Football Thread 2021/2022

Plissken

On 17/06/2022 at 12:36, glb said:

The AT&T stadium is ridiculous. Sat in the club seats for WrestleMania with brisket on tap. Seats like armchairs, LED screen that’s bigger than Norwich above the pitch. Total prawn sandwich megadome. It’s not in Dallas but Arlington (about half an hour in a taxi) although it does have a Six Flags nearby, should Frank Lampard want to give his brave squad an afternoon off.

I did the tour there recently, it's an amazing facility. Waiting to hear the match schedule to buy tickets, although Kansas is closer if my group ends up there.

Can't pass up the opportunity to watch some world cup games when it's within driving distance.

11 hours ago, TehStu said:

I did the tour there recently, it's an amazing facility. Waiting to hear the match schedule to buy tickets, although Kansas is closer if my group ends up there.

Can't pass up the opportunity to watch some world cup games when it's within driving distance.

That’s a tour I’d love to do! Was genuinely breathtaking walking in and seeing the sheer size of the place.

Was the tour thorough? Imagine the player’s areas to be massive, and the locker rooms being more like fancy health spas.

1 hour ago, glb said:

That’s a tour I’d love to do! Was genuinely breathtaking walking in and seeing the sheer size of the place.

Was the tour thorough? Imagine the player’s areas to be massive, and the locker rooms

being more like fancy health spas.

Yup, it takes 90 minutes and involves a lot of walking (heads up if you're bringing kids). You start at top deck  behind the end zone and work your way down via private booths, changing rooms, etc. They'd just had monster truck racing there when I visited, so the pitch was up and they were cleaning the jumbotron. Takes them days, with a pressure washer and lift moving the guys around. I got to touch the concrete floor the pitch would have sat on, kinda rare I guess!

If you've got a long layover at DFW or whatever, I recommend anyone get out to Arlington and see it. Amazing.

I love it when players give back like that, Mane is securing the future of his home town for generations to come.  Ulysses de la Cruz did the same thing for his village when he was in the Premier League with Villa, he went on to become whatever the Ecuadorean equivalent of an MP is after he retired and a UNICEF ambassador.  

On 18/06/2022 at 10:32, feltmonkey said:

That was Bobby Madley, the poor bastard. 

I'm not suggesting that he deserved what happened or anything but didn't this come about because he / the refs association gave a weird, vague explanation of him leaving his job - when seemingly he'd been sacked for being filmed taking the piss out of a disabled person - and then this stupid rumour started online as a possible explanation? Maybe there was more to it, but sounds like it at least originated, however indirectly, from his own actions.

Bale mania ramping up as he is back in Cardiff and spoke to the City manager, but while he was at the training ground for a Physio appointment.  Everyone I know claims to know someone who knows for certain he is coming, but all the info contradicts each other.

He's been planning it for 18 months, he has had a medical, he is having a medical and his kids have enrolled in school, he has joined the Golf Club, etc becuase someone is mates with his Dad/security guard/physio/gardener.

Similar with Ramsey although that has less substance as apparantly his kids never went to Italy and are here anyway.