IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

People might think I'm mad, but it feels like Lingard might make an impact here. I'd bring him on for Mount. Lingard wouldn't be as disciplined as Mount, but I think he's more likely to make something happen against this defence. He moves the ball quicker than Mount.

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

That's the thing - I don't know if VDB would work very well in a partnership with Pogba or Matic. If Fred had been available, I suspect we would have played VDB and Fred together, but this possibly makes it less likely VDB plays.  I don't know, Pogba and Matic might be worse, so maybe Donny will play.

I remember when you bought VDB and everyone was saying is he really what Man U need......a year or so on, it seems not!

7 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

I remember when you bought VDB and everyone was saying is he really what Man U need......a year or so on, it seems not!

Yeah, it seemed like quite a strange signing at the time, didn't it?  Apparently Solskjaer didn't particularly want him, but we signed him because the price was decent.  It's a bit like when you go into a shop and there's quite a nice saucepan or something on sale and even though you've got a perfectly good set of saucepans at home you buy it because it's cheap. So you just end up with this new saucepan taking up space in your cupboards while you continue to use your old pans. Then Everton come round and ask if they can borrow a saucepan and you tell them to fuck off.  

That one is on the manager. Not a single substitution in a tough game like that. You could see Poland were going for it towards the end, big gaps were appearing in the midfield, and the England players were looking exhausted. Bring on Henderson or someone! It kills their momentum, gives us some fresh legs, and it kills some time!

He needs to wise up a bit, and trust his bench a bit more. The players did nothing wrong really, the only thing I would say is, near the end Lewandowski fouled Kane and Kane pretty much just got back up. If it had been the other way round Lewandowski would have been rolling around and would have taken an age to get back up. We've got better at that sort of thing but we've still got a way to go, just need to be a bit smarter at seeing the game out.

Gareth Southgate clearly has anti Birmingham bias in his team selections as Bellingham is only get picked now he's at Dortmund too.

I fully agree that he should keep picking the old formations & players and my team would still have Rooney, Lampard & Gerrrard in midfield because players never get better or older and the manager can never adapt his plans or selections over time.

There's definitely a feeling that the midlands clubs, and the midlands in general is overlooked within the midlands, and I personally think there is something to this, but I don't believe this is the case with Grealish.

He wasn't going to get anywhere while playing in the championship, but since promotion he's been brought into the squad and has been gradually introduced.  He's shown himself to be capable and Southgate feels comfortable playing him.

There's no anti-Villa / Midlands bias in this case.

14 hours ago, Rockboy said:

That one is on the manager. Not a single substitution in a tough game like that. You could see Poland were going for it towards the end, big gaps were appearing in the midfield, and the England players were looking exhausted. Bring on Henderson or someone! It kills their momentum, gives us some fresh legs, and it kills some time!

He needs to wise up a bit, and trust his bench a bit more. The players did nothing wrong really, the only thing I would say is, near the end Lewandowski fouled Kane and Kane pretty much just got back up. If it had been the other way round Lewandowski would have been rolling around and would have taken an age to get back up. We've got better at that sort of thing but we've still got a way to go, just need to be a bit smarter at seeing the game out.

He needs to get a lot better. A semi and a final so far?

You're right under par.

Big Sam would have seen that out!

So this whole World Cup every two years is generating a bit more noise and one of the arguments is that 133 countries ha e never been to a World Cup and that it being more frequent will spread more money around the game. The comparison against it being diluted is made for the CL being played every year without harming it. 

On the first point, what I don't get is how it is envisioned that the money would go to countries that need the most investment - it would mean a number of countries voting against their own self-interest and I don't see how it changes the fact that the richest countries will get a bit richer too, thus keeping ahead of everybody else.

On the second point, haven't viewing numbers for the CL been falling? Even if not, how many people actually enjoy the pointless group games that infrequently throw up any interesting results?

The football needs to change, but Wenger's baby seems to be an answer to a question nobody would ever ask. 

Why would a World Cup every two years mean more and more teams get to qualify anyway.

They are already ramping up the numbers for 2026 - look forward to 16 (yes 16) groups of 3 teams each.

But the Easter Islands aren’t going to qualify if the World Cup is played every other month not just every two years.

Wenger’s proposals are 

The former Arsenal boss has a number of ideas, including:

A biennial World Cup in even years.

Confederation tournaments (including the European Championship) in odd years.

Either one (October) or two (October and March) mid-season international breaks, for a month in total, when qualifying for major tournaments will take place. Groups of four countries are envisaged, with a play-off, for a maximum of seven matches.

Guaranteed rest periods for players once tournaments are over.

So major tournaments every summer and then a month every year of Internationals to qualify for the yearly tournament.

Players burn out would be insane and no-one would give a fuck if EVERY summer England were playing in a tournament. 

It would become like the Champions League in that everyone would Mai my ignore it until the last couple of knockout stages.