IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

21 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Rise of the Premier League on bbc2 tonight at 9pm. 4 part series detailing the start of the premier league. all known football and associated records according to Sky

FTFY

Looks a good prog though, the story of the first tv deal with sky is always a good un

Ireland second best tonight in a sort of mid-tier league side versus lower tier league side way. They're getting a few balls forward and creating a few chances, conceded from a corner in a near carbon copy of Egan's goal against Portugal, but while it's 1-0 the games not over and doesn't look like petering out.

It's not really these games that's the concern though, it's the poor shows against teams Ireland ought to be beating. You could take creditable defeats against Portugal or Serbia of they were backed up elsewhere and see the promise in the rebuilding project. When they're not...

A lot of positives to take in that 1-1 draw but very few of them are in the final third. Omobamidele was superb and could nearly have won it, Doherty might have had his best game in an Ireland shirt, but it still took an own goal and some excellent stops from Bazunu to claim the draw.

If they can unearth some creativity from somewhere it'd make a world of difference. At times like this I think what if Grealish had stuck with them..

15 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Kevin Richardson?

Thanks for this. I looked him up and Google suggested I also search for Shaun Teale, which I think is the answer.

pesky Google!

shaun-teale.jpg

Upon reading his wiki he used to own a pub in Burscough which makes sense cos my colleague lives there. I guess that’s Numberwang.

Interesting further fallout from International week, Brazil invoked their rights to FIFA to block players that clubs didn't release from playing this weekend, Liverpool & City losing players.

I actually feel for all the clubs here as releasing players to go to red list countries is madness, if they have to quarantine anyway on return no point letting them go, may as well give them a rest.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58486811

I think that it is one of those situations where you can make a very valid argument for all sides.  I don't think FIFA has jurisdiction over the PL, but the extent of it is they could bar players from FIFA competitions (World Cup - but not qualifying).  The rest would be just politics.

Plus the article above explains that the international federations have a duty to return the players 'ready for duty' for their clubs, so the PL teams could argue that if a player has to quarantine and can't train or play then they have not been returned as required by FIFA's own articles.

10 minutes ago, Mike1812 said:

Bit unfair giving Man Utd the advantage of not being able to select Fred. 

You say that, but McTominay is out as well, so it does give United a serious problem.  A "we have to play Matic and Pogba in central midfield" sort of problem.  Thank god it's only Newcastle on Saturday.

I think the second one is misleading, from what I understand, the game between Wolves and Villa kicked off later than the other games in the league, probably got the prime time slot on Sky.

Reason this is brought up is because it was claimed Wolves scored the first ever league goal in the 1-1 draw, which it would have been if the game had kicked off at the same time as the others.

5 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

You say that, but McTominay is out as well, so it does give United a serious problem.  A "we have to play Matic and Pogba in central midfield" sort of problem.  Thank god it's only Newcastle on Saturday.

How many players do FIFA have to ban from playing for Donny van de Beek to get a game, assuming he isn't injured. 

That's the thing - I don't know if VDB would work very well in a partnership with Pogba or Matic. If Fred had been available, I suspect we would have played VDB and Fred together, but this possibly makes it less likely VDB plays.  I don't know, Pogba and Matic might be worse, so maybe Donny will play.