave labour. I do wish the players would take a stand against it, though, that's the only way anyone will take any notice.

14 hours ago, dizogg said:

Chances are I won't but then I watch Qatar's MotoGP races and I dare say I'll watch the F1 race there so...

Speaking of motogp, maybe this is a chance for some people to investigate other sports? Theres so much stuff that's really exciting to play or watch. 

Football is so ubiquitous that's it almost seems like nothing else exists unless there's a Emma Radacannu type scenario.

Ireland have been pretty poor since Robinson's goal. Idah seems to be out of sorts, Horgan's been very slack in possession, and Azerbaijan are allowed to dominate the possession. And yet, thanks again to Robinson, it's 2-0.

Ireland could have had five or six tonight, which is a plus, but the way in which they still allowed Azerbaijan opportunities means there's still plenty of work to be done. The third quarter of the match though, that was where it all should have been killed off with Robinson and Duffy having great chances, and McClean really should have squared for Idah.

Happy to finally have that competitive duck of Kenny's gone, though. 

The Scotland game was brilliant. They should have won it before McTominay scored the winner in injury time and I was expecting Israel to snatch it at the end with how lax some of the Scotland defending had been. Great atmosphere as well. 

Sam Matterface deriding Andorra for time wasting after somehow missing in the replay that Chilwell stood on the goalkeepers arm :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, petrolgirls said:

Here's a question, for Scotlands second - was Dykes yellow card rescinded then? One of those odd ones as VAR isn't meant to intervene over yellows but, in allowing the goal, the yellow was clearly given in error. 

Yeah I think it was. The ref was shown talking to Dykes after the goal was given and Dykes giving him a nod and thumbs up...

Foden has been magnificent.  He's a brilliant player - he can do pretty much anything on the pitch.  Tammy Abrahams is the main thing stopping England being four or five up by half time.  I know the pitch isn't helping, but it takes him four touches to bring the ball under control.