IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

I haven't seen enough of Utd to have a view on his overall play but impressive that Pogba has 7 assists already, the finishing is helping his stat somewhat as those assists created a combined xG of only 1.25.

Is he creating lots of better chances too that aren't getting buried ?

it's like when Ozil used to give it to Ronaldo at Madrid on halfway and add another one to the assist column as he took it up the pitch and banged one in.

17 hours ago, Plissken said:

If you want some searing insight into Cristiano Ronaldo, just read these wise words from Steve Bruce after the match.

The most remarkable thing is that Ronaldo and Bruce are effectively polar opposites.

But they still manage to secure the same good results at Old Trafford.

It goes to show, there isn't just one way to succeed in life.

Only seen it once and the way his ankle flopped looks like a very bad dislocation or break, but on the basis of that one viewing it does look like the red was for the injury not so much the tackle.

It wasn't scything, didn't seem to have excessive force or intent, it was a bad tangle of legs and Elliot got very unlucky. 

I may be wrong but don't really want to watch replays of what I think are bad injuries.

No way is that a red card tackle.  Did the ref even give the foul initially?

Purely sent off due to the very nasty injury that resulted, despite whatever Martin Tyler would have you believe.

I thought you weren’t meant to tackle from being like that for about 30 years now. I know people do and sometimes pull off decent tackles, but in general sliding in from behind isn’t meant to happen, whatever you think of that. 

I think some of the anti Liverpool fans are the ones saying it’s fine - I get it, if that had happened to Ronaldo yesterday I’d have struggled to find much wrong with anything but objectively, it is a bad foul. I think he means to be ‘physical’ rather than harmful but he goes in unnecessarily firmly. From behind. 

Do none of you think it’s a bit distasteful to be outraged at someone being sent off for that? Like maybe just keep your thoughts to yourself whilst there’s a kid with a career threatening injury on his way to hospital.

1 minute ago, dizogg said:

Do none of you think it’s a bit distasteful to be outraged at someone being sent off for that? Like maybe just keep your thoughts to yourself whilst there’s a kid with a career threatening injury on his way to hospital.

Indeed, even if it was completely innocuous, the sending off isn’t really the issue. 

4 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Of course not because it's Liverpool and obviously the team we're playing are now a man down are clearly being mistreated unfairly, despite our young 18 year old player having his bone snapped. Gotta keep those priorities in football rivalry going above all else :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Azrael said:

If it results in a nasty injury then surely it was a dangerous challenge. 

Is it a terrible injury ,yes absolutely , is it always a dangerous tackle, no. having seen both antonio valencia having his leg broke from what was little more than a coming together, no red, and luke shaws was his leg getting stuck in the ground, no red.

Shit, i broke my elbow falling over! Just being at the wrong angle at the wrong time.

But, they often send off if there is an injury.

Just now, Stoppy2000 said:

Son broke someone's leg the other season. Was sent off and it was rescinded on appeal (correctly). 

This isn't proving a point, Son still got a red card. The Leeds player might get his recinded but in the moment, the ref sees a player get his leg broken, he's going to send the tackler off.

4 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

This isn't proving a point, Son still got a red card. The Leeds player might get his recinded but in the moment, the ref sees a player get his leg broken, he's going to send the tackler off.

It being rescinded proves it is the wrong decision. The ref gets caught up in the horrific nature of the injury. 

14 minutes ago, dizogg said:

Didn’t you once get banned for wishing Mason Greenwood would get his legs broken?