Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

12 hours ago, Pockets said:

Not really these days. All teams are so international now it’s not exactly any different seeing Barcelona or Man City. The home and away two-legged nature was at the core of it and was lent extra excitement by the away goals. That’s just my opinion on it, clearly not yours. You don’t have to condescend like everyone’s dad all the time. 

As a Chelsea fan can I absolutely back you up that European football isn't different than playing Man City.

On 25/06/2021 at 14:07, Disgraced Toblerone said:

LOSC budget : 147M€

PSG budget : 640M€

Edit : That said, of course the vast difference between budgets is a problem.

I think french rugby top 14 has introduced two rules that makes it more unpredictable and interesting.

First, a salary cap. Obvious answer, but for football you'd have to implement it in all of europe. Difficult.

Second, and more interesting I think : on the whole year, each club should have on average a minimum of players in the team that are coming from their youth club. 

Probably worth mentioning that PSG have won 18 of the past 25 domestic honours (League, French Cup, French League Cup) that they competed in, plus the French Charity Shield 8 years in a row.  They won four domestic trebles between 2015 and 2020. Their utter domination of French football is totally down to their budget. This “off” year (where they still won the cup) is a blip, whereas the Lille team will break up due to the fact that they are pretty much bankrupt.  

Salary caps just aren’t going to happen in Europe unless we get a Super League and nobody wants that. 

The youth team idea is interesting but it’s just so open to abuse as all it means is that the clubs with the most money just spend it on the best youth players instead, and if incentivised by punitive rules for not fielding youth academy graduates they might just rip the hearts out of other clubs academies before those players have chance to develop a fair value.  

Truth is it’s all fucked.  No matter what solution you think of, the top clubs (including ones we all support) have the motivation  and resources to make sure they have brighter and better people to spend all day every thinking  about how to get around it.  

And salary caps continue to have their problems.  Most budget caps tend to exclude them in elite sports because it'd be very easy for say, Yokohama's contract with Chelsea to be reduced by £10m and them pay £1m each to 10 players as a "consultant / advert star / ambassador".

Yes. That’s what happens with Cristiano Ronaldo at Juventus. He’s sponsored by Fiat (who also just happen to own Juve) in a move which is definitely not designed to keep some of his salary off the books.  The workers at Fiat called a strike ballot over it.  

On 27/06/2021 at 10:50, Naysonymous said:

Yes. That’s what happens with Cristiano Ronaldo at Juventus. He’s sponsored by Fiat (who also just happen to own Juve) in a move which is definitely not designed to keep some of his salary off the books.  The workers at Fiat called a strike ballot over it.  

The F1 budget cap explicitly excludes driver salaries for this reason.

There's a million more holes in the budget cap of a sport where a lot of your money is spent with suppliers, some of whom a sister company might own, of course.

Eddie Howe seems to be being completely shut out of the running for any of these jobs. I wouldn't be unhappy if whatever happened with us a has put off other clubs - he was apparently even providing signing targets and deciding what to do with out of contract players before he decided not to take the job for mystery reasons. Either he was stringing us along and it backfired, or he really did refuse because he couldn't get his exact same coaching team. Either is a bad look. 

On 29/06/2021 at 13:01, DirkCrisis said:

Viera to Palace? May be a good move but I haven't really paid too much attention to his managerial career. At least he knows what he's in for here.

I'm not feeling very positive, he's been available the whole time yet wasn't considered as ana option until we we faied to land our first 2 choices.

It's not like he has set the world alight in his last couple of jobs.

Oh well, wouldn't be Palace if it was logical.

Normally I'd say your lack of positivity is misplaced because Palace are always OK and I guess they always finish above Brighton so that keeps the fans happy. New manager and half a new team needed though is a tall order. Well, it's not I guess, rather it's a multi-season project which fans and owners have to be patient with. And assuming you have tolerant owners with a long term plan it could work.

TBH, I can see the Palace/Newcastle/Southampton/Brighton/Burnley occupying those places above the bottom three for a while yet. Unless one of us implodes or manages to work out a way to push on.

Messi is a free agent.

That need to reduce the wage bill might actually force him to move. I doubt it but you never know. I expect he'll stay. 

I can't imagine him in a different shirt. 

If I was him, I'd play for free now. He's probably got two or maybe three seasons left and doesn't need money. 148 caps for Argentina is incredible.

I wouldn't pay for free, simply because whichever team he signs for is going to make a fortune off him.  It will be weird seeing him in a Man City shirt.  I mean different one.

-Messi moves to Essex.
-Starts new team.

-Recruits Finnish female star Essi Sainio.

-Recruits Man U women's forward Lessi Russo.

-Convinces Michael Essien to come out of retirement.

-Voila! The Essex Essi's are born.

I'm trying to form some "Spurs have NES, Chelsea have the Master System" style joke but it's pretty much impossible to phrase without it sounding like I'm accusing Thomas Tuchel of being a nazi.

8 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I'm trying to form some "Spurs have NES, Chelsea have the Master System" style joke but it's pretty much impossible to phrase without it sounding like I'm accusing Thomas Tuchel of being a nazi.

:lol:

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

If there's one person on this forum you can take as read when they mention obscure leagues and team, it's @Fry Crayola. And you doubted him, for shame!

Everyone has Google. It's not amazing. He's not Statto. 

I bet he knows nothing of The Jewson South Western League. 

Marco Silva has been confirmed as the new Fulham manager. He was good for a bit at Watford, he was a bit shit at Everton but who isn't? He seems to start well and burn out which has been the opposite of every manager we've had for a while back so it should be a fun season down in the championship next year!