Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

2 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Sterling's going to end this match with more boos than Donut Ghost House.

Good. I hope he really annoys more Hungarian fans.

The difference in noise from the crowd between his goal and Kane’s says it all.

The whole situation with Hungary makes me sad and angry.  I actually quite like their team. I like the way they approached being drawn in a group with Germany, France, and Portugal. I especially like their history - Puskas, the Magical Magyars, etc. But you look behind that goal England are attacking and it's a sea of black shirts. I'm pretty sure I've even seen some nazi salutes, but it's hard to tell.

Worth remembering that the load behind their goal are the ultras and that the rest of the crowd seems pretty measured. 

Having said that, was a pretty sizeable number that were booing the taking of the knee. 

6 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Worth remembering that the load behind their goal are the ultras and that the rest of the crowd seems pretty measured. 

Having said that, was a pretty sizeable number that were booing the taking of the knee. 

And now doing monkey chants at Jude Bellingham warming up (and Sterling). Shouldn’t matter whether they’re ultras or not, it’s an absolute joke that this shit is tolerated and accepted by UEFA/FIFA.  How many more times does this need to happen? How many more ‘2 games behind closed doors’? Makes me sick.

4 minutes ago, Gabzy said:

Shouldn’t matter whether they’re ultras or not, it’s an absolute joke that this shit is tolerated and acceptable by UEFA. Makes me sick.

Which isn’t the point I was making. 

Also, has nothing to do with UEFA. It’s a World Cup game, so under FIFA’s jurisdiction. 

8 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Yeah, I realise that. I daresay the majority of Hungarians are deeply ashamed of that element of their support, although similarly to the problems we have in the UK with the same kind of scumbags, they have been emboldened and encouraged by their far-right government. The thing is though, the ultras seem to make up at least a quarter of their support!  That whole stand is full of blackshirts, and it's easily the most packed stand.

It's actually OK to acknowledge that other countries are more racist in general than ours. They are. The UK has an obvious problem with racism but there are places where it's worse, more overt and tolerated. It's deplorable in our country but we've seen this in Bulgaria and now Hungary and it's OK to condemn it without feeling you need to almost apologise for pointing out that a lot of European countries have a massive problem too and sometimes it is worse. To state that Hungary has an issue with racism is just stating a fact. 

I'm glad England beat them because of this. FIFA should fine the fuck out of the Hungarian FA. 

The booing of the knee happens at our ground but it's usually drowned out by applause.

This was all so obviously foreseeable. When UEFA banned Hungarian fans for 2 games the Foreign Minister called UEFA a bunch of communists and said there was no evidence of any racism. Then you have Orban empowering them with his right wing rhetoric. 

Ultimately UEFA and FIFA are spineless on racism and discrimination. They had the opportunity to stick 2 fingers up at Hungarian discrimination when German played them in the Euros. UEFA stopped the Germans from lighting up the stadium in the rainbow colours. 

37 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Anyway, do we reckon it'll be an entirely different starting XI on Sunday? I'd quite like to see Greenwood play (if he's even in the squad) are the run he's had for United.

Wholesale changes certainly. I’d not be surprised if John Stones starts again, he’s not featured for Manchester City yet this season so could probably use the minutes but beyond that you could make a case for 10 changes. 

I suspect not, but maybe some, a few, one of of the idiots who will be planning  to boo their own players on Sunday at Wembley might think twice after those players have been subjected to monkey chants tonight.

10 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Anyway, do we reckon it'll be an entirely different starting XI on Sunday? I'd quite like to see Greenwood play (if he's even in the squad) are the run he's had for United.

Sadly not in the squad.