IGNORED

Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

The new approach to refereeing certainly lets a lot of contact go and keeps the game flowing (Fabinho would've at least been booked last season), but I can understand Klopp's frustration when you have Azpilicueta dropping to the floor holding his face at the end after a slight shoulder push and that being given and stopping the game. As ever, the inconsistency is issue rather than the directive itself. 

1 hour ago, 5R7 said:

pen and red is double jeopardy, twice punished for one issue. and shouldnt happen anymore

Ridiculous. Any opposing team would take a penalty over a sure-fire goal, so if it wasn’t punishable with a red card you’d see it all the time.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Ridiculous. Any opposing team would take a penalty over a sure-fire goal, so if it wasn’t punishable with a red card you’d see it all the time.

true, but it wasn’t a massive and obvious movement of his hand to stop the ball going in. Play it in real time (rather than slow motion) and consider his body movement, and it’s a fraction of a second between it coming off his leg and bouncing into some part of his arm. Once it richoceted, there was fuck all he could do about it.

1 hour ago, footle said:

true, but it wasn’t a massive and obvious movement of his hand to stop the ball going in. Play it in real time (rather than slow motion) and consider his body movement, and it’s a fraction of a second between it coming off his leg and bouncing into some part of his arm. Once it richoceted, there was fuck all he could do about it.

I guess the rationale is  that having someone decide whether it was deliberate or not turns the debate into a matter of opinion. Maybe they want to remove any grey areas.  I think this one was very harsh on James, he almost certainly didn’t mean it but not every incident will be as clear cut as this one.  

I hope to be proved wrong but I really can’t see anything but relegation for us(Palace) this season, we have completely lost the defensive discipline that Hodgson instilled and made us hard to beat, and amazingly we look to have even less ideas going forward that before.

11 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I hope to be proved wrong but I really can’t see anything but relegation for us(Palace) this season, we have completely lost the defensive discipline that Hodgson instilled and made us hard to beat, and amazingly we look to have even less ideas going forward that before.

Wow another ex Arsenal player with the same ideas!

7 hours ago, footle said:

I wasn’t commenting on this specific incident - but in general, if an action has been ruled as handball and stopping a clear goalscoring opportunity, it must also be punishable with a red card. If that wasn’t the case you’d have defenders punching balls off the line all the time: it’s better to concede a penalty than a goal.

As for the James incident, it seemed harsh, but he did choose to stand on the goal line in front of where the ball was pinging around, with his arm waving around at his side. If his arm wasn’t there, Liverpool would have been level.

I've not seen the specific incident but I believe "Player being rush goalie" is the single way to get a penalty and a red these days for exactly that reason.

Also in no rational universe are Chelsea "Favourites for the league", that's City.  Compare the 2 Arsenal matches for some evidence.

But Chelsea are certainly in the group behind. Of course so are Liverpool.

11 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

We lost that defensive discipline last season under Hodgson, we conded 66 vs the 50 the season before,the 2 new centre halves look decent.

That second half performance should give a bit of optimism, when we actually put a shift in it started clicking (albeit Is till think we need a striker and a winger) and Gallacher looks like he could make a difference.

Crappy starting run of games, Spurs and Liverpool next (after Chelsea, Newly promoted team that plays wel lfor a few games and a strong West Ham) so we are always going to be struggling for points and sitting down the bottom for while.

I'm willing to wait and see who else we bring in and the fitness of Olise and (fingers crossed) Eze before getting to worried, this doesn't feel wuite like Frank De Boer...yet.

I'm mostly worried about the Brighton game at the end of September if we haven;'t got our shit together, they owe us big style for that, daylight robbery,  shithouse, Benteke in the 94th minute win attheir gaff last year. 

28 minutes ago, skadupuk said:

We lost that defensive discipline last season under Hodgson, we conded 66 vs the 50 the season before,the 2 new centre halves look decent.

That second half performance should give a bit of optimism, when we actually put a shift in it started clicking (albeit Is till think we need a striker and a winger) and Gallacher looks like he could make a difference.

Crappy starting run of games, Spurs and Liverpool next (after Chelsea, Newly promoted team that plays wel lfor a few games and a strong West Ham) so we are always going to be struggling for points and sitting down the bottom for while.

I'm willing to wait and see who else we bring in and the fitness of Olise and (fingers crossed) Eze before getting to worried, this doesn't feel wuite like Frank De Boer...yet.

I'm mostly worried about the Brighton game at the end of September if we haven;'t got our shit together, they owe us big style for that, daylight robbery,  shithouse, Benteke in the 94th minute win attheir gaff last year. 

You have a real gem in Olise, as long as you let him play in a free-role and don’t expect him to do much defensive work, he should be a real star for you.

Leeds are definitely taking a gamble not strengthening more this summer. We've laboured so far, and the Man Utd game was a car crash. I think we'll stay up, but could easily get pulled into it. An injury to Philips would be big trouble. 

1 minute ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Fuck sake. 

Fernandes down first half wolves on the attack, wolves kick it out. 

Neves down, United on the attack, they carry on. 

Cheers lads

😂 are you serious?