Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

1 hour ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I don't care much for international football, but I'd quite like the World Cup to shift a couple of years and fuse as football's Olympics.

You mean played at the same time and in the same country as the summer games?

That'll never happen.

2 hours ago, neoELITE said:

The England game Vs Poland. 

How is this not a red card? 

Screenshot_20210910_071429.thumb.jpg.429bd90826320a1a48c0cab1a9f12de4.jpg

Right in front of the referee. Pinching Walker's skin. Walker did very well not to react to that physically. 

That Polish player in particular got away with murder all match. I was wondering if he'd kidnapped the referee's family or something. He looks the type, frankly.

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

That picture doesn't look as bad as the angle shown live on TV.  He really seemed to grab him pretty roughly to me at the time.

Yeah.  He did it repeatedly too. If you did that to someone in the street in front of a police man, you'd actually be arrested for assault. 

It's fine to do that in an International Football match apparently. 

This goes on, it's gamesmanship but it usually happens when the officials aren't two feet away from the incident with a clear view of what's happening. 

47 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Yeah, and I'm with you that it won't. Just something I'd like.

logistically either is a bit much for any single country. Both would be insane, and hotel prices way out there

16 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I wouldn't like it. I watch the entire World Cup, so I'd basically not get to see any of the Olympics and still eat, sleep and see family.

Yeah, I can't imagine and broadcasters would want it either, because they'd all be cannibalising the audience amongst each other. At least as it stands the focus is just on one thing (be it the Olympics/Euros/WC etc.) 

FIFA can dress this up all they want about being for the smaller associations, democratisation of the international game blah blah blah.

They've always had their nose put out of joint by the rise of the Champions League and the prestige/money it's given club football & UEFA and are desperate to get a slice of that pie back the only way they know how. More world cups.

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

FIFA can dress this up all they want about being for the smaller associations, democratisation of the international game blah blah blah.

They've always had their nose put out of joint by the rise of the Champions League and the prestige/money it's given club football & UEFA and are desperate to get a slice of that pie back the only way they know how. More world cups.

Yep. The Club World Cup is a non-starter because in it's current format it's a two-game marketing jaunt for the European and South American sides, and the proposed tournament revamp is a watered down Champions League played with a fraction of the clubs at a time when most consider the season over and done with.

International football is FIFA's only cash cow and they want to graft another set of udders to it in the hope that'll persuade it to pump out more milk.

If FIFA actually gave a flying fuck about the game it'd be a non-profit organisation feeding all of those billions back into the federations that need the investment.

10 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Rather pissed off I decided to veg out on the sofa and watch twitch rather than the Palace vs Spurs match.

Who were the better team before the sending off? 

Palace were but they didn't really look like scoring. Spurs were fucking atrocious though. This is what Nuno is going to bring. We'd been riding our luck. It's all downhill from here...

(Still 9 points clear of arsenal)

Palace look a different team under Viera, that said just moving over the half way line and looking to attack qualifies as a whole new approach. 

Spurs again proving you can't outrun xG for long - they'd created less xG than Wolves (who have zero points compared to Spurs' 9) and had given up quite a bit themselves without conceding. It catches up with most teams eventually. 

Now for a masterclass of cohesive play as the all new Arsenal team teach Norwich a lesson they won't forget. 

2 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Palace look a different team under Viera, that said just moving over the half way line and looking to attack qualifies as a whole new approach. 

Spurs again proving you can't outrun xG for long - they'd created less xG than Wolves (who have zero points compared to Spurs' 9) and had given up quite a bit themselves without conceding. It catches up with most teams eventually. 

Now for a masterclass of cohesive play as the all new Arsenal team teach Norwich a lesson they won't forget. 

Half the team missing and a sending off more likely the cause of that performance than xG catching up - awful performance of course but massive hang over from internationals / isolating / injuries.

3 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Half the team missing and a sending off more likely the cause of that performance than xG catching up - awful performance of course but massive hang over from internationals / isolating / injuries.

Let's not forget we've been shit in all 4 games so far. We've just somehow won 3 of them. 

Spurs put up next to nothing today, missing players or not you had a decent line up out there.

We were the better team before the sending off, I'd hope we would have won it anyway.

I was VERY worried about Viera after Brentford, but he's added a confidence to our play that I haven't seen in years.

5 minutes ago, skadupuk said:

Spurs put up next to nothing today, missing players or not you had a decent line up out there.

We were the better team before the sending off, I'd hope we would have won it anyway.

I was VERY worried about Viera after Brentford, but he's added a confidence to our play that I haven't seen in years.

We did not have a decent lineup. Missing Son, Bergwijn, Sanchez and Lo Celso (plus Romero who hasn't played much yet). Winks and Skipp in midfield. Totally garbage. Without the red card it had 0-0 written all over it. But it was a definite red so we asked for it. 

Nuno had less impact on this game than me. 

Given the hype around the Second Coming, here is an interesting stat I was just reading.

Portugal's top scorer is Ronaldo with 111 international goals.

For Brazil it's Pele with 78.

Germany is Miroslav Klose on 71.

Argentina is Leo Messi with 70

England, Wayne Rooney on 53.

France's top scorer is Thierry Henry with 51.

Most of those were set in the modern era, with Neymar's 70 chasing down Pele. 

Have a guess how many the top scorer for Italy, winners of four World Cups, two European Championships and many trips to the finals has got.

Spoiler

35, held by Luigi Riva, who scored the last of them in 1973.  The two behind him are pre-WWII.  Fourth are Alessandro Del Piero (27 - 2006) and Roberto Baggio (27, 1998). 

6 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

We did not have a decent lineup. Missing Son, Bergwijn, Sanchez and Lo Celso (plus Romero who hasn't played much yet). Winks and Skipp in midfield. Totally garbage. Without the red card it had 0-0 written all over it. But it was a definite red so we asked for it. 

Nuno had less impact on this game than me. 

It's subjective, you had a decent line up against a Palace team, maybe not Chelsea or Man City.

The most effort Kane made all game was complaining about the penalty, he's hardly your second string.

28 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Given the hype around the Second Coming, here is an interesting stat I was just reading.

Portugal's top scorer is Ronaldo with 111 international goals.

For Brazil it's Pele with 78.

Germany is Miroslav Klose on 71.

Argentina is Leo Messi with 70

England, Wayne Rooney on 53.

France's top scorer is Thierry Henry with 51.

Most of those were set in the modern era, with Neymar's 70 chasing down Pele. 

Have a guess how many the top scorer for Italy, winners of four World Cups, two European Championships and many trips to the finals has got.

Hide contents

35, held by Luigi Riva, who scored the last of them in 1973.  The two behind him are pre-WWII.  Fourth are Alessandro Del Piero (27 - 2006) and Roberto Baggio (27, 1998). 

Italy were all about the defending though, so that isn't all that much of a surprise (unlike the stat that this Euros was the first time they had scored than 2 in a group stage match, which did surprise me.) 

41 minutes ago, skadupuk said:

It's subjective, you had a decent line up against a Palace team, maybe not Chelsea or Man City.

The most effort Kane made all game was complaining about the penalty, he's hardly your second string.

A striker with zero service is not going to do much no matter how good they are. He did look a bit knackered though. But when he looks at the midfield and see's Harry Winks on the ball it's understandable that he didn't bother to make any runs. 

Palace deserved the win no doubt. 

Did Newcastle keeper triple cpt Ronaldo in his fantasy team ?

Plus good news Arsenal finally have a league goal to get the club Sept goal of the month competition going, which was rolled over in August

42 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

A striker with zero service is not going to do much no matter how good they are. He did look a bit knackered though. But when he looks at the midfield and see's Harry Winks on the ball it's understandable that he didn't bother to make any runs. 

Palace deserved the win no doubt. 

The real issue with Harry Winks is that he doesn't score dinks.

I have NO idea what his dad was thinking, but he should have been practicing that from day 1.